Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way

Twisted

Thomas said:
That is true. If you have never worked with a CVS before, then you need
to learn the concepts, which admitely takes more then 10 minutes.

And that changes the entire balance of the argument.
And yes, I did have to learn how to use the CVS features before doing
that, but then this is part of being a professional software developer.

If I ever decide to try (this would have to be some time when the tech
economy and job climate are drastically different from today's, making
it worth the effort), I'll keep that in mind.

Twisted

Oliver said:
Most webbrowsers don't actually understand php or shtml. Typically, when
an URL ends with these extensions, they are actually serving HTML content.

Entirely beside the point. An *unfamiliar* file extension generally
means "little point in trying", since it usually leads to the save
as... dialog and no clue what to do with the resulting file, or else to
the "You are missing a required plugin" message (exact details
regarding the latter vary by browser) and no idea what plugin or where
it can be found or even whether one exists for that data type.
Well, we could tell you, but you might not take our word for it. Why not
try googling for "jnlp"?

It's item #5,355,646 on my burgeoning things-to-do list; thanks.

Twisted

Patricia said:
Well, there was the day I switched from working on an NCR proprietary
operating system working on a UNIX-based operating system:

C, make, Bourne shell, C-shell, UUCP, UNIX e-mail, USENET, RCS, ed, vi,
emacs, find, grep, sort, awk, lpr, troff, ...

In a *single day*?
I felt like a kid in a candy store with so much fun stuff to learn.

If you actually had something pressing you needed to get done and were
floundering in a morass of unfamiliar tools with no guide, I can't
imagine any other "feeling" besides the one commonly known as "panic".
I can only assume that either you had weeks to fool around with stuff
and no stronger immediate goals, or you're highly atypical of other
human beings (or even software developers).
The sample programs I write for answering messages in newsgroups usually
don't go under revision control, because if I messed up a change I could
throw the program away with zero cost.

You write sample programs just to respond to newsgroup messages? But
the overhead of creating a new project, main class, etc. ... It doesn't
seem worth it. Or are you talking about quick jots in things like BASIC
or Smalltalk that lend themselves to such uses?

Twisted

Simon said:
And if you're behind a firewall, they can't, can they?

And if I'm not running such a server, they also can't. And if both,
they *surely* can't. ;)
Ten minutes, more like it.

apt-get install cvs

If I had the OS you seem to be assuming here, then I'd possibly have it
installed rather quickly that way. Actually figuring out how to
configure and use the darn thing, as a first-timer, would be another
matter, I'm sure.
Eclipse isn't configurable as a client for CVS. Eclipse is a working client
for CVS straight out of the box. There's no configuration to do, beyond
pointing it at your server.

Hrm. So most of the complexity and work would be on the "setting up the
server" side of things. And any change to the procedure for working
with a source file that resulted on the client side.

nebulous99

Daniel said:
Google tends to rank things based on relevancy...

Yes. So I assume that the types of results most likely to be relevant
for Joe Blow will dominate the first N hits. Esoteric software used by
only a narrow demographic is unlikely to be relevant for Joe Blow.
You seem to *think* you know a lot, but when 99% of people disagree
with you (most of which provide valid arguments), it might be time to
conceed that you, in strange fact, don't always know what is best.

You misunderstand. Whereas there are many things that I don't know, I
can make probabilistic guesses that this will probably be useless, that
will probably be more work for little gain, and so forth. It is these
that people take issue with. Being probabilistic, there are occasional
exceptions; but then people seem to assume that I have prior knowledge
of *all* the exceptions! That's ridiculous -- how can I? I must base my
decisions on the information I have, not on information I don't have.
1) Never underestimate Google's ability to find what you what. Its not
always the first hit, but it is often the first page. Especially if
everyone else seems to think its a common thing (common enough to
mention only by name and not website)

Everyone else on a singe newsgroup is not "everyone else".
2) When many people are telling you something, try to let go of your
defensiveness. You'll end up learning more for people with more
experience (That IS why you came to this newsgroup, right?), and you'll
get more respect in life.

Get MORE respect, by NOT disputing when people insinuate bad things
about me? I'm sorry, but that is grossly illogical.

P.S. to the person who has AGAIN made Google think I've posted over
their stupid limit (when in fact I've posted maybe a dozen articles in
the past 24 hours): I TOLD YOU NEVER TO FUCKING DO THAT EVER AGAIN!! I
ALSO TOLD YOU THAT I DO NOT ***EVER*** WANT TO SEE ANY MESSAGE
REJECTING ANY POSTING OF MINE TO AN UNMODERATED USENET GROUP ***EVER***
***AGAIN***!!! OBVIOUSLY YOU DID NOT FUCKING LISTEN!!! THAT MEANS
WAR!!! I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND ENSURE YOU DO NOT BOTHER ME AGAIN. DO
NOT EXPECT YOUR COMPUTER OR NETWORK ACCESS TO SURVIVE THE WEEK ASSHOLE.

nebulous99

Daniel said:
You have proven to me that you make far too many assumptions without
even a cursory amount of research to back it up.

