Google problem!!

Dado

I've signed an url at Google and it became visible few days ago. The
index.html has Description and Keywords META tags in it's HEAD and some
Flash in the BODY.

The problem is that Google, when my site is displayed as a result, as a
site's description uses some text from Flash animation and not the text from
the Description META! Why is that, is it normal?? I've checked for bugs on
the page but everything seems allright!

Please help, thanks!!

Dylan Parry

Spake Dado unto thee:
The problem is that Google, when my site is displayed as a result, as a
site's description uses some text from Flash animation and not the text
from the Description META! Why is that, is it normal??

Yes. Google, like many other search engines, ignores the meta tags for
keywords and descriptions. Instead it chooses to quote relevant text from
the page content. I didn't realise it could read though!

Dylan Parry

Spake Mark Parnell unto thee:
You thought Google was illiterate?

Damn keyboard! Sometimes when I hit backspace it deletes more than I want
and then I don't notice... it's supposed to say "I didn't realise it
could read Flash though!" :\

rf

Dylan said:
Damn keyboard! Sometimes when I hit backspace it deletes more than I want
and then I don't notice... it's supposed to say "I didn't realise it
could read Flash though!" :\

Started to a couple of months ago. Google groups for [google flash]

Dave Patton

Dylan said:
Damn keyboard! Sometimes when I hit backspace it deletes more than I
want and then I don't notice... it's supposed to say "I didn't
realise it could read Flash though!" :\

Started to a couple of months ago. Google groups for [google flash]

In a 'Douglas Adams universe', using Google to Google for Google
would lead to some sort of intergalactic incident ;-)

Mark Parnell

In a 'Douglas Adams universe', using Google to Google for Google
would lead to some sort of intergalactic incident ;-)

I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle...

rf

Dave said:
In a 'Douglas Adams universe', using Google to Google for Google
would lead to some sort of intergalactic incident ;-)

<g>
You have to first check the area for small dogs.

Neal

In a 'Douglas Adams universe', using Google to Google for Google
would lead to some sort of intergalactic incident ;-)

I got my towel right here, there won't be a problem...

Nik Coughin

Dave said:
Dylan said:
Damn keyboard! Sometimes when I hit backspace it deletes more than I
want and then I don't notice... it's supposed to say "I didn't
realise it could read Flash though!" :\

Started to a couple of months ago. Google groups for [google flash]

In a 'Douglas Adams universe', using Google to Google for Google
would lead to some sort of intergalactic incident ;-)

101010

James Smith

Dado said:
I've signed an url at Google and it became visible few days ago. The
index.html has Description and Keywords META tags in it's HEAD and some
Flash in the BODY.

The problem is that Google, when my site is displayed as a result, as a
site's description uses some text from Flash animation and not the text from
the Description META! Why is that, is it normal?? I've checked for bugs on
the page but everything seems allright!

Please help, thanks!!
Meta tags are a thing of the past. I was reading an article the other
day that said that there was only one search engine left that was useing
them.

A quick google found this.
http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/article.php/2165061

J.

Dado

But why is the Description Tag shown as a page description on many search
results for other url's??

Neal

But why is the Description Tag shown as a page description on many search
results for other url's??

You have replied to yourself, and not quoted anything you're replying to.
Tsk tsk.

Can you give an example of a Google search that yields the contents of the
meta description as the bit on the results page?

Karl Groves

Dado said:
But why is the Description Tag shown as a page description on many search
results for other url's??

Who are you talking to?
What are you talking about?

Please learn how to quote.

-Karl

data64

Dado said:
I've signed an url at Google and it became visible few days ago. The
index.html has Description and Keywords META tags in it's HEAD and some
Flash in the BODY.

The problem is that Google, when my site is displayed as a result, as a
site's description uses some text from Flash animation and not the text
from the Description META! Why is that, is it normal?? I've checked for
bugs on the page but everything seems allright!

Please help, thanks!!

Seems to still pickup the text from the description meta tag for my site.
Do you have an URL we can look at.

data64

Neal

Can you give an example of a Google search that yields the contents of
the meta description as the bit on the results page?

This is interesting. Google seems to indeed be doing this now. They've
changed a lot of things lately. Perhaps OP's site has yet to be
re-spidered.

This from http://www.google.com/webmasters/3.html#A5 :

"Google does not display a standard description. We look for the search
terms specified (and in some cases, variations of those terms) and show
snippets of where those terms appear. This is a completely automated
process and editing is not an option. If you alter the relevant text on
the page itself, Google will pick up those changes during our next crawl
in a few weeks."

Yet this is exactly what they are doing.

Toby Inkster

Neal said:
This is interesting. Google seems to indeed be doing this now. They've
changed a lot of things lately.

They have changed a lot of things recently -- but not the display of
descriptions -- they've been doing that for ages.