Getting Started with Web User Control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Terry Holland, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. I am developing an vb.net web application and am noticing a lot of pages
    need a very similar set of controls. Im attempting to encapsulate these
    into a web user control but am having real difficulties.

    Could someone send me some example code for this very simple scenario

    MyControl.ascx
    ===========
    one textbox and a submit button

    MyPage.aspx
    =========
    an instance of MyControl and a label

    From MyPage.aspx, I want to be able to detect the button_click of the button
    on the user control, and populate the label with the value that is in the
    user control's textbox.

    I know this is a very simple problem, but all of the examples that I have
    looked at have not produced the result that I am after.

    thanks in advance

    Terry Holland
    Terry Holland, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Terry Holland

    Brock Allen Guest

    You need have have your UserControl raise its own event. Here's an example:

    http://odetocode.com/Articles/94.aspx

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Steven

    How do I locate your attachment? I usually view newsgroup via Microsoft
    Outlook News Reader and the attachment is obvious in this program. I am
    currently using a machine that I have to view using web browser & I cant find
    the attachment

    Thanks

    Terry

    Terry Holland, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Steven
    I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to provide
    an example in vb?

    Terry Holland, Jul 27, 2005
  5. No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the first
    brush :)

    I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "Terry Holland" <>
    | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    | Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:05:07 +0100
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Steven
    | I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to
    provide
    | an example in vb?
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Thanks for Brock's informative inputs.
    | >
    | > Hi Terry,
    | >
    | > As for the question you mentioned, generally the simplest means is to
    | > declare a public custom event property in the Usercontrol and register
    the
    | > eventhandler in the host page's class so that we can hook the
    event.(Also
    | > we need to raise that event in our usercontrol's postback event code).
    | > I've attached a simple demo in this message's attachment. You can also
    | have
    | > a look if you have interests.
    | >
    | > Hope helps. Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: Brock Allen <>
    | > | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > | Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:16:42 -0700
    | > |
    | > | You need have have your UserControl raise its own event. Here's an
    | > example:
    | > |
    | > | http://odetocode.com/Articles/94.aspx
    | > |
    | > | -Brock
    | > | DevelopMentor
    | > | http://staff.develop.com/ballen
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 28, 2005
  6. Hi Terry,

    I've attached the VB.NET one in this message. Please feel free to let me
    know if you meet any problems getting it or if anything else we can help.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:57:37 GMT
    | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the first
    | brush :)
    |
    | I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Steven Cheng
    | Microsoft Online Support

    | rights.)
    |

    | --------------------
    | | From: "Terry Holland" <>
    | | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    | | Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:05:07 +0100
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | |
    | | Steven
    | | I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to
    | provide
    | | an example in vb?
    | |
    | | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | | > Thanks for Brock's informative inputs.
    | | >
    | | > Hi Terry,
    | | >
    | | > As for the question you mentioned, generally the simplest means is to
    | | > declare a public custom event property in the Usercontrol and
    register
    | the
    | | > eventhandler in the host page's class so that we can hook the
    | event.(Also
    | | > we need to raise that event in our usercontrol's postback event
    code).
    | | > I've attached a simple demo in this message's attachment. You can also
    | | have
    | | > a look if you have interests.
    | | >
    | | > Hope helps. Thanks,
    | | >
    | | > Steven Cheng
    | | > Microsoft Online Support
    | | >
    | | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | | > rights.)
    | | > --------------------
    | | > example:
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | scenario

    | the
    | that

    | | > |

    | | > |
    | | > |
    | |
    | |
    | |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 28, 2005
  7. Thanks

    I had previously been using the line

    Private WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.

    My code failed to respond to event using this declaration

    I studied your code and changed my declaration to

    Protected WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.

    My code worked after setting to Protected.

    I notice that you also use

    Protected MyControl1 as MyControl. '(No WithEvents)
    and in the Form_Load you use the AddHandler ....

    What are the differences between to two diff methods? Both methods work if
    the control is declared as Protected

    Thanks

    Terry Holland

    > Hi Terry,
    >
    > I've attached the VB.NET one in this message. Please feel free to let me
    > know if you meet any problems getting it or if anything else we can help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steven Cheng
    > Microsoft Online Support

    > rights.)
    > --------------------
    > | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    > | Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:57:37 GMT
    > | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    > |
    > | No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the first
    > | brush :)
    > |
    > | I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Steven Cheng
    > | Microsoft Online Support
    > |
    > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    > | rights.)
    > |

    > | --------------------
    > | | From: "Terry Holland" <>
    > | | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    > | | Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:05:07 +0100
    > | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    > | |
    > | | Steven
    > | | I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to
    > | provide
    > | | an example in vb?
    > | |
    > | | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    > register
    > | the
    > | event.(Also
    > code).

    also
    > | | have

    no

    66.30.185.175

    Terry Holland, Jul 28, 2005
  8. Hi Terry,

    For your further questions:

    1. Since the ASP.NET's page model is the actual page class (executing at
    runtime) is a derived class from our code behind class. So all the control
    reference we declare in the codebehind must be protected or public so that
    the derived page class( dynamically compiled at runtime) can accessing
    these control reference properties.

    2. For WithEvent, it's just help to simplify our work for registering
    event handler for controls, when we don't mark control reference with
    WithEvent, we must use "AddHandler" to explicitly register event handler
    for control's event.
    When declaring with "WithEvent" on a certain Control( eg. ctrl1). Then,
    when we define a event handler function like:

    proteced SUB ctrl1_clicked(.....)
    end sub

    we can use the " handles" keyword to bind the event handler, like:

    Private Sub ctrl1_Click(.........) Handles ctrl1.Click

    BTW, since I'm more familiar with C# so generally I don't care much about
    the VBNET's withevent syntax :)

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "Terry Holland" <>
    | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    | Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:15:48 +0100
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | I had previously been using the line
    |
    | Private WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.
    |
    | My code failed to respond to event using this declaration
    |
    | I studied your code and changed my declaration to
    |
    | Protected WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.
    |
    | My code worked after setting to Protected.
    |

    | I notice that you also use
    |
    | Protected MyControl1 as MyControl. '(No WithEvents)
    | and in the Form_Load you use the AddHandler ....
    |
    | What are the differences between to two diff methods? Both methods work
    if
    | the control is declared as Protected
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Terry Holland
    |

    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Terry,
    | >
    | > I've attached the VB.NET one in this message. Please feel free to let me
    | > know if you meet any problems getting it or if anything else we can
    help.

    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | > | Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:57:37 GMT
    | > | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > |
    | > | No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the
    first
    | > | brush :)
    | > |
    | > | I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,
    | > |
    | > | Steven Cheng
    | > | Microsoft Online Support
    | > |
    | > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | > | rights.)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --------------------