Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way

Joe Attardi

Mine have been calm and rational almost to a fault
Oh?Easy there, killer.

At this point, the issue isn't even your approach to the original
problem, it's your outright refusal to consider any advice that's been
given to you. Of course, you don't see it as advice, because we are all
just a bunch of meanies because we don't think your approach is the
best thing ever.

Of course by this point, nothing I say is going to change your mind.
You are firmly locked into the mindset that everyone is just out to get
you.

Joe Attardi

P.S.: if I do at some time in the future become a professional software
developer, you can breathe easy knowing that I'll be sure to stay five
thousand *miles* away from any project team with anyone like *you*.

Why is that? Because I insist on sticking to practices that have been
long-established as the best way to do things?
Because I don't consider another approach unless there is a very good
and convincing justification?

Here's the thing - you have failed to show that your novel approach has
any advantage over the classloader method. The only advantage it seems
to have is that it excuses you from learning any new development tools.
Do you realize that all the energy you've spent vehemently disagreeing
with everybody here could have been spent learning Ant? But that won't
matter to you, because you'd rather keep up the fight here.

What exactly are you trying to prove? And this time maybe you can
respond to all my questions instead of 'snipping' them.

Andrew Thompson

Daniel Dyer wrote:
You don't have to stop posting, but you could consider not using Google
Groups.

Sure, if it is not working for you..
...If you use a real NNTP client,

...or another web interface to usenet..*
...Google won't have any say in your
Usenet activity. As long as you abide by your ISP's Acceptable Use
Policy, you'll be able to post as much as you like.

For that ..you need an ISP, or at least, an ability
to install and configure a news client. That *might*
not be possible if posting through ..
- the college computer lab
- the computers at the local library
- an internet cafe.. (I think you get the picture)
...Yes, like many of the
suggestions in this thread, this does require a small amount of effort on
your part, but most news clients are pretty straightforward.

As would be adjusting to the quirks of a new web
interface, they are all different, each has their rules,
and (I guess) each has its own irritating 'features'.

* Here are some web-based alternatives, that both
seem to provide feeds of c.l.j.programmer..
<http://www.javakb.com/Default.aspx>
<http://codecomments.com/>

Note that I have slagged both those web-interfaces,
as well as Google groups (who I currently use, to post) -
in public, on earlier occasions.. I do not see their
inherent faults as being 'fatal to communication'
(or spelling 'the end of usenet as we know it' -
for that matter).

Andrew T.

PofN

Believe me, anyone with any level of relevant experience that is
reading this thread has already pegged you as a stubborn idiot. You did
that all by yourself.

He proved that without and doubt in this whole

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...d2160451bb0/f9ae8ef5f3402cf6#f9ae8ef5f3402cf6

thread. And don't forget that Twisted likes to play the sock puppet
game, too. In an older thread you can find him asking a question In
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.fashion/msg/6ec6f6deaa96a30a
as Twister.

Answered his own question in
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.fashion/msg/0ed7e2916ae9d860 as
nebulou.

Congratulates himself for the answer in
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.fashion/msg/b407c0177c33a010 as
Twisted again.

To Twisted:

Hey you loonley maroon, I know you are reading this despite your faked
PLONK. How does it feel to be discovered? Come on, tell us how you
feel. Do you really think we are all out to get you? I mean it is great
that you think we control your google groups account. But that legal
threat thing. Do you really had to go so low?

Your posting in
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/65d0b882a49ea745
was so great. I have to quote that here:

P.S. to the person who has AGAIN made Google think I've posted over
their stupid limit (when in fact I've posted maybe a dozen articles in
the past 24 hours): I TOLD YOU NEVER TO FUCKING DO THAT EVER AGAIN!! I
ALSO TOLD YOU THAT I DO NOT ***EVER*** WANT TO SEE ANY MESSAGE
REJECTING ANY POSTING OF MINE TO AN UNMODERATED USENET GROUP ***EVER***
***AGAIN***!!! OBVIOUSLY YOU DID NOT FUCKING LISTEN!!! THAT MEANS
WAR!!! I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND ENSURE YOU DO NOT BOTHER ME AGAIN. DO
NOT EXPECT YOUR COMPUTER OR NETWORK ACCESS TO SURVIVE THE WEEK ASSHOLE.