You have proven to me that you're a judgmental prick. You seem unable
to avoid arguing against the person ("You make far too many ...") when
you disagree with something they said. The only "assumptions" I make
are the guesses we all make given that none of us are omniscient. If
something doesn't look promising we ignore it unless given reason to
think it might be useful after all. At least, those of us who aren't
gods do. Those here who think they are can go fornicate atop Mount Zeus
or whatever it is gods do and quit being arrogant pricks in Usenet
newsgroups. :)

I don't like people telling me that I'm some sort of idiot for not
either a) knowing something I can't very well have been *born* knowing
and that isn't part of a basic Western education or b) researching
in-depth every single unfamiliar thing that anyone ever happens to
mention in my earshot (I'd spend all my time researching and none doing
anything else, including eating or sleeping).

I need more information to decide what might be worth "researching" and
what isn't. Where that information is lacking, don't get mad at me or
call me names because I decide it is or isn't and you think I made the
wrong decision. If you have such a strong opinion that it isn't or is,
then MAKE SURE YOU MENTION INFORMATION THAT WOULD LEAD OTHERS
UNFAMILIAR WITH THE THING IN QUESTION TO DRAW THE SAME CONCLUSION! For
instance, if you're damn sure fizzledibs are useful to a person, unless
this is going to be self-evident to someone who hadn't heard of
fizzledibs an hour ago, don't simply drop the name "fizzledibs";
include a concise explanation of what these are including at least one
reason why that particular person might find them of interest. And
consider also, that if you're a fizzledib expert you might be overly
inclined to prescribe them as the solution to every problem; when you
have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. Consider the
particular person's circumstances and decide whether they fall into the
(perhaps small) category of exceptions where fizzledibs *aren't*
useful, rather than just reflexively posting "Use fizzledibs! They're
great" in response to nearly everything and then, if asked "What are
fizzledibs?" or "Fizzledibs sound like some kind of X but I need Y
instead", "What kind of an idiot are you?".

Patricia Shanahan

Twisted said:
Patricia Shanahan wrote: ....

In a *single day*?

They got added to the list of available tools on the same day. I didn't
learn them all instantly. On the first day I think I only learned enough
to edit, compile, and run a few simple C programs, not much beyond
hello_world.c

I did need them all for the same project.
If you actually had something pressing you needed to get done and were
floundering in a morass of unfamiliar tools with no guide, I can't
imagine any other "feeling" besides the one commonly known as "panic".
I can only assume that either you had weeks to fool around with stuff
and no stronger immediate goals, or you're highly atypical of other
human beings (or even software developers).

I wasn't "floundering in a morass of unfamiliar tools with no guide". I
had access to books, one of the first things I learned was "man", and I
got advice from people who knew what they were doing.

I did have very urgent short term goals, but part of the advice I got
was which tools were most likely to be useful for those goals. Those
were the tools I learned first.
You write sample programs just to respond to newsgroup messages? But
the overhead of creating a new project, main class, etc. ... It doesn't
seem worth it. Or are you talking about quick jots in things like BASIC
or Smalltalk that lend themselves to such uses?

I'm talking about quick jots in Java, far better for illustrating Java
programming issues than either Basic or Smalltalk.

I keep an Eclipse project "tests" for that sort of thing, so there is no
need to create a new project. Unless the question is about classes, my
quick jot programs only have one class. Indeed, they often only have one
method.

Patricia

wesley.hall

P.S. to the person who has AGAIN made Google think I've posted over
their stupid limit (when in fact I've posted maybe a dozen articles in
the past 24 hours): I TOLD YOU NEVER TO FUCKING DO THAT EVER AGAIN!! I
ALSO TOLD YOU THAT I DO NOT ***EVER*** WANT TO SEE ANY MESSAGE
REJECTING ANY POSTING OF MINE TO AN UNMODERATED USENET GROUP ***EVER***
***AGAIN***!!! OBVIOUSLY YOU DID NOT FUCKING LISTEN!!! THAT MEANS
WAR!!! I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND ENSURE YOU DO NOT BOTHER ME AGAIN. DO
NOT EXPECT YOUR COMPUTER OR NETWORK ACCESS TO SURVIVE THE WEEK ASSHOLE.

As previously indicated, I am done with the 'on-topic' discussion in
this thread.

