Google Highly Open Participation Contest

I. P.

|Peter Szinek|

PS> 2x pyton, 4x php, 0x Ruby.. :-(
3x.

MoinMoin, Plone and Python Software Foundation.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

I. P. said:
|Peter Szinek|

PS> 2x pyton, 4x php, 0x Ruby.. :-(
3x.

MoinMoin, Plone and Python Software Foundation.
And Apache is really a Java front :)

<ducking>

John Joyce

And Apache is really a Java front :)

<ducking>
Consider the projects chosen, consider Google investing in things it
uses itself.
Kind of makes sense from Google's point of view.

vruz

Consider the projects chosen, consider Google investing in things it
uses itself.
Kind of makes sense from Google's point of view.

Mono ??

how does Google use it ?

John Joyce

Mono ??

how does Google use it ?
I don't know, but they might use it internally, or have goals of
using it/supporting its growth.
Mono makes a lot of sense and has progressed pretty well. Lots of
developers who already know the MS technologies can then leverage
what they know to create things for other platforms.
Mono developers can create things that work on Windows while working
on another platform.
Google definitely likes open source. They've got the brains to use it
and keep their licensing costs low.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

vruz said:
the question remains, why is Ruby so under-represented ?

For the same reasons Ruby is under-represented in many other metrics:

1. It started in Japan and English-language documentation didn't appear
as quickly as it did for other languages "born" about the same time.

2. It's newer than Perl/PHP/Javascript.

3. It's more complex than Python.

4. It's interpreted, so Ruby programs are slower than programs in
compiled languages.

5. There are fewer applications and application libraries available for
Ruby.

etc. etc. etc.

But look at the bright side -- I didn't see *any* projects that use
FORTRAN or Lisp. Maybe *those* dinosaurs are finally about to ride off
into the sunset. <ducking>