Bent C Dalager

Well, it has to fall back on something in the (too-common) case the
server provides no Content-Type: header.

It will tend to fall back to the save dialog. I don't see why this is
relevant.
Regardless of which, the cue
for a human as to what kind of file to expect is the file extension,
and it's a human who decides what links are worth following and what
links aren't. An unfamiliar extension tends to mean an unfamiliar
content type, which tends to mean a missing-plugin message or save-as
and then a file they haven't the tools to use. Therefore, an unfamiliar
extension tends to mean the link is not clicked, and that decision is
not one you can fault unless there was a lot of information next to the
link that would mean otherwise.

The decision is trivial to fault when I observe that simply clicking
the link to see if it was understood by your browser would have been a
far easier solution that writing a reply explaining that you thought
perhaps that maybe your system might not be able to handle that link.

Cheers
Bent D

Bent C Dalager

Those would not, presumably, matter for a single-computer single-user
setup anyway.

Exactly. And these are the only complications I can recall. The rest
was smooth sailing.

Cheers
Bent D

PofN

if I do at some time in the future become a professional software
developer,

Unlikely to happen. Certain required social skills, like being able to
work with others, are not in evidence.
you can breathe easy knowing that I'll be sure to stay five
thousand *miles* away from any project team with anyone like *you*.

You know that you would do us a favor? Can you live with that though?
Oh, by the way, Google decided to decorate your posting with the
following "Sponsored Link":

Diapers for Dogs & Cats
Disposable, odor resistant diapers
for pets work. Buy and try today!
www.PlanetUrine.com

Looks like Google's adword algorithm is brighter than I thought.

RedGrittyBrick

Twisted said:
You write sample programs just to respond to newsgroup messages? But
the overhead of creating a new project, main class, etc. ... It doesn't
seem worth it. Or are you talking about quick jots in things like BASIC
or Smalltalk that lend themselves to such uses?

It's not just Patricia, I find it only takes a couple of minutes to
write a 30-line Swing app to illustrate some problem or it's solution.

I use Eclipse. I'm surprised you find using Eclipse to be so difficult
that you'd not attempt this!

Bent C Dalager

It translates to "Whatever I do, there is never an occasion where I am
at fault". (...)

Or malign side effects? You don't say (that they will or that they
won't).

Knowing that you basically consider yourself to be flawless is helpful
when composing answers to your posts, hopefully increasing the
usefulness of those posts. This is a benign side effect. I can't
off-hand think of any typical malign side effects that might arise.

Cheer
Bent D

Bent C Dalager

OK, I take that back. What *universe* are you from? Because on *any*
planet in *this* one, game theory and other basic truths of mathematics
must hold invariant, and one of the commonest rules of games is that if
you walk away from an unfinished game other than in an agreed draw, it
constitutes a forfeit.

Our understanding of human psychology and human/human interactions is
too incomplete to be able to apply any kind of mathematics on it and
expect to get useful answers out of the process.

As for game theory, if that is what you are trying to apply here then
it seems to me you are entirely ignoring the shadow of the future in
your analysis, and you may be stuck in a trivial model where you think
there are only two distinct players in the game.

Cheers
Bent D

Simon Brooke

in message <[email protected]>,
I don't think I'm drastically overestimating the complexity of
installing, configuring, and using one for the first time as a complete
n00b.

Sure you are. One command, run only once ever:

apt-get install cvs

(mind you if you aren't running a sensible operating system it will be a
little more complex, but you still only have to install it once).

Then all you need to do is go to the 'Team' menu in the Eclipse package
explorer and select 'Share project'. After you've done that, every time
you've finished a day's work, select 'Team -> Commit', and that preserves
where you were up to at the end of that day.