However, as I have no desire to be a victim of your silly little
vendetta, have you considered that the blocking you are experiencing is
probably a result of a rule on google groups posting that blocks
accounts that have posted a large number of posts to the same newsgroup
in reasonably quick succession (within 1 hour). You cannot deny this is
the case, as both times you have been blocked have come immediately
after flurrys of posts from you where you have posted 6-8 posts in
succession to the same thread on the same group. Wouldn't you consider
this to be a reasonable measure by google to help prevent spamming to
the groups system (an effort I, for one, applaud them for)? Could it be
you are just a victim of a false positive?

Incidently, if you continue to maintain that this was a personal
attack, and I somehow get the blame for this and you decide to make me
the victim of your personal attack, I just want to provide you with
advance warning that I will report any suspicious activity to your
provider (which seems to be Rogers cable services in Toronto Canada),
and in the highly unlikely event (unlikely because I run multiple
firewalls) that you do A) attempt to attack my network and B) cause any
kind of damage. I will also report you (including all relevant
information in this thread) to the Toronto Law enforcement authorities.

Incidentally, I am emmigrating to Toronto in the spring. I look forward
to meeting you at the Toronto Java User Group meetings, despite your
delusions on grandure (in that anyone would bother to take the time to
try to silence you, frankly you are not that important), and your
relatively short temper. I believe I would enjoy debating these issues,
and others like them, with you in person.

Kind Regards

Wesley Hall

nebulous99

Oliver said:
[...]
I am discussion situations like, for instance,

Me: How do I get some foos to do bars?

Other: Why don't you use baz instead?
-or-
Why do you want to get foos to do bars?
-or-
What is the resulting bar used for later on?
... etc.

As opposed to response questions like

What version are you using?
Are the foos of the XYZFoo subclass or the base class?
Do the bars need to be fiddlefaddle, or will just ordinary ones do?

You can clearly see the difference. The former don't further a goal of
determining how I can get some foos to do bars; they do however further
a goal of questioning whether I even want to get foos to do bars, or
what I want the bars for. The latter, on the other hand, are plainly
relevant to narrowing down the specifics of my requirements and of the
exact tool set I have available with which to do the job, without
questioning my requirements themselves.

This is actually pretty standard on most comp.* newsgroups I've been to.

What -- insulting people is, by implying that the decisions they have
already made are stupid without (most often) even knowing much about
their situation and requirements (which they might learn by asking the
*other* sort of questions, but never do!)...
And again, I recommend that you do answer questions of the form "Why don't
you use baz instead?", "Why do you want to get foos to do bars?", and "What
is the resulting bar used for later on?". Again, in my experience, those who
do this are more likely to get the answers they want.

Even though these questions cannot possibly further their goal
directly. In other words, it's a form of payment, rather than something
directly connected with the task being performed.

Justify this system of "payment" please.

And in particular, justify why it resembles the practise of
psychologists and other headshrinks of ignoring what you said and
asking questions that are, at best, tangentially related while refusing
to actually acknowledge what you actually did say or answer the
questions *you* asked. I can see how that *might* be useful in therapy.
I don't see how it can *possibly* be useful in solving a technological
problem of any kind.

I mean, if I asked an electrician buddy of mine whether a room of a
certain purpose should have a 220V outlet or just some 110V ones, I'd
expect to get a straight answer, not the third degree in the form of
"Why? Are you remodeling? Why not do this instead?..." -- if I wanted
to go over my plans, my reasons for them, and alternatives to same I
would bring such topics up myself wouldn't I? The suggestion that I
probably shouldn't even be doing what I'm asking how to do is
condescending and rude!
I think it never occurs to those posters that the questions being posed
of them might be some sort of trap. They just answer them, and then they get
their own questions answered, and everybody is happy.

But *why* are those questions being asked? I can think of only three
reasons to ask those sorts of questions when Joe Schmoe asks something
here:
a) The asker honestly thinks Joe's barking up the wrong tree. If Joe's
fairly sure he's not, they should just tell him how to bark up that
tree, and leave it up to him to decide if a different tree is better --
if he hasn't already compared trees when deciding on his current
choice, which he actually probably has.
b) The asker is hoping to elicit proprietary information that they can
use somehow.
c) The asker is hoping to elicit information that can be used as
supporting evidence and citations in a subsequent public essay entitled
"Why Joe Schmoe is an idiot".

Of the three, a) is patronizing, since it suggests at least a suspicion
that Joe is asking the wrong question or doing the wrong thing, and the
other two are ulterior motives clearly unworthy of being supported by
Joe.

Joe didn't come here to have all of his previous design decisions
questioned; he came here to have a single question of his own answered.
Respect that.
The (paraphrasing here) "Obviously, a Google search for 'ant' wouldn't
give me any results related to the Ant software in question" and "Well, if
it does, then Google has a lot to learn from me." posts are pretty arrogant,
IMHO.

