grabbing a facebook group

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Uno, Apr 15, 2011.

  1. Uno

    Uno Guest

    My family completed an intervention this week by obtaining guardianship
    of our uncle, who was being abused and defrauded. I'd like to thank
    this forum for its forbearance of me during this difficult time and for
    all of the contributions that made the technical part of this endeavor
    successful.

    I also coordinated this effort as the creator and administer of
    "operation bonhoeffer," which is a secret facebook group populated by my
    large and extended family. My more successful siblings had not had an
    fb presence at all. This group gave us the ability to share information
    in real time, but

    now it's over and we want to put it in the books. I think that perl can
    do anything a browser can do (is that correct), so I'd like to find a
    way to serialize the data and take it down.

    So how does one behave like a browser when there's a login and password
    involved?
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 15, 2011

  2. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/15/2011 11:38 AM, Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > For Facebook data, you'll probably have better luck using their API than
    > trying to emulate a browser& scraping their pages. There's a module
    > for that:
    >
    > <http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Facebook>
    >
    > If you're talking about a FB *user*, rather than a *group*, it's even
    > easier - they provide a tool to download a record of everything you've
    > done there, including copies of any images& videos you've posted.
    > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent tool for group
    > activity.
    >
    > <https://www.facebook.com/help/?topic=download>
    >
    > sherm--

    Well, hot damn, sherm, I'm really pleased with my initial effort. I
    went to a terminal and typed
    cpan
    install Facebook
    , and it was doing it's thing, but telling me that it couldn't do
    things, so I ctrl-C'ed out of that and typed
    sudo cpan
    install Facebook
    , and think I'm sitting pretty:

    Running make install
    Prepending /home/dan/.cpan/build/Facebook-0.102-C7c3EJ/blib/arch
    /home/dan/.cpan/build/Facebook-0.102-C7c3EJ/blib/lib to PERL5LIB for
    'install'
    Installing /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Facebook.pm
    Installing /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Facebook/Manual.pod
    Installing /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Facebook/Signed.pm
    Installing /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Facebook/Cookie.pm
    Installing /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Facebook/Cookbook.pod
    Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Facebook::Cookie.3pm
    Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Facebook::Signed.3pm
    Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Facebook.3pm
    Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Facebook::Cookbook.3pm
    Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Facebook::Manual.3pm
    Appending installation info to /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1/perllocal.pod
    FRANKS/Facebook-0.102.tar.gz
    make install -- OK
    Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store
    persistent state

    cpan[2]>

    Why is my terminal always telling me that 'YAML' is not installed, while
    python-yaml is?
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 16, 2011

  3. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/15/2011 02:22 AM, bugbear wrote:

    > I think facebook may well make extensive use of javascript and/or flash,
    > which will complicate your task.
    >
    > BugBear

    I'm able to complicate my task in any event:

    $ ./fb1.pl
    ../fb1.pl: line 2: use: command not found
    ../fb1.pl: line 3: use: command not found
    ../fb1.pl: line 5: use: command not found
    ../fb1.pl: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    ../fb1.pl: line 7: ` my $fb = Facebook->new('
    $ cat fb1.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use strict;
    use warnings;

    use Facebook;

    my $fb = Facebook->new(
    app_id => $app_id,
    api_key => $api_key,
    secret => $secret,
    );

    use Facebook::Signed;

    my $logged_in_fb = Facebook->new(
    signed => Facebook::Signed->new(
    secret => $secret,
    facebook_data => $facebook_cookie_for_your_application_as_text,
    ),
    app_id => $app_id,
    secret => $secret,
    api_key => $api_key,
    );

    # If you dont provide secret, it will try to fetch it from signed values
    my $shorter_logged_in_fb = Facebook->new(
    signed => Facebook::Signed->new(
    secret => $secret,
    facebook_data => $facebook_cookie_for_your_application_as_text,
    ),
    app_id => $app_id,
    api_key => $api_key,
    );

    # You need to have Facebook::Graph installed so that this works
    my $gettys_facebook_profile = $fb->graph->query
    ->find(100001153174797)
    ->include_metadata
    ->request
    ->as_hashref;

    __END__

    $

    How does my interpreter all of a sudden not know what I mean when I say
    "use?"
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 16, 2011
  4. Uno

    C.DeRykus Guest

    On Apr 16, 12:14 am, Uno <> wrote:
    > On 04/15/2011 02:22 AM, bugbear wrote:
    >
    > > I think facebook may well make extensive use of javascript and/or flash,
    > > which will complicate your task.