Creating versions and branches is a little more complex and merging
branches is a lot more complex, but you don't need to do those things on a
single-developer project (although even on a one-person project branches
can be handy).

Simon Brooke

Twisted said:
Simon Brooke wrote:

Hrm. So most of the complexity and work would be on the "setting up the
server" side of things.

You don't have to set up the server - it works straight out of the box.
There is no configuration to do.

Daniel Pitts

Everyone else on a singe newsgroup is not "everyone else".

Get MORE respect, by NOT disputing when people insinuate bad things
about me? I'm sorry, but that is grossly illogical.

Well, its been fun, troll. Next time you want help, prey that I'm not
the only person who knows the answer. I know that's unlikely, but if
it happens, you'll be SOL.

Damn, no wonder google group users have a bad reputation.

Twisted

Mark said:
It reflects the ONLINE world. [snip]

Stop attempting to find some interpretation of events from which you
can draw the conclusion that I did something wrong. There is none --
because I didn't. If Google's behavior is sometimes unpredictable or
counterintuitive, then that is ipso facto not my fault, no matter what
your proposed explanation for it.

Twisted

Mark said:
Once you are satisfied that it is secure, all you have to do is click on
the link.

Of course, this is fine. What is screwy is the earlier situation where:
a) .jnlp file links are provided with no information about what they
are and what plugins or other software they require to view or use,
apparently on the assumption that everyone here already knew (an
assumption that, I might add, was rather quickly disproven); then b) it
was suggested or implied that people who didn't recognize the format
should have just clicked on them(!).

Note that b) is quite possibly the stupidest piece of advice I have
ever heard in my life, not counting such slightly-worse but generally
facetious suggestions as "go play in traffic" or "why don't you stick
your finger in the socket and find out [whether 110VAC can kill a grown
man]".

"If you don't recognize the file type, just click on it and see what
happens" is on a similar level to "don't use a firewall" or "by all
means, surf with a default-configuration Windows 98 box!", except that
I've never heard the latter two actually suggested by someone who meant
it seriously. What you may know about the safety of these particular
URLs or of that specific file format is irrelevant; the take-home
message for Joe Random is going to be the general statement given
above, with predictable results.

Twisted

Daniel said:
You don't have to stop posting, but you could consider not using Google
Groups.

I thought it was implicit but obvious that I don't actually have any
alternatives. The only other web news I'm aware of is narrowly specific
to a handful of newsgroups (and this one is not one of them); my ISP
discontinued usenet access for its customers months ago (without, I
might add, discontinuing the monthly cost of providing it from my
monthly bill).
If you use a real NNTP client, Google won't have any say in your
Usenet activity.

Particularly as there will be no such activity. Not without a server to
connect to with it. The only ones I've heard of are all either:
a) Specific to customers of one ISP (and none of them mine anymore);
b) Actually charging money (and then I'm paying twice, since as I noted
above I'm still paying whatever part of my monthly ISP bill once
covered their costs in providing usenet access); or
c) Do not provide users the option of munging their e-mail address or
otherwise dodging spam, probably because they make back their costs in
some way that involves spam.

Google does keep saying that they'll add NNTP access for GG
accountholders RSN, but I'm not holding my breath...and besides, how do
I know they wouldn't impose arbitrary limits there too?

Not that it matters. The limit, whatever it is (I can't find a number
per day quoted *anywhere*, on or off google.com!), is surely more than
12 per day. Since it blocked me one day after posting fewer than that
many that day from the affected account, it follows that either
somebody can simulate the same block, somebody can make Google
effectively temporarily lower its limit for a particular user, or
somebody can make Google think a given post was actually several, all
of which then count toward its author's limit. For reasons stated
earlier I still think it's the third of these (noting that it's
possible for more than one of the above to apply).
I'd love to help, but it's out of my control.

Whose control is it in, and at what email address or (toll-free!) phone
number can I contact them immediately and be assured that my complaint
will be read or listened to in its entirety, considered carefully, and
acted on in a just manner?