"Paraphrasing" is putting it mildly. The logical guess as to the top
Google results for "ant" is that they'll be entomological in character.
Such a guess might be wrong in a specific instance, but for the general
class of one-word queries where the word has one very common usage and
at least one relatively obscure one, the guess that the top hits will
not relate to that obscure one is right 99.99% of the time, so it is
certainly the way for a betting man to lean.

And of course, if the top Google hit for "ant" is utterly irrelevant to
the meaning of 99.99% of real-world uses of the word, then yes, Google
has a problem. (But I never said it had a lot to learn *from me*, then,
did I?)
Therefore, when I ask a question, probably only 5 to 10 people actually know
the answer with good certainty.

In other words, it will vary with how esoteric the question is.
Chances are, these 10 people aren't reading the newsgroup during the
same period that I'm making the post. Some of them may only read the
newsgroup from work/school, and have gone home for the day, for example. In
that case, I'd probably have to wait until the next day for them to come
back, assuming they check the groups everyday.

That's statistically rather questionable. You seem to suppose that
they'd all read and post during the same time, so that you'd wait up to
a day and then get 10 answers in 10 minutes. It's far more likely that
they'd trickle in at roughly every two hours' interval in this
instance, because it's unlikely that there's any correlation between
when any one of the ten is online and when any other of the ten is
online.

You may be forgetting the international scope of the Internet. It's
always morning somewhere, evening somewhere else, etc...; if you post
your question at midnight in California, the first answer is likely to
be from some technology worker in Japan, where it's early evening and
someone might have just gotten home from work and be catching up on
internet stuff while the oven pre-heats; if you post it at noon, it
might come from a local who's on lunch break almost immediately; and so
forth.
Personally, I tend to check
the groups (but don't bother to read every single message in them) every
weekday, but I don't access them on the weekends. Others may have different
access patterns. This is how I arrived at the 2-3 day figure for "busy"
newsgroups, and "7 days or more" for the less busy ones.

That would work, if everyone who knew anything followed the same
schedule you do (and lived in the same time zone). :)
I think the problem here is that you consider the
statement "the immediate response is clearly and strongly disapproving" to
be objectively true, whereas I consider it to be subjectively true at best,
and false at worst.

You *are* mad, then. One of them said "What are the advantages of doing
it THAT way?!" in incredulity, or something like that, quite early in
this thread. I think the opinion implied is damned clear and
unambiguous, and it *isn't* brimming over with praise at my ingenuity
either. If you can possibly view that one as complimentary or even as
neutral, then your perceptions are way too twisted to be of any use to
me in making decisions. :p
Without getting too metaphysical, I'm saying there may be a difference
between reality and your perception of reality.

Even if there is, it's immaterial; since I have only the latter on
which to base my actions, the remark you made is completely useless.
It's not as if my perceptions aren't as accurate as I can make them,
after all.
I disagree.

See above.
Well, guilt... it's a loaded word. As I've said before, I don't think
this has anything to do with right or wrong. Did you do something "wrong"?
The word "wrong" is meaningless in this context. I think it has more to do
with cause and effect. There was an effect. Did your post participate in the
cause that effect? Yes.

No. It didn't. Not in the way you are implying. Keep in mind that the
"effect" is hostile behavior, which therefore makes it a punishment,
which therefore makes the "cause" something for which the punishers
feel there is "guilt" or "blame" to be assigned. *You* may not feel
there is any to be assigned, but this isn't about what *you* feel, it
is about what *they* feel and how to correct their misconceptions.

For misperceptions they were, seeing as I am clearly being punished
despite having acted in good faith and without ever harboring any
malicious intent, nor acted irresponsibly in a way that foreseeably
increases the risk of harm to others without their consent. Clearly,
punishing behavior under the conditions described is ipso facto unjust,
and equally clearly, responding with any kind of acceptance to it is to
become part of the same injustice -- ironically, becoming guilty of
something at that time.
You drew attention to people no saying anything about obtaining ant,
why? Is it because you wanted to know how to obtain ant?

It was because I found their behavior curious. Which fact I'm sure I'd
mentioned before.
I guess I was wrong about people not liking offtopic posts then.

I haven't made any offtopic posts. Every post that I have made here
that started a new thread involved Java programming; whereas every post
that did not responded to the content of the post being followed-up. If
you can find *one* counterexample (a thread starter by me that doesn't
mention Java, or a followup by me that is completely disconnected from
the parent) then I will be damned surprised.
But again, I might be wrong about that. I've been wrong about guessing
what other people on this group think before.

Apparently, everyone has. Certainly, people have repeatedly and
incorrectly thought that I was disparaging something merely because I
didn't use it first and ask questions later; and I admit I didn't
anticipate this firestorm of controversy would erupt over one lousy
icon(!)...
Not in my opinion.