    > > BugBear

    > I'm able to complicate my task in any event:
    >
    > $ ./fb1.pl
    > ./fb1.pl: line 2: use: command not found
    > ./fb1.pl: line 3: use: command not found
    > ./fb1.pl: line 5: use: command not found
    > ./fb1.pl: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    > ./fb1.pl: line 7: `  my $fb = Facebook->new('
    > $ cat fb1.pl

    >   #!/usr/bin/perl

    ^^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^
    Eliminate leading space above

    --
    Charles DeRykus

    C.DeRykus, Apr 16, 2011
  5. On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 01:14:12 -0600, Uno wrote:

    > On 04/15/2011 02:22 AM, bugbear wrote:
    >
    >> I think facebook may well make extensive use of javascript and/or
    >> flash, which will complicate your task.
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > I'm able to complicate my task in any event:
    >
    > $ ./fb1.pl
    > ./fb1.pl: line 2: use: command not found ./fb1.pl: line 3: use: command
    > not found ./fb1.pl: line 5: use: command not found ./fb1.pl: line 7:
    > syntax error near unexpected token `(' ./fb1.pl: line 7: ` my $fb =
    > Facebook->new(' $ cat fb1.pl
    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > use strict;
    > use warnings;

    Get rid of the spaces before the hash. Your shell does not see it needs
    to start perl, so it is interpreted by the shell as a shell script.

    M4

    Martijn Lievaart, Apr 16, 2011
  6. Uno <> writes:

    > $ ./fb1.pl
    > ./fb1.pl: line 2: use: command not found
    > ./fb1.pl: line 3: use: command not found
    > ./fb1.pl: line 5: use: command not found
    > ./fb1.pl: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    > ./fb1.pl: line 7: ` my $fb = Facebook->new('
    > $ cat fb1.pl
    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > use strict;
    > use warnings;

    <snip>

    > How does my interpreter all of a sudden not know what I mean when I
    > say "use?"

    Because your system is trying to run a shell script instead of perl.

    When you launch an executable text file, Linux will look at the first
    two characters: if these are #!, then the rest of the line will be used
    as the interpreter command to run the text file with. If the first two
    characters are *not* #!, then the code will be run by your shell.

    Now take a *good* look at your code. What are the first two characters?

    Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

    Mart van de Wege, Apr 16, 2011
  7. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/16/2011 02:39 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:

    > Because your system is trying to run a shell script instead of perl.
    >
    > When you launch an executable text file, Linux will look at the first
    > two characters: if these are #!, then the rest of the line will be used
    > as the interpreter command to run the text file with. If the first two
    > characters are *not* #!, then the code will be run by your shell.
    >
    > Now take a *good* look at your code. What are the first two characters?
    >
    > Mart

    $ perl fb1.pl
    Global symbol "$app_id" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 8.
    Global symbol "$api_key" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 9.
    Global symbol "$secret" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 10.
    BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at fb1.pl line 13.
    $

    It was a single, white space. I find that white space is not your
    friend in perl.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 16, 2011
  8. Uno <> writes:

    > On 04/16/2011 02:39 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:
    >
    >> Because your system is trying to run a shell script instead of perl.
    >>
    >> When you launch an executable text file, Linux will look at the first
    >> two characters: if these are #!, then the rest of the line will be used
    >> as the interpreter command to run the text file with. If the first two
    >> characters are *not* #!, then the code will be run by your shell.
    >>
    >> Now take a *good* look at your code. What are the first two characters?
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    > $ perl fb1.pl
    > Global symbol "$app_id" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 8.
    > Global symbol "$api_key" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 9.
    > Global symbol "$secret" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 10.
    > BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at fb1.pl line 13.
    > $
    >
    > It was a single, white space. I find that white space is not your
    > friend in perl.

