Global.asa

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Evertjan., Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Evertjan.

    Evertjan. Guest

    Shahid Juma wrote on 28 sep 2004 in

    > I placed my global.asa file into a subfolder in the wwwroot folder. It
    > doesn't seem to work when I try to use the sessions that have been
    > declared there.

    It is only read if it is in the root.

    Placing it somwhere else is illogical,
    as it is only read at the start of the asp application.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Sep 28, 2004

  2. Evertjan.

    Shahid Juma Guest

    Hi,

    I placed my global.asa file into a subfolder in the wwwroot folder. It
    doesn't seem to work when I try to use the sessions that have been declared
    there.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Shahid
    (remove the words "REMOVETHIS" when replying to email address)
    Shahid Juma, Sep 28, 2004

  3. In order for that global.asa to be executed, the directory in which it
    resides needs to be defined as an application in IIS. If global.asa is in
    an ordinary old directory in your site, it will just be an arbitrary file.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  4. "Shahid Juma" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I placed my global.asa file into a subfolder in the wwwroot folder. It
    > doesn't seem to work when I try to use the sessions that have been
    > declared
    > there.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You need to set that folder as an application through the IIS mmc.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  5. "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Shahid Juma wrote on 28 sep 2004 in
    >
    >> I placed my global.asa file into a subfolder in the wwwroot folder. It
    >> doesn't seem to work when I try to use the sessions that have been
    >> declared there.
    >>

    > It is only read if it is in the root.
    >
    > Placing it somwhere else is illogical,
    > as it is only read at the start of the asp application.

    It does not need to be in the IIS server root, but rather the application
    root - which can be set anywhere.

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  6. Evertjan.

    Shahid Juma Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Shahid Juma wrote on 28 sep 2004 in
    >
    > > I placed my global.asa file into a subfolder in the wwwroot folder. It
    > > doesn't seem to work when I try to use the sessions that have been
    > > declared there.
    > >

    > It is only read if it is in the root.
    >
    > Placing it somwhere else is illogical,
    > as it is only read at the start of the asp application.
    >
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.
    > (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress,
    > but let us keep the discussions in the newsgroup)

    I tried that too and it didn't work. Example, I placed this in the
    global.asa file: When I try to use the GetUnixTime or use the
    ConnectionString session variable, it responds back by saying that it
    doesn't exist.

    Shahid

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>

    Sub Application_OnStart
    End Sub

    Sub Application_OnEnd
    End Sub

    Sub Session_OnStart
    Session("ConnectionString") = ""
    Session("ConnectionTimeout") = 15
    Session("CommandTimeout") = 30
    End Sub

    Sub Session_OnEnd
    End Sub
    </SCRIPT>

    <script language="JScript" runat="server">
    function GetUnixTime(strDate) {
    if (strDate) {
    return new Date(strDate).valueOf();
    }
    else {
    return 0;
    </script>
    Shahid Juma, Sep 28, 2004
  7. You can't have a function like that in global.asa... that is what #includes
    are for, not global.asa...

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  8. Evertjan.

    Shahid Juma Guest

    > You can't have a function like that in global.asa... that is what

    #includes
    > are for, not global.asa...
    >
    > --
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/
    > (Reverse address to reply.)
    >

    > "Shahid Juma" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > > > Shahid Juma wrote on 28 sep 2004 in
    > > > microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    It

    > > > It is only read if it is in the root.
    > > >
    > > > Placing it somwhere else is illogical,
    > > > as it is only read at the start of the asp application.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Evertjan.
    > > > The Netherlands.
    > > > (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress,
    > > > but let us keep the discussions in the newsgroup)
    > > >

    > > I tried that too and it didn't work. Example, I placed this in the
    > > global.asa file: When I try to use the GetUnixTime or use the
    > > ConnectionString session variable, it responds back by saying that it
    > > doesn't exist.
    > >
    > > Shahid
    > >
    > > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>
    > >
    > > Sub Application_OnStart
    > > End Sub
    > >
    > > Sub Application_OnEnd
    > > End Sub
    > >
    > > Sub Session_OnStart
    > > Session("ConnectionString") = ""
    > > Session("ConnectionTimeout") = 15
    > > Session("CommandTimeout") = 30
    > > End Sub
    > >
    > > Sub Session_OnEnd
    > > End Sub
    > > </SCRIPT>
    > >
    > > <script language="JScript" runat="server">
    > > function GetUnixTime(strDate) {
    > > if (strDate) {
    > > return new Date(strDate).valueOf();
    > > }
    > > else {
    > > return 0;
    > > }
    > > }
    > > </script>

    Regardless, even when I remove the function, it still doesn't work. Says
    session doesn't exist.