What would you call it, then?
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it might have happened before an
audience. I can easily imagine Einstein giving a lecture on relativity
before an assembly of physicists, and someone standing up and shouting (in
German) "This is all nonsense!" to which Einstein might have replied "Ok, I
respect your freedom to disagree with me. If you do not wish to hear my
theories, feel free to leave the lecture hall, but there are 200 other
scientists here who seem to be interested in hearing about it, so for their
benefit, I'd like to continue my explanation uninterrupted." And then he
goes on, doing what he was doing before the interruption, as if nothing had
happened.

That is quite different from what you were originally suggesting -- for
one thing it makes it quite clear that Einstein doesn't agree with the
claim that it's "all nonsense". For another, a closer comparison would
be with someone actually publicly calling Einstein himself an idiot,
rather than just disparaging his theories.
I disagree.

What planet are you from? :p
Again, disagreed.

OK, I take that back. What *universe* are you from? Because on *any*
planet in *this* one, game theory and other basic truths of mathematics
must hold invariant, and one of the commonest rules of games is that if
you walk away from an unfinished game other than in an agreed draw, it
constitutes a forfeit. Also, in *this* universe, if two soldiers in
foxholes are popping up and spraying machine-gun fire at one another,
and then (without a negotiated cease-fire) one of them just gets up and
starts walking off, he's liable to get a bullet in his back.
I don't think there's anything to concede. You claim that you think I'm
dumb. I fully believe that you think I'm dumb. And I have no problem with
that, because I don't really care what you think of me. I personally I don't
think I'm dumb. And I don't think there's any conflict with you think I'm
dumb and me thinking I'm not dumb. Just like there'd be no conflict if I
think vanilla tastes better than chocolate, and you think chocolate tastes
better than vanilla. Different people think different things.

But surely you draw the line where someone doesn't just think you're
dumb, but starts trying to convince everyone else that as well? Then
you just have to intervene, either to stop him or to provide their
audience with an alternative theory and some evidence to support it and
refute your opponent's.
Depending on the quality of the anesthesia, maybe not.

I don't understand... Prefer not being anesthetize? Prefer being the one
to cut the arm instead of not cutting it?

You seem to misunderstand once again. If you numb yourself to pain, you
may not feel an injury, but it has still occurred. On the other hand,
if you do not numb yourself, you might react to injury by snatching
your arm back, thereby possibly saving the arm. So you can have pain
and keep the arm, or not have pain and have a much greater risk of
losing the arm. Curiously, it sounds like you'd prefer the latter.

(There is, in fact, a rare medical condition that can render a person
impervious to pain. Such people become very injury- and accident-prone,
and often have shorter lifespans because of it. Your
numb-it-and-forget-it attitude seems to indicate very short-term
thinking.)
Disclaimer: Physics isn't my strong point.

My guess: Nothing.

Yes. It should sit at the attachment point.
My guess: The block accelerates to the right, assuming no other forces
(e.g. gravity).

With the spring, it should actually end up stable at an equilibrium
position to the right of center.
My guess: Nothing.

Yes, again it will sit at the attachment point.

Point being, some people started trying to push other peoples' opinion
of me in one direction. Without me (or someone) maintaining an equal
and opposite force, the equilibrium will shift, and not in a direction
I want. (How much it will shift obviously depends on various things --
how prone to persuasion their audience is, how convincing the jerkwads
pushing them are ... nonetheless, these don't matter, since I can't
safely assume the result to be zero, and whatever it is, my own
opposite push will be affected in the same way.)
Here's my mindbender for you:

This guy runs up to you and points at the sky and says "I see a flying
spaghetti monster!" You look around and don't see anything that might match
that description, and so you say "I don't see anything." The guy tells you
"I'm telling you, I see it!"

So you say "Ok", and go on living your life.

What, if anything, did you agree to, upon saying "Ok"?

Apparently, that they saw it?

If you have a point, now is the time.
I'm glad that you're starting to suspect that people honestly believe
that you believe what I'm saying they believe you believe. In other words,
I'm glad you're starting to believe what I'm telling you.

That isn't very useful. How do I convince people that what I actually
say I believe, but thinking I believe a random bunch of other things is
liable to mean being mistaken? For that matter, why are they inventing
various beliefs to attribute to me to begin with?
I guess they want to talk about comp.*. Specifically, I guess the people
who post in comp.lang.java.programmer want to talk about the Java
programming language.

Yes, but the logic-deficient personages in question posting here seems
like a tribe of pygmies asking for (or worse, actually giving)
game-playing tips in rec.games.basketball.
I think I asked something like 5-7 questions here, but I only remember
the contents (and thus the answers) of 3 of them. 2 of them were pedantic
questions about the Java Language Specification, and they got answered
clearly.