    When people do you the courtesy of patiently explaining how something
    works, please do have the courtesy in return of actually *reading* what
    they wrote.

    Mart van de Wege, Apr 16, 2011
  9. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/16/2011 11:26 AM, Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > Uno<> writes:
    >
    >> Why is my terminal always telling me that 'YAML' is not installed,
    >> while python-yaml is?

    > Because YAML is a Perl module, and python-yaml is not.
    >
    > sherm--

    $ man YAML
    $ ysh
    No command 'ysh' found, but there are 25 similar ones
    ysh: command not found
    $ perl fb1.pl
    Global symbol "$app_id" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 8.
    Global symbol "$api_key" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 9.
    Global symbol "$secret" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 10.
    BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at fb1.pl line 13.
    $ man Moose
    $ cat fb1.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use strict;
    use warnings;

    use Facebook;

    my $fb = Facebook->new(
    app_id => $app_id,
    api_key => $api_key,
    secret => $secret,
    );

[...]

    I had hoped that getting YAML, Moose, Facebook::Signed and so forth was
    going to help me resolve these 3 errors, but not so. Ideas?
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 17, 2011
  10. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/16/2011 08:26 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:
    > Uno<> writes:
    >
    >> On 04/16/2011 02:39 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because your system is trying to run a shell script instead of perl.
    >>>
    >>> When you launch an executable text file, Linux will look at the first
    >>> two characters: if these are #!, then the rest of the line will be used
    >>> as the interpreter command to run the text file with. If the first two
    >>> characters are *not* #!, then the code will be run by your shell.
    >>>
    >>> Now take a *good* look at your code. What are the first two characters?
    >>>
    >>> Mart
    >>>

    >> $ perl fb1.pl
    >> Global symbol "$app_id" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 8.
    >> Global symbol "$api_key" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 9.
    >> Global symbol "$secret" requires explicit package name at fb1.pl line 10.
    >> BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at fb1.pl line 13.
    >> $
    >>
    >> It was a single, white space. I find that white space is not your
    >> friend in perl.

    > When people do you the courtesy of patiently explaining how something
    > works, please do have the courtesy in return of actually *reading* what
    > they wrote.
    >
    > Mart

    Whatever, Mart, I think you overestimate your courtesy when you try to
    tell me what I read. The first 2 characters were whitespace and then a
    hash. Now I've got my shebang line correct and am moving on ....
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 17, 2011
  11. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/16/2011 10:08 PM, Tad McClellan wrote:

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^

    > ^^^^^^^
    >>>
    >>> When people do you the courtesy of patiently explaining how something
    >>> works, please do have the courtesy in return of actually *reading* what
    >>> they wrote.

    >> Whatever, Mart,

    > That's enough for me.
    >
    > So long.
    >

    >> I think you overestimate your courtesy when you try to
    >> tell me what I read.

    > You read it, but did not understand it!
    >

    >> The first 2 characters were whitespace

    > ... so there was no perl.
    >
    > So there was no "white space in perl" anywhere in the thread.

    $ cat fb1.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use strict;

    Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    need to resign.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 19, 2011
  12. Uno

    Uri Guttman Guest

    U> $ cat fb1.pl
    U> #!/usr/bin/perl
    U> use strict;

    U> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    U> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    U> need to resign.

    wow. you win the prize for the thickest head i have seen here since
    moronzilla graced us with its smell.

    do you even understand how unix run script programs? or what the #!
    means? or where it MUST be in the file to work? read the man pages on
    exec and its cousins (the unix system calls, not perl's). then come back
    on your knees and beg for forgiveness. whatever babbling you may do, it
    is obvious that the bug you had there IS NOT A PERL PROBLEM. perl never
    even gets to see that file. so how could it be a perl problem?

    sorry, i used logic on you. i won't make that mistake again as it
    doesn't penetrate.

    wow.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 19, 2011
  13. "Uri Guttman" <> writes:

    > U> $ cat fb1.pl
    > U> #!/usr/bin/perl
    > U> use strict;
    >
    > U> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    > U> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    > U> need to resign.
    >
    > wow. you win the prize for the thickest head i have seen here since
    > moronzilla graced us with its smell.
    >
    > do you even understand how unix run script programs? or what the #!
    > means?

