Getting Started with Web User Control

Terry Holland

I am developing an vb.net web application and am noticing a lot of pages
need a very similar set of controls. Im attempting to encapsulate these
into a web user control but am having real difficulties.

Could someone send me some example code for this very simple scenario

MyControl.ascx
===========
one textbox and a submit button

MyPage.aspx
=========
an instance of MyControl and a label

From MyPage.aspx, I want to be able to detect the button_click of the button
on the user control, and populate the label with the value that is in the
user control's textbox.

I know this is a very simple problem, but all of the examples that I have
looked at have not produced the result that I am after.

thanks in advance

Terry Holland

Terry Holland

Steven

How do I locate your attachment? I usually view newsgroup via Microsoft
Outlook News Reader and the attachment is obvious in this program. I am
currently using a machine that I have to view using web browser & I cant find
the attachment

Thanks

Terry

Terry Holland

Steven
I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to provide
an example in vb?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the first
brush :)

I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:05:07 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Steven
| I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to
provide
| an example in vb?
|
| | > Thanks for Brock's informative inputs.
| >
| > Hi Terry,
| >
| > As for the question you mentioned, generally the simplest means is to
| > declare a public custom event property in the Usercontrol and register
the
| > eventhandler in the host page's class so that we can hook the
event.(Also
| > we need to raise that event in our usercontrol's postback event code).
| > I've attached a simple demo in this message's attachment. You can also
| have
| > a look if you have interests.
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: Brock Allen <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > | Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:16:42 -0700
| > |
| > | You need have have your UserControl raise its own event. Here's an
| > example:
| > |
| > | http://odetocode.com/Articles/94.aspx
| > |
| > | -Brock
| > | DevelopMentor
| > | http://staff.develop.com/ballen
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > |

| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Terry,

I've attached the VB.NET one in this message. Please feel free to let me
know if you meet any problems getting it or if anything else we can help.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:57:37 GMT
| Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the first
| brush :)
|
| I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| | Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:05:07 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | Steven
| | I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to
| provide
| | an example in vb?
| |

| | > Hi Terry,
| | >
| | > As for the question you mentioned, generally the simplest means is to
| | > declare a public custom event property in the Usercontrol and
register
| the
| | > eventhandler in the host page's class so that we can hook the
| event.(Also
| | > we need to raise that event in our usercontrol's postback event
code).
| | > I've attached a simple demo in this message's attachment. You can also
| | have
| | > a look if you have interests.
| | >
| | > Hope helps. Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | > --------------------
| | > example:
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| scenario

| the
| that

| | > |

| | > |
| | > |
| |
| |
| |

Terry Holland

Thanks

I had previously been using the line

Private WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.

My code failed to respond to event using this declaration

I studied your code and changed my declaration to

Protected WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.

My code worked after setting to Protected.

I notice that you also use

Protected MyControl1 as MyControl. '(No WithEvents)
and in the Form_Load you use the AddHandler ....

What are the differences between to two diff methods? Both methods work if
the control is declared as Protected

Thanks

Terry Holland

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Terry,

I've attached the VB.NET one in this message. Please feel free to let me
know if you meet any problems getting it or if anything else we can help.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:57:37 GMT
| Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the first
| brush :)
|
| I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| | Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:05:07 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | Steven
| | I have managed to download your attachment. would it be possible to
| provide
| | an example in vb?
| |

| | > Hi Terry,
| | >
| | > As for the question you mentioned, generally the simplest means is to
| | > declare a public custom event property in the Usercontrol and
register
| the
| | > eventhandler in the host page's class so that we can hook the
| event.(Also
| | > we need to raise that event in our usercontrol's postback event
code).
| | > I've attached a simple demo in this message's attachment. You can also
| | have
| | > a look if you have interests.
| | >
| | > Hope helps. Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | > --------------------
| | > example:
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| scenario

| the
| that

| | > |

| | > |
| | > |
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Terry,

For your further questions:

1. Since the ASP.NET's page model is the actual page class (executing at
runtime) is a derived class from our code behind class. So all the control
reference we declare in the codebehind must be protected or public so that
the derived page class( dynamically compiled at runtime) can accessing
these control reference properties.

2. For WithEvent, it's just help to simplify our work for registering
event handler for controls, when we don't mark control reference with
WithEvent, we must use "AddHandler" to explicitly register event handler
for control's event.
When declaring with "WithEvent" on a certain Control( eg. ctrl1). Then,
when we define a event handler function like:

proteced SUB ctrl1_clicked(.....)
end sub

we can use the " handles" keyword to bind the event handler, like:

Private Sub ctrl1_Click(.........) Handles ctrl1.Click

BTW, since I'm more familiar with C# so generally I don't care much about
the VBNET's withevent syntax :)

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Terry Holland" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:15:48 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Thanks
|
| I had previously been using the line
|
| Private WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.
|
| My code failed to respond to event using this declaration
|
| I studied your code and changed my declaration to
|
| Protected WithEvents MyControl1 as MyControl.
|
| My code worked after setting to Protected.
|

| I notice that you also use
|
| Protected MyControl1 as MyControl. '(No WithEvents)
| and in the Form_Load you use the AddHandler ....
|
| What are the differences between to two diff methods? Both methods work
if
| the control is declared as Protected
|
| Thanks
|
| Terry Holland
|

| | > Hi Terry,
| >
| > I've attached the VB.NET one in this message. Please feel free to let me
| > know if you meet any problems getting it or if anything else we can
help.

| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:57:37 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: Getting Started with Web User Control
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | No problem. Since C# is my prefered one so I always use C# at the
first
| > | brush :)
| > |
| > | I'll rewrite a VB.NET one and attache it later.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------