There's always at least one awkward case where you need a "lawyer" to
tell you what the correct behavior is (and you can't go by the
compiler's behavior, since it might actually be a case of unspecified
behavior), eh?
So I've had 3 out of 3 good experiences here. I suspect all my questions
got answered to my satisfaction, but I can't recall for sure.

There's "answered to your satisfaction", and then there's "whether any
other baggage or cruft came along for the ride with those answers".

This group has a better track record than comp.text.tex, I'll grant you
-- there, every other person seems to be trying to sell something
(usually a book), and I've seen a wide variety of incomplete,
inapplicable, or outright wrong answers get posted in response to n00b
questions (as generally indicated when the n00b does only and exactly
what someone suggests and it blows up in their face, and then they post
back to relate the gory details). Some of those cases seem to have
resulted from the answer-poster assuming the n00b had extra knowledge
that the n00b didn't actually have (so, lesson one: don't assume a n00b
knows *anything* they didn't say or show they know); one case involved
some construct that had to be wrapped in something to work, but whoever
posted it neglected to mention that fact; the n00b naturally just
pasted the construct in without doing anything else and detonated his
project into the next century, then logged on and detonated the
newsgroup. It took weeks for that particular thread to die and it ended
up with over 500 postings...other cases have looked like they could
have been more intentional, rather than stemming simply from dubious
assumptions about someone's state of knowledge. Perhaps the better to
motivate those book sales...

Here, OTOH, the questions seem to generate a straight answer within a
few hours, but sidecars full of judgmental crap and riders full of
rambunctious rumblings have definitely come attached at times.
Hmm, interesting question. If it were me in your situation, the cost
would be zero, 'cause I don't really care about what people think of me, and
I disagree that silence implies assent.

You fail to appreciate a certain problem there -- *you* not agreeing
that silence implies assent doesn't change the minds of the people who
think it *does*, and take your silence when accused of idiocy (or
whatever) as tantamount to an admission of guilt. You may well not care
what the people calling you an idiot think, but you're making it damn
easy for them to convince everyone else that you are by letting them
try unopposed!

nebulous99

Mark said:
That depends on whether most of the searches for "ant" are for the
software or the insect. It is actually not unlikely that on Google if
not in the wider world it is the software which dominates.

Google *is* the wider world -- or at least, it's supposed to be. For a
programming-related search engine you'd be correct, but for a
general-purpose one?

nebulous99

Mark said:
Why don't you try clicking on the link and see what happens? If you have
Java 1.4 or later then it should work.

So it *is* active content, of an unfamiliar new kind, therefore with
unfamiliar new security issues I'd best find out about *before*
clicking any such link...

nebulous99

Daniel said:
I don't know. It depends whether your assumption is correct. It could be
that Google have a lower limit than you imagine in order to throttle
nuisance human posters (I am not assiging this label to you).

It doesn't matter. Since I am not deserving of such treatment, I insist
that it cease immediately. Arguing about the details is pointless; it
simply should not be happening in the first place. Either tell me
something useful towards ensuring that it never does again (and "post
less" is hardly a viable option, since attackers can make me have to
post a minimum amount just to keep a parity of rebuttals to attacks,
which means that merely to stay in one place I may need to post an
arbitrary amount, before considering doing something further such as
asking a whole new question!) or shut up about it. :p
This seems unlikely to me. Certainly more unlikely than it just being a
fairly innocent restriction on Google Groups.

Really? If it's some "innocent restriction" then answer all of the
following:
a) Why did it happen TO ME, a person who can never deserve such a
treatment? So much for "innocent"...
b) Why did it happen NOW, in the middle of a controversy where I'm
quite sure someone dearly wishes to shut me up so they can spout their
hostile views about me without my immediately neutralizing them with
corresponding point-by-point refutations? The timing is an awful
strange coincidence if it isn't somehow being caused by one of my
attackers!
c) Why would it exist at all? Other usenet providers don't interfere
with the use of *unmoderated* groups, after all.
I'm unconvinced that what
you are alleging is even technically possible. I'd think that Google
would enforce the posting limits by counting how many messages were posted
via Google Groups using your username and password (it would be much
easier than monitoring NNTP headers).

Nonetheless, it's clearly miscounting. The attack I described happened
again, and on *that* occasion, "twisted" had posted no more than a
dozen posts in the previous 24 or more hours.

Either the limit is under 12 posts a day, which is impossible since I'd
have run into it on plenty of other occasions (weekly or more often),
or the limit was somehow changed to something ludicrously low (then
there's the timing coincidence, if it wasn't one of my detractors
here), or the limit doesn't even exist and one of you has fairly
significant control of GG, or my dozen-or-so clicks of "Post Message"
translated into a larger number of actual posts.

