Got a text link to a swf file - but it opens in a full screen window - how to size?

johnsonholding

I have a swf video in flash. It is only about 192 X144. I have a text
link in my webpage for the video. I expected the link to work and the
video would play at the same size as the swf, but instead it blows up
the movie to full screen! Is there a way in html to keep it as a TEXT
link and have it open up the right sizE? Thanks

Jim S.

where is the swf movie opening, in a new window? or in the same window?
post code of that link or page.

Jim

cwdjrxyz

I have a swf video in flash. It is only about 192 X144. I have a text
link in my webpage for the video. I expected the link to work and the
video would play at the same size as the swf, but instead it blows up
the movie to full screen! Is there a way in html to keep it as a TEXT
link and have it open up the right sizE? Thanks

When you directly go to a swf video file, the movie shows as full
screen on most browsers. The standard method to overcome this is to
embed the flash movie as any size you wish.. See
http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/flashdemo.php for an example. There are
several codes you can use to do this.

If the movie is fairly fast loading you can use:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="http://www.cwdjr.info/movie/cancan.swf" width="400" height="300">
<param name="src" value="http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/circlesani2.swf"
valuetype="ref" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object>

If the movie file is fairly large and slow loading, then IE6 will not
start the movie until it is completely downloaded, using the code
above. In that case you may use a code that takes advantage of the IE
conditional comment and uses AX for the IE browsers only. See the code
below:

<!--[if IE]>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0"
width="400" height="300" >
<param name="movie" value="http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/circlesani2.swf"
/>
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
<param name="autoplay" value="true" />
</object>
<![endif]-->
<!--[if !IE]> <-->
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/circlesani2.swf" width="400"
height="300">
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
<param name="autoplay" value="true" />
</object>
<!--><![endif]-->

Many sites still use a method to embed that does not validate as modern
code, uses AX for IE, and an illegal embed tag for other browsers, but
it still works. There is another method that prepares a very short
introductory flash movie to trick IE into starting playing before
download is complete.

See http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php for more detailed
information under the broadband link at the top of the page.

cwdjrxyz

cwdjrxyz said:
If the movie is fairly fast loading you can use:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="http://www.cwdjr.info/movie/cancan.swf" width="400" height="300">
<param name="src" value="http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/circlesani2.swf"
valuetype="ref" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object>

Correction of above:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/circlesani2.swf" width="400"
height="300">
<param name="src" value="http://www.cwdjr.net/flash/circlesani2.swf"
valuetype="ref" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object>

cwdjrxyz

If you still want a text link to the flash video on some page you
write, you just have to write the page with the embedded flash I
described. Then you link to this instead of to the raw swf if you want
to go to a page that shows the flash movie only at something less than
full screen size.

johnsonholding

Ok, I understand this. I am just trying to do this on a small window,
rather than a full screen. I guess I will have to use a pop-up
javascript window, huh?

cwdjrxyz

Ok, I understand this. I am just trying to do this on a small window,
rather than a full screen. I guess I will have to use a pop-up
javascript window, huh?

You really do not need to use javascript, since embedding the video, as
most people do when they want to control the size of it, can completely
avoid this. However script might be yet another option. Many feel that
you should not use script unless you have to, since perhaps 10% of
people turn off script on their computer. Thus more viewers are likely
to see your flash movie if you avoid script as you likely can. Without
seeing some specific code for a page, it is somewhat difficult to
specify all of the small details.

Another thing to consider is just what kind of flash movie you have.
When you encode a flash movie from some other video format, you can
choose several options that are built into the flash movie. For example
the movie can be encoded to start when brought up(usual) or to not show
and not start until you right click and select to start. When encoding
a flash movie, always save a copy of the original video file used for
encoding so that you can re-encode in the future if you want to change
some of the options.