    No he doesn't. Not even after he had it explained to him in what I
    *think* was fairly lucid English.

    Which is why I was rather short with him in my second reply in this
    thread.

    I say, plonk the guy. He is a cargo cult coder who expends *no* effort
    in understanding what he is copy/pasting, which means that it requires
    double the effort to make him understand. It's not worth it.

    Mart van de Wege, Apr 19, 2011
  14. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/18/2011 11:12 PM, Mart van de Wege wrote:

    >> U> $ cat fb1.pl
    >> U> #!/usr/bin/perl
    >> U> use strict;
    >>
    >> U> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    >> U> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    >> U> need to resign.
    >>
    >> wow. you win the prize for the thickest head i have seen here since
    >> moronzilla graced us with its smell.
    >>
    >> do you even understand how unix run script programs? or what the #!
    >> means?

    > No he doesn't. Not even after he had it explained to him in what I
    > *think* was fairly lucid English.
    >
    > Which is why I was rather short with him in my second reply in this
    > thread.
    >
    > I say, plonk the guy. He is a cargo cult coder who expends *no* effort
    > in understanding what he is copy/pasting, which means that it requires
    > double the effort to make him understand. It's not worth it.
    >
    > Mart

    Ich will nicht, dass du Dich in Verlegenheit bringst, da Dein Replik mir
    geholfen hat.

    Wer also "geplonkt" werde, das ist nicht Deine Sache.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 19, 2011
  15. Uno

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MvdW> "Uri Guttman" <> writes:

    U> $ cat fb1.pl
    U> #!/usr/bin/perl
    U> use strict;
    >>

    U> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    U> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    U> need to resign.
    >>
    >> wow. you win the prize for the thickest head i have seen here since
    >> moronzilla graced us with its smell.
    >>
    >> do you even understand how unix run script programs? or what the #!
    >> means?

    MvdW> No he doesn't. Not even after he had it explained to him in what I
    MvdW> *think* was fairly lucid English.

    it was. shebang is a dud to him! :)

    what i find amusing was in my days when i ported unix (bsd 4.1) i had
    delved into the very kernel exec code that looked at the first two bytes
    of a file for #! and then did the script exec instead of a binary
    one. the concept of first two bytes seems very lost here and spaces do
    count!

    MvdW> I say, plonk the guy. He is a cargo cult coder who expends *no* effort
    MvdW> in understanding what he is copy/pasting, which means that it requires
    MvdW> double the effort to make him understand. It's not worth it.

    i don't plonk in general but i can ignore him easily. i do like to read
    idiotic posts for the amusement value.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 19, 2011
  16. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/19/2011 12:36 AM, Uri Guttman wrote:

    > U> $ cat fb1.pl
    > U> #!/usr/bin/perl
    > U> use strict;
    > >>

    > U> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    > U> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    > U> need to resign.
    > >>
    > >> wow. you win the prize for the thickest head i have seen here since
    > >> moronzilla graced us with its smell.
    > >>
    > >> do you even understand how unix run script programs? or what the #!
    > >> means?

    > MvdW> No he doesn't. Not even after he had it explained to him in what I
    > MvdW> *think* was fairly lucid English.
    >
    > it was. shebang is a dud to him! :)
    >
    > what i find amusing was in my days when i ported unix (bsd 4.1) i had
    > delved into the very kernel exec code that looked at the first two bytes
    > of a file for #! and then did the script exec instead of a binary
    > one. the concept of first two bytes seems very lost here and spaces do
    > count!
    >
    > MvdW> I say, plonk the guy. He is a cargo cult coder who expends *no* effort
    > MvdW> in understanding what he is copy/pasting, which means that it requires
    > MvdW> double the effort to make him understand. It's not worth it.
    >
    > i don't plonk in general but i can ignore him easily. i do like to read
    > idiotic posts for the amusement value.
    >
    > uri

    So you came on to my thread with multiplicity to tell me that you're
    ignoring me?