Given the demonstrated fact that some clever script kiddies have found
ways to logic-bomb Usenet postings so that Strange Crap(tm) happens if
anyone using GG tries to respond, it doesn't seem at all unlikely to me
that the latter is what happened, and that someone here did it to me on
purpose. Far more likely than the various unlikely coincidences, deep
penetrations of Google's mainframes, or other things required for the
various alternative explanations.
Searching for info on Google Groups posting limits returns several
messages from people complaining about the restrictions, which ties in
with your experience.

That actually supports my point. For one thing, if normal (albeit
prolific) use routinely provoked them there wouldn't be "several
messages", there would be "several thousand messages", if not "several
million messages". Clearly, the limit is applied selectively, or
lowered selectively for particular people from time to time. That makes
any encounter with it a personal attack, right then and there!
My money's on Wesley. I think you offended him by implying that he was a
manager :)

Tough. He did plenty to offend me (and try to convince other people to
think evil things about me too) first; besides, I never did imply that
he was a manager. As I recall, he made a statement that implied some
knowledge of managers' hiring decisionmaking in the specific area of
hiring Java developers, and which implied that a) those managers were
assholes, b) Wesley agreed with them, and consequently c) Wesley is an
asshole too. Of course, this then means that Wesley might in some ways
be *like* (certain) managers in certain respects of attitude ... :)

It remains true that it isn't a fair fight when someone muzzles an
opponent, or one person is forced to fight with one hand tied behind
his back.

Don't let it happen again.

nebulous99

Bent said:
The philosophical point is a tool I employ to try and delve into the
subject matter. My ulterior motive is along the lines of trying to
learn something new.

Unless it's something new about Java programming, learn it someplace
else. I did not come here to be psychoanalyzed. (Funny that I've had
occasion to say so twice in the past 24 hours here!)
If you eliminate the reasons/excuses/etc. from the above, does it
translate roughly to "I do make mistakes from time to time"? I do
accept that when mistakes are made, there are always reasons for them.

It translates to "Whatever I do, there is never an occasion where I am
at fault". Fault requires that I either knew better, or should have
known better, but the former doesn't occur and in case of the latter,
the blame actually lies with whoever forgot to tell me whatever it is
they think I should have known anyway.

I came here to ask a couple simple questions. I did not come here to
have my worth as a programmer, a human being, or whatever else judged;
regardless of which, any guilty verdict is ipso facto wrong anyways. :p
My reasons in this case are largely selfish in nature, but can have
benign side effects.

Or malign side effects? You don't say (that they will or that they
won't).

wesley.hall

I mean, if I asked an electrician buddy of mine whether a room of a
certain purpose should have a 220V outlet or just some 110V ones, I'd
expect to get a straight answer, not the third degree in the form of
"Why? Are you remodeling? Why not do this instead?..."

What about when, before your electrician buddy had even had time to
answer you tell him... "Doesn't matter, I found some old car batteries
in the garage. I managed to wire them all up together and hobbled
together a working circuit, thanks anyway".

Presumably YOU would get all defensive when your qualified and
experienced friend told you that there might be some long term draw
backs to your solution and suggested a better solution, that, even
though there was slightly more upfront work involved, would serve you
far better in the long term.

Personally, I would listen to the advice of someone who is obviously
more familier with the subject that I am, come to the conclusion that
they were probably right and ask them for some information on where I
might be able to learn more about the proper solution so as not to
publically embarrass myself in future. Just some simple references to
appropriate literature (which I may not understand at first but would
trust was relevant, based on their recommendation). I wouldn't expect
them to explain every thing to me before I considered looking things up
for myself, because I would accept that they had things to do of their
own, and it was charitable of them even to suggest a research
direction, when they would usually charge a fee for their knowledge.

Eventually, in time, *I* would reach a point where I was able to make
these descisions for myself and implement high quality solutions.
Perhaps even reaching a point where I might find gainful employment as
an electrician.

You on the other hand, would continue with your car battery solution,
until you plugged in too many appliances, the whole system shorts out
and you are left with no understanding of how to resolve the issue
properly....

nebulous99

Bent said:
Your web browser typically doesn't understand file extensions (.jpg,
.gif, etc.) so much as it understands MIME types. It then typically
uses the operating system to map those MIME types to suitable
executables unless the browser has built-in support for the MIME type
in question.

Well, it has to fall back on something in the (too-common) case the
server provides no Content-Type: header. Regardless of which, the cue
for a human as to what kind of file to expect is the file extension,
and it's a human who decides what links are worth following and what
links aren't. An unfamiliar extension tends to mean an unfamiliar
content type, which tends to mean a missing-plugin message or save-as
and then a file they haven't the tools to use. Therefore, an unfamiliar
extension tends to mean the link is not clicked, and that decision is
not one you can fault unless there was a lot of information next to the
link that would mean otherwise.
If you have a modern OS with a modern browser and you have installed a
reasonably modern JRE in a standard manner, then JNLP files are
automatically handled correctly by your browser. You don't need to
know what they are, or which program is actually handling them, for
this to happen.

