global.asa is not working

George Hester

I put the following in the global.asa which is on the root of the web at the top of the asa file:

<!--METADATA TYPE="typelib" UUID="EF53050B-882E-4776-B643-EDA472E8E3F2" NAME="ActiveX Data Objects 2.7 Library" -->

It's not working. I put the following in an ASP located in a folder which is an application folder but not a Virtual Directory and is an immediate child of the root of the web.

<!--METADATA TYPE="typelib" UUID="EF53050B-882E-4776-B643-EDA472E8E3F2" NAME="ActiveX Data Objects 2.7 Library" -->

It works.

The test is:

<%
Response.Write adOpenDynamic
%>

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong here? I thought it did work at one time. Do I need to put a global.asa in this application folder? I thought there was a bubbling-up or trickle-down of the global.asa not sure what it is called. Thanks.

Bob Barrows

George said:
[...]

Global.asa needs to be in the application's folder. There is not
trickle-down.

George Hester

Thanks Bob. You have cleared up something that has been bugging me. I thought the global.asa bubbled or trickled (not sure how it would be called in this regard - you said "trickle-down" so we'll go with that) and so I have not made any global.asa's myself in application folders. If VID did it that's OK I just assumed it was smarter then I.

So let me ask you. What is the minimum entries that need to be in a global.asa so that it works? Could I just make a global.asa in Notepad, put the META tag I showed at the top, and have a working ASP as I showed; the test? Thanks.

Bob Barrows

George said:
Thanks Bob. You have cleared up something that has been bugging me.
I thought the global.asa bubbled or trickled (not sure how it would
be called in this regard - you said "trickle-down" so we'll go with
that) and so I have not made any global.asa's myself in application
folders. If VID did it that's OK I just assumed it was smarter then
I.

So let me ask you. What is the minimum entries that need to be in a
global.asa so that it works? Could I just make a global.asa in
Notepad, put the META tag I showed at the top, and have a working ASP
as I showed; the test? Thanks.

I use VID. When I want to add a reference to ADO, I just go to the
References dialog from the menu and check it off. VID automatically adds it
to the application's global.asa. One caveat, you need to be aware of the
version of ADO running on the server. If you select 2.7, and the server has
2.5 (unlikely), then the meta tag won't work.

Without VID, then I would have to resort to what you describe (same caveat).
Normally, my global.asa file contains nothing but the META tag. If you need
something to occur at session or application events, then that code would
also go into global.asa.

HTH,
Bob Barrows