global.asax and pre-compilation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by gemel, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. gemel

    gemel Guest

    I had a fully functioning application until a couple of weeks ago when
    my ISP ugraded their system. Now when I access the application I get
    the standard remote error page. Changing the <cutomErrors> to "Off"
    doesn't help because the application behaves as if it doesn't even get
    as far as reading the web.config.

    My ISP is not much help here so I tried some investigation. I
    eventually discovered that if the global.asax file is removed then the
    problem causing the page error disappeard. Unfortunately I have a lot
    a application scope code in this file.

    The thing is, I thought that the contents of this file would have been
    pre-compled into the DLL and that no coding in the global.asax would
    be accessed when the application was called.

    Can anybody shed any light on how I might check this out (the
    application works perfectly well on the loca machine)

    John

    gemel, Jun 11, 2004

  2. From what you are saying, the upgrade affected the global.asax code.

    What kind of upgrade?
    1.0 to 1.1? If so, you need to examine you code for breakage.
    To Windows Server 2003? Most likely security policy that your code now
    breaks.

    Without understanding your code or the nature of the ISP change, I can only
    shoot around in the dark. Knowing the Framework version for your code also
    helps.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Jun 11, 2004