On the other hand, you might *want* to know, and *before* clicking
anything, unless you just don't give a crap what your box gets infested
with. :)

nebulous99

Bent said:
You appear to drastically overestimate the complexity of running a
version control system.

I don't think I'm drastically overestimating the complexity of
installing, configuring, and using one for the first time as a complete
n00b.
Well, it's been a while since I installed it. As I remember, I had to
take some steps to make the thing available over my LAN but the
details are long forgotten.

Those would not, presumably, matter for a single-computer single-user
setup anyway.

wesley.hall

Tough. He did plenty to offend me (and try to convince other people to
think evil things about me too) first;

Believe me, anyone with any level of relevant experience that is
reading this thread has already pegged you as a stubborn idiot. You did
that all by yourself.
As I recall, he made a statement that implied some
knowledge of managers' hiring decisionmaking in the specific area of
hiring Java developers, and which implied that a) those managers were
assholes, b) Wesley agreed with them, and consequently c) Wesley is an
asshole too. Of course, this then means that Wesley might in some ways
be *like* (certain) managers in certain respects of attitude ... :)

I may have mad some statement that I would not employ you, and I
defaintly stand by that fact. If you are not prepared to do any
research without someone holding your hand through every single step,
you are as good as useless. I wouldn't give someone with that kind of
attitude the job of making the tea :)
It remains true that it isn't a fair fight when someone muzzles an
opponent, or one person is forced to fight with one hand tied behind
his back.

Again, nobody here is doing the muzzling. Dan has already posted a link
which explains EXACTLY what happened (and the same will probably happen
to me if I continue being drawn to this thread). You trigged an
anti-spam filter. FACT! Even if you thought the first time was done by
someone on purpose, you demonstrated exactly how easily you could
circumvent the block by continue you post immediately. What would
anyone have to gain by doing the same thing again? (aside from pissing
you off, which, frankly is pretty easy without hi-tech wizardry).
Engage brain!
Don't let it happen again.

Unless he works for google (and I happen to know he doesnt) he has far
less power to prevent it than you do.

nebulous99

However, as I have no desire to be a victim of your silly little
vendetta, have you considered that the blocking you are experiencing is...

[snip remainder of drivel]

In your previous episode, *you* copped to causing the blocking. Also,
it is *your* vendetta. I'm the one who came here to have a question
answered; you're the one who came here to find somebody to bash, pick
on, and harp at. Or had you forgotten?
Could it be you are just a victim of a false positive?

I do not deserve to be the "victim of a false positive" or anything
else. My refusal to accept this mistreatment stands.
Incidently, if you continue to maintain that this was a personal
attack, and I somehow get the blame for this and you decide to make me
the victim of your personal attack, I just want to provide you with
advance warning that I will report any suspicious activity to your
provider (which seems to be Rogers cable services in Toronto Canada),
and in the highly unlikely event (unlikely because I run multiple
firewalls) that you do A) attempt to attack my network and B) cause any
kind of damage. I will also report you (including all relevant
information in this thread) to the Toronto Law enforcement authorities.

First of all, it looks here too like you are a) the blocker, b) realize
you might not get away with such tactics after all, and c) so you
respond with a counterthreat.

Second of all, you misunderstand me. I have no intention of breaking
into yours or anyone else's computer. If retribution arises, it will
not take such a form. On the other hand, *you* might want to be on the
lookout in case a bunch of FBI agents suddenly take a deep interest in
the contents of your computer...

Third and last, I'm not in Toronto, so sorry, please try again.
Incidentally, I am emmigrating to Toronto in the spring. I look forward
to meeting you at the Toronto Java User Group meetings, despite your
delusions on grandure (in that anyone would bother to take the time to
try to silence you, frankly you are not that important), and your
relatively short temper. I believe I would enjoy debating these issues,
and others like them, with you in person.

Don't hold your breath.

nebulous99

Presumably YOU would get all defensive when your qualified and
experienced friend told you that there might be some long term draw
backs to your solution and suggested a better solution, that, even
though there was slightly more upfront work involved, would serve you
far better in the long term.

If they suggested that I was an idiot at the same time, I would.
so as not to publically[sic] embarrass myself in future.

That presupposes the conclusion you wish to draw, namely that something
is true regarding which I should be embarrassed. Sorry -- that kind of
circular logic is right out. If proving me a moron (or whatever) is
your goal, you need to start all over again at step 1. (Besides, I
thought shutting up was your goal? You've promised to several times now
but you just ... keep ... POSTING!)

[remainder of faulty analogy snipped]