    Shahid
    Shahid Juma, Sep 28, 2004
  9. > > > </script>

    Ugh, learn to trim.

    > Regardless, even when I remove the function, it still doesn't work. Says
    > session doesn't exist.

    "WHAT" still doesn't work? "WHAT" says session doesn't exist?

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  10. Evertjan.

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Do you have session state enabled for the application directory (IIS
    manager, virtual directory properties, virtual directory tab, configuration
    button,app options tab)?

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Sep 28, 2004
  11. Evertjan.

    Shahid Juma Guest

    Global.asa file
    ----------
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>

    Sub Application_OnStart
    End Sub

    Sub Application_OnEnd
    End Sub

    Sub Session_OnStart
    Session("ConnectionString") = ""
    Session("ConnectionTimeout") = 15
    Session("CommandTimeout") = 30
    End Sub

    Sub Session_OnEnd
    End Sub
    </SCRIPT>

    -----------------

    in an asp file when I try to get the ConnectionString, so conn =
    Session("ConnectionString"), it then complains that the object/session
    doesn't exist.

    Shahid

    Shahid Juma, Sep 28, 2004
  12. Evertjan.

    Patrice Guest

    Could you check :
    - place gloal.asa at the root of the application
    - make sure the directory where the file is it configured as an application
    - make sure that for this application session are enable

    Those two last are checked by using the IIS Service manager...

    Hope it helps

    Patrice

    Patrice, Sep 28, 2004
  13. I think we're all still wondering what "it" is, especially since something
    like Response.Write Session("something") won't "complain" if the something
    variable doesn't exist. Also, have you read any of the other replies that
    are telling you that your global.asa file has to be in the root of a defined
    application in IIS? Additionally, is "enable session state" checked in your
    application configuration in IIS?

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  14. http://www.aspfaq.com/2157

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    > Yes I have placed it in the root. When I try to use the connectionstring

    > open the database, that is when the error pops up indicating that the

    string

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  15. Also, try using an application variable as opposed to a session variable.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  16. Evertjan.

    Shahid Juma Guest

    Yes I have placed it in the root. When I try to use the connectionstring to

    Shahid Juma, Sep 28, 2004
  17. What is popping up an error?

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  18. Evertjan.

    Shahid Juma Guest

    The problem has been fixed after following some of the steps that were
    outlined.

    Shahid

    message news:OV$...

    Shahid Juma, Sep 28, 2004
  19. Look in IIS. If the application root appears as a regular folder instead of
    the other funky icon (I think it is supposed to be an open box with a globe
    and a document coming out), it is probably not set up as an "application."
    Right click on the app root and select properties. Next to Application name,
    click the create button.

    This tells IIS to fire the events in global.asa. I have seen the events
    sometimes fire anyway, even when this is not set. But then, I have also seen
    it not.

    If that is not the problem, can you tell me what you are writing the code
    in? Interdev? Notepad? That will help determine what is in your
    troubleshooting toolbox, so to speak.

    Stephanie Stowe, Sep 28, 2004
  20. The string is empty is not the same as the object/session does not exist. In
    the same code you gave

    Sub Session_OnStart
    Session("ConnectionString") = ""
    Session("ConnectionTimeout") = 15
    Session("CommandTimeout") = 30
    End Sub

    Observe that the string IS empty.

    You may want to give the exact code at the line of the error as well as the
    exact error.

    > Yes I have placed it in the root. When I try to use the connectionstring

    > open the database, that is when the error pops up indicating that the

    string
    > is empty. Thus the session variable is empty. So yes you are right it will
    > print a blank string but when using it to open a database problems will
    > occur and that is where my problem is currently.

    Aboud

    Aboud

    Aboud

    Stephanie Stowe, Sep 28, 2004