Twisted

Patricia said:
Google's statements about posting limits suggest far more complexity
than simply posts-per-day. See
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=15331

Irrelevant. Posting only a dozen in one day should not trigger any kind
of limit. If they made it complex, they may have made it overly complex
and too prone to false positives, but I doubt that is solely the
explanation for the attack I experienced, especially seeing as it was
swiftly repeated.

The fact that the second attack came within hours of my admonishing the
unidentified responsible party never to do it again is itself telling.
Obviously, unless the "limit" was somehow influenced by my posting that
demand to this newsgroup, that's a damned odd coincidence. On the other
hand, if it is influenced by my postings here, that means a human here
is responsible. One who responded in a predictably petulant, defiant,
and childish way by immediately doing again what he'd been instructed
not to do again.

Computers with complex, buggy software don't react predictably to a
natural-language order like that with a petulant contrariness. Human
beings, on the other hand, by and large react in exactly the way
observed. Ergo, the "limit", in this specific case, is the result of
human behavior, and the human in question reads this group.

You see, anticipating people finding some putative "natural"
explanation for the attack I experienced (and yes, I do consider the
rejecting of my postings to unmoderated groups and accompanying threats
of catastrophic data loss to constitute attacks, however triggered), I
laid a trap by posting the sort of response that I knew would make any
human miscreant hit their Big Red Button(tm) again as soon as they read
it but would not have any more effect on a computer algorithm than any
other posting of mine. And of course someone promptly *did* hit the Big
Red Button...

Oh, do they? Routed to /dev/null, or actually going somewhere? Do they
have a proper email address I could use instead? Web forms *are* a
rather fragile medium for composing a message, after all -- which is
why I consider the attacks to have created a threat of catastrophic
data loss. Whereas my email client has such nice options as "keep a
copy", "save draft", automatic retries if the smtp server fails to
respond, and various other means to make recovery easy if the message
bounces or seems to fall on deaf ears (or /dev/null).

Twisted

Joe said:
Why is that? Because I insist on sticking to practices that have been
long-established as the best way to do things?
Because I don't consider another approach unless there is a very good
and convincing justification?

No, because you flame anyone who doesn't do things exactly the same way
you do, know everything you do, and believe everything you do.

Which, by the way, means that your decision to investigate this
"usenet" thing was an extraordinarily stupid decision, at least in
hindsight. ;)

(And an extraordinarily typical one. One more for the "If I had a dime
for every ..." file.)
Here's the thing - you have failed to show that your novel approach has
any advantage over the classloader method.

I have failed at nothing. I am not required to show anything, save
perhaps that in the specific instance in question it has no
*dis*advantage. Oh, and by the way, anyone who believes that they can
make it a requirement in an unmoderated newsgroup that I show even
*that* much is an arrogant prick.

Also, as the very first post mentioning the approach in question
indicated, it is not "my novel approach"; it is an approach described
by the first Web page (a page at sun.com!) that I found Googling for
information regarding my goals at the time.

So you must either fault me for Googling for information regarding my
goals and then investigating and implementing the first candidate found
at sun.com, then sticking with it provisionally when it proved to work,
or admit to making at least 1 error in judgment.
The only advantage it seems
to have is that it excuses you from learning any new development tools.

You appear to come from the perspective of someone both experienced
with certain tools and perhaps in an environment where most of the
people you come into contact with are expected or even required to use
them regularly.

Unfortunately, you carried expectations formed in that environment over
to Usenet, and the rest is, as they say, history.

Novice Java developers will come here a) not knowing all of the tools
that are out there (if anyone *ever* will; there do seem to be *so*
many...) and b) not actually caring to just yet. Many will be acutely
aware of a need to pace themselves or risk burning out on too much new
stuff too fast. Unfortunately, when they arrive here, you will flame
them and they will grow discouraged. It will be their impression that
many of the "community elders" are arrogant and rude, and moreover,
their impression apparently will be correct. "Tools are great, but the
community sucks" has actually sunk some promising new technologies in
the past, although Java has enough widespread usage and inertia that it
is clearly not at risk of that particular fate. However, a widespread
perception that "experienced Java developers are know-it-alls and
pricks with zero tolerance for newbies or independent thinking" will
nonetheless have negative consequences. Please quit contributing to
that perception before it does become widespread.
Do you realize that all the energy you've spent vehemently disagreeing
with everybody here could have been spent learning Ant? But that won't
matter to you, because you'd rather keep up the fight here.

