Google

Blinky the Shark

Safalra said:
If you see this post then it means I've managed to configure
40tude Dialog, and I'll never need Google Groups again. It's

Welcome to the real world of Usenet. Try not to relapse.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

brucie said:
If you see this post then it means I've managed to configure 40tude Dialog,
YAY!

I can't work out how to sort the threads by the date of the most recent
message rather than date of the first message.

http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/giggly-40tude-screencap01.png [22k]

Spot on. I use "Subject, Date", choosing to keep threads in order as
well. I generally hide Read messages, but clicking on the +/- column if
necessary to see previously read posts.

Els

Beauregard said:
brucie said:
If you see this post then it means I've managed to configure 40tude Dialog,
YAY!

I can't work out how to sort the threads by the date of the most recent
message rather than date of the first message.

http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/giggly-40tude-screencap01.png [22k]

Spot on. I use "Subject, Date", choosing to keep threads in order as
well. I generally hide Read messages, but clicking on the +/- column if
necessary to see previously read posts.

I don't think either of those two options is what Stephen meant.
AIUI he wants "Date, Thread" which isn't an option.

Arne

Once said:
If you see this post then it means I've managed to configure 40tude Dialog,
and I'll never need Google Groups again. It's very nice, except that I
can't work out how to sort the threads by the date of the most recent
message rather than date of the first message. (I can sort individual
messages by date, but I prefer being able to see the thread structure.)

Congratulations! Now I suggest you put the tag lines I use, to your
sig :)

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote

brucie

Spot on. I use "Subject, Date", choosing to keep threads in order as
well. I generally hide Read messages, but clicking on the +/- column if
necessary to see previously read posts.
I don't think either of those two options is what Stephen meant.
AIUI he wants "Date, Thread" which isn't an option.

isn't "date, thread" just "thread, date" sorted in reverse order?

my poor little head hurts now. i need to have a lay down

Safalra

Els said:
Safalra said:
[snip - switching to 40tude Dialog from Google Groups]

I can even reply to it! :)

He's even got a valid sig and is using the correct quote
indicators. :)

You wouldn't have seen my previous posts as you're killing all Google
Groups post, but I can assure you I always followed the rules of
netiquette, never top-posting, always trimming posts, using the right
signarute delimiter, and so on. I even tried to encourage other Google
Groups posters to play nice (hence my 'Replying In Google Groups' page that
Arne cited, spawning the current discussion).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Els said:
I don't think either of those two options is what Stephen meant. AIUI
he wants "Date, Thread" which isn't an option.

I knew that. <g>

Sorting by date never appealed to me, except as a sub-sort.

Safalra

Beauregard said:
brucie said:
In post <Safalra said:
I can't work out how to sort the threads by the date of the most recent
message rather than date of the first message.

http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/giggly-40tude-screencap01.png [22k]

Spot on. I use "Subject, Date", choosing to keep threads in order as
well. I generally hide Read messages, but clicking on the +/- column if
necessary to see previously read posts.

I don't think either of those two options is what Stephen meant.
AIUI he wants "Date, Thread" which isn't an option.

Not to worry - I've changed the settings so that the thread list appears in
a screen-high column with threads with new posts highlighted fushcia, so I
can scan the list pretty quickly to find new posts. Thanks everyone for
your help.

Blinky the Shark

Safalra said:
Els said:
Safalra wrote:
[snip - switching to 40tude Dialog from Google Groups]

I can even reply to it! :)

He's even got a valid sig and is using the correct quote
indicators.
:)

You wouldn't have seen my previous posts as you're killing all
Google Groups post, but I can assure you I always followed the

That is correct.
rules of netiquette, never top-posting, always trimming posts,
using the right signarute delimiter, and so on. I even tried to
encourage other Google Groups posters to play nice (hence my
'Replying In Google Groups' page that Arne cited, spawning the
current discussion).

This is all commendable.

I'll look for that URL.

Nick Theodorakis

Other reasons include:

Usenetting behind a firewall that prohibits NNTP.
Usenetting at an internet cafe.
Usenetting at your girlfriends place.
Usenetting using your girlfriends mothers computer (don't even think about
this one)

Or your ISP has a really crappy newsfeed (not in my case, thankfully,
but I've seen it happen)
Many *regulars" use groups.google <quickly looks/>

Hywel
Travis
Steve pugh
Safalra
Spacegirl (aww)

I usually don't post with GG but have on occasion when travelling or
otherwise away from my computer.

Nick

kchayka

Nick said:
Or your ISP has a really crappy newsfeed (not in my case, thankfully,
but I've seen it happen)

My ISP has a really crappy newsfeed, but who cares? For about $10 a
year, anybody can get rock solid service at news.individual.net. That's
way better than using GG.