Global resources problem on production server

Guest

Hello,
We made a project which is using global resources strings for buttons
(ASP.NET 2.0). On development workstation (Windows XP, VS 2005 with .NET 1.1
& 2.0) everything was fine, but when we deployed project to production server
(Windows 2003 RC2, .NET 1.1 & 2.0), on every button, where we used global
resource strings, we saw any text.
This means that our application did not found a global resources file? But I
see App_GlobalResources.dll file in Application Bin directory.

Have someone solution for this problem?

Robert Haken [MVP]

Hello,
We made a project which is using global resources strings for buttons
(ASP.NET 2.0). On development workstation (Windows XP, VS 2005 with .NET
1.1
& 2.0) everything was fine, but when we deployed project to production
server
(Windows 2003 RC2, .NET 1.1 & 2.0), on every button, where we used global
resource strings, we saw any text.
This means that our application did not found a global resources file? But
see App_GlobalResources.dll file in Application Bin directory.

What type of deployment do you use?
If you have App_GlobalResources.dll, you should have
App_GlobalResources.compiled file, too!

Another usual problem with global resources is when file casing changes
during deployment, ie. from Glossary.resx to glossary.resx, but it's
probably not your problem.

Robert Haken [MVP ASP/ASP.NET]
HAVIT, s.r.o., www.havit.cz
http://knowledge-base.havit.cz

Guest

I'm using "Publish Web Site" in VS 2005 and publishing web site to local
directory. Then I'm copying this local directory to production server.
Yes, in Bin directory here is both App_GlobalResources.dll and
App_GlobalResources.compiled.
I found interesting attribute in .compiled file - "virtualPath". On my
workstation, project web directory is named "Company.Project.Web". On
production server only "Project". Parameter "virtualPath" has value
"/Company.Project.Web/App_GlobalResources/". I tried to change this value to
"/Project/App_GlobalResources/", but nothing happens. Maybe here is a problem?
I tried to copy project to directory "/Company.Project.Web/" but problem
remains.

Guest

I found the solution. That does'nt matter what value is of attribute
"virtualPath". The problem was resolved when I copied App_GlobalResources
directory from development computer to production server.

Thank you for help.