    You are the smallest of creatures in the open source movement, because I
    think you're a con man.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 19, 2011
  17. Uno

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MvdW> "Uri Guttman"<> writes:

    U> $ cat fb1.pl
    U> #!/usr/bin/perl
    U> use strict;
    >> >>

    U> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    U> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    U> need to resign.

    MvdW> No he doesn't. Not even after he had it explained to him in what I
    MvdW> *think* was fairly lucid English.

    >> it was. shebang is a dud to him! :)
    >>
    >> what i find amusing was in my days when i ported unix (bsd 4.1) i had
    >> delved into the very kernel exec code that looked at the first two bytes
    >> of a file for #! and then did the script exec instead of a binary
    >> one. the concept of first two bytes seems very lost here and spaces do
    >> count!

    MvdW> I say, plonk the guy. He is a cargo cult coder who expends *no* effort
    MvdW> in understanding what he is copy/pasting, which means that it requires
    MvdW> double the effort to make him understand. It's not worth it.

    >> i don't plonk in general but i can ignore him easily. i do like to read
    >> idiotic posts for the amusement value.
    >>
    >> uri
    >>

    U> So you came on to my thread with multiplicity to tell me that you're
    U> ignoring me?

    i do it as a warning to others that you are a doofus. and that is
    putting it mildly.

    U> You are the smallest of creatures in the open source movement,
    U> because I think you're a con man.

    wow, you claim you think. i disagree. your turn to prove you
    think. think hard about that. oops. that must hurt you a lot. don't
    think so hard then, it is more your style.

    as for perl vs shebang, that should be put on thedailywtf.com. i am sure
    it would be accepted and shoot to the top of the charts. one the the
    dumbest comments on perl vs shell vs shebang i have ever seen.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 19, 2011
  18. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/19/2011 01:43 PM, Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > Uno<> writes:
    >
    >> $ cat fb1.pl
    >> #!/usr/bin/perl
    >> use strict;
    >>
    >> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    >> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    >> need to resign.

    > "Uno," get a grip. The space before the #! caused the OS to run the file
    > as a *shell script*. Once that happened, Perl wasn't involved at all.
    >
    > I'd like to help you, but you're about one ill-informed rant away from
    > being permanently ignored here.
    >
    > sherm--

    You know, sherm, I've decided that c.l.p.misc has problems I don't want
    to be a part of. Thanks for all your help.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 22, 2011
  19. Uno

    Uri Guttman Guest

    U> On 04/19/2011 01:43 PM, Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >> Uno<> writes:
    >>
    >>> $ cat fb1.pl
    >>> #!/usr/bin/perl
    >>> use strict;
    >>>
    >>> Are you stoned? Tad, if either being correct or promoting the
    >>> discussion in c.l.p.misc is part of your job description, I think you
    >>> need to resign.

    >> "Uno," get a grip. The space before the #! caused the OS to run the file
    >> as a *shell script*. Once that happened, Perl wasn't involved at all.
    >>
    >> I'd like to help you, but you're about one ill-informed rant away from
    >> being permanently ignored here.
    >>
    >> sherm--
    >>

    U> You know, sherm, I've decided that c.l.p.misc has problems I don't
    U> want to be a part of. Thanks for all your help.

    please don't let the keyboard smack you on the way out.

    you have been one of the dumbest posters here in a very long time. and
    that includes quite a few people. you still don't even realize that perl
    was never the problem and the space was the problem. until you get that,
    you will never learn more coding.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 22, 2011
  20. Uno

    Uno Guest

    On 04/21/2011 08:01 PM, Uri Guttman wrote:

    > please don't let the keyboard smack you on the way out.
    >
    > you have been one of the dumbest posters here in a very long time. and
    > that includes quite a few people. you still don't even realize that perl
    > was never the problem and the space was the problem. until you get that,
    > you will never learn more coding.
    >
    > uri

    So, Uri, what do you think of your contribution to my thread:

    From: "Uri Guttman" <>
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    Subject: Re: grabbing a facebook group
    Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:38:38 -0400