Actually, I have no interest in fighting, and you may have noticed that
for all my various blocks and deflections I have not actually landed
many blows of my own. My interest was in getting certain information.
Now, thanks partially to you, it is in correcting all of the various
misconceptions about me, misapplications of logic, and twisted chains
of reasoning that have sprung up of late. The "misconceptions about me"
category being mandatory for obvious reasons, and the others being the
most likely routes to convincing some of the people here to weed out
the various bogus conclusions their faulty inference rules computed as
theorems, so that they quit repeatedly stating these, thus furthering
the mandatory one.

Ultimately, it is *you* who started by vehemently disagreeing with
*me*, by responding to one person's sincere and honest efforts with
derision and flamage and then expecting to be thanked! The only
appropriate response there can be "thanks for nothing"; I'd be better
off if you had never responded, although arguably better off still if
you had responded politely and diplomatically rather than immediately
putting me in the position of having to defend myself and my actions up
to that point or else.

I'm still not sure whether your choosing to write some of your earlier
postings to this thread in such a way as to put my honor in question
and at stake was a deliberate and hostile act or just a stupid mistake.
Either way, though, it seems we're all stuck with the consequences. And
that last applies to everyone who responded less than civilly to a
civil post of mine here.
What exactly are you trying to prove?

Nothing. I am trying to *dis*prove a number of false allegations that
people have made of late, regarding both my personal traits (such as my
IQ and my competence in various areas) and regarding my actions in
connection with this particular project.

False allegations which have been made either stupidly or maliciously,
but definitely without provocation (i.e. a harmful wrongdoing on my
part, resulting in someone else being insulted, injured, or suffering
property damage, perpetrated beforehand) or anything resembling
supporting evidence (hence the twisted logical scaffolds full of holes
people keep trying to hastily erect under these unsupported accusations
when I respond with skepticism...)
And this time maybe you can respond to all my questions instead of 'snipping' them.

Satisfied? (Even if many of these questions have been asked and answerd
a dozen times already. Tell me sir, are you a psychiatrist or lawyer of
some sort?)

nebulous99

PofN wrote:
[snip drivel]

Oh hello, I've heard great things about you. (For sufficiently small
values of "great".)

[snip more drivel]

Hrm, no original material left, just quoted material that incorrectly
is a) not from the parent (or you replied to the wrong message,
breaking the references chain) and b) not indented another level.

At least there are no statements that aren't laughably false for me to
have to take the time to refute in detail. You fail to make anything
resembling a logical argument, let alone one that's *on topic for this
newsgroup*, although you make up for it with a liberal dose of dubious
and broken URLs (not one of which works, probably because they're all
WAY TOO FUCKING LONG, MORON!)...
P.S. to the person who has AGAIN made Google think I've posted over
their stupid limit...[snip]

I am now increasingly suspecting that that person is you, PofN. You are
easily the least rational and most violent personality to be found in
today's crop of crap messages insisting on my attention, and you did
take particular interest in quoting it, and the previous prime suspects
now look innocent, so ...

By the way, using your handle to automatically aggravate everyone with
an unexplained, not-in-the-FAQ, ungooglably-short acronym in every
posting is really something, you know that?

P.S. my GG account being disabled for the third time while sending THIS
VERY REPLY has removed ALL remaining doubt that you are the one
attacking me in that particular underhanded way. I am now, by the time
you read this (assuming you even do), already dissecting the headers to
figure out what in them makes Google count my followups to your
postings as more than one post. I should have prepared a remedy to
immunize myself from being affected any further by sunup. Moron.