Google

Michael Sgier

Hi
I've been well placed at google.ch and now been deleted
there. Only a small entry in google.com left. Any possible reason
for that??
THANKS

Safalra

Michael said:
I've been well placed at google.ch and now been deleted
there. Only a small entry in google.com left. Any possible reason
for that??

Several, but as you haven't told us the address of your site we can't
take a look and figure out what's wrong.

bernhard

Michael said:
Hi
I've been well placed at google.ch and now been deleted
there. Only a small entry in google.com left. Any possible reason
for that??
THANKS

Tell us the url of your site, the we may be able to answer your
question.

bernhard

Big Bill

Hi
I've been well placed at google.ch and now been deleted
there. Only a small entry in google.com left. Any possible reason
for that??
THANKS

There's a very big Google update going on. Give it a week or two and
you may well reappear.

BB

thebigguyconnor

we need to know the address of your site and then it would be possible
to find out

rf

Safalra said:
I find this whole situation very amusing. They guy posts without
quoting saying he likes my site, and is then directed to a page on my
site telling him to quote. I wonder if he was just doing it for irony.

Probably. More probably Arne is as pissed of as I am about all these bloody
dingbats coming in from groups.google (present company excepted) who know
absolutely bloody nothing about how usenet works.

Ratbags, all of them. Well, not really, the useless groups.google interface
encourages them :-(

<question>
Does anybody from google ever visit the newsgroups to find comments like
this? If they do and they don't fix it they should have their arses kicked.
</question>

Nick Theodorakis

[...]
<question>
Does anybody from google ever visit the newsgroups to find comments like
this? If they do and they don't fix it they should have their arses kicked.
</question>

Once upon a time, when google was taking over the archive from deja,
someone(s) from google used to read and respond to (at least in
private) alt.fan.dejanews, but I don't know if that was in an
"official" capacity.

There are some google.public.* usenet groups, which I suppose might be
appropriate, but they seem more oriented toward the websearch
functions of google.

Nick

Jonathan N. Little

rf said:
Safalra wrote:

Probably. More probably Arne is as pissed of as I am about all these bloody
dingbats coming in from groups.google (present company excepted) who know
absolutely bloody nothing about how usenet works.

Ratbags, all of them. Well, not really, the useless groups.google interface
encourages them :-(

<question>
Does anybody from google ever visit the newsgroups to find comments like
this? If they do and they don't fix it they should have their arses kicked.
</question>

I have made my share of faux pas with Usenet, but I avoided many by
first observing a bit BEFORE posting. I wish for basically 2 things for
the Googleites.

1. To peruse the NG first to get a feel for how it works and for the
possibility your question's answer may already be posted, (maybe 5000 times)

2. Just assume that the other folks in the NG /cannot/ actually view
your monitor so we do not get posts like:

<post>
My page looks all funny, HELP!
</post>

Alan J. Flavell

1. To peruse the NG first to get a feel for how it works and for the
possibility your question's answer may already be posted, (maybe
5000 times)

It's a strange phenomenon (based on what little I've bothered to read
from that class of persons), that those posting from GG show the least
evidence of having used GG to review previous discussion.

I must admit that I find GG (like the dejanews archive which they
gobbled up) quite a useful resource for finding answers without having
to bother anyone else. But their posting interface must be abysmal,
judging from the results that it so often produces. And it worries me
that they seem to be presenting our long-established Usenet groups,
which had existed and matured for years before Google ever existed
(indeed, for many years before I became aware of Usenet myself), to
naive newcomers as if they might be GG-specific web forums. Sigh.

Michael Sgier

I forgot to mention that i've removed a link from sgier.com to
shop.sgier.com between the body tags. I thought that this could be one
possible cause.

Jonathan N. Little

Alan J. Flavell wrote:
I must admit that I find GG (like the dejanews archive which they
gobbled up) quite a useful resource for finding answers without having
to bother anyone else. But their posting interface must be abysmal,
judging from the results that it so often produces. And it worries me
that they seem to be presenting our long-established Usenet groups,
which had existed and matured for years before Google ever existed
(indeed, for many years before I became aware of Usenet myself), to
naive newcomers as if they might be GG-specific web forums. Sigh.
Agreed, I use to use DejaNews before ISP had news, the interface was far
superior GG.

Michael Sgier

So now i've ditched the frames on the index page and removed
all that wasn't seen by visitors. I hope that's fine now. I
followed instructions that i've found after searching for
google submit site or so.

Jonathan N. Little

Michael said:
So now i've ditched the frames on the index page and removed
all that wasn't seen by visitors. I hope that's fine now. I
followed instructions that i've found after searching for
google submit site or so.
^^ I am quoting you.... ^^

Michael, who are you talking to? Please learn how to quote in a news
group. Look at the other posts and get a clue man!

Arne

Once said:
^^ I am quoting you.... ^^

Michael, who are you talking to? Please learn how to quote in a news
group. Look at the other posts and get a clue man!

Google Group users are clueless, and so are the Google team that set
up the interface like a web forum! Please ignore all post from Google
Groups until they learn or begin to use a newsreader.

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote

Safalra

Arne said:
Google Group users are clueless, and so are the Google team that set
up the interface like a web forum! Please ignore all post from Google
Groups until they learn or begin to use a newsreader.

That's a bit harsh. I'm a Google Groups user and I wrote the page you
quote in your signature: