Graphical library - charts

przemolicc

Hello,

I have thousends of files with logs from monitoring system. Each file
has some important data (numbers). I'd like to create charts using those
numbers. Could you please suggest library which will allow creating
such charts ? The preferred chart is line chart.

Besides is there any library which allow me to zoom in/out of such chart ?
Sometimes I need to create chart using long-term data (a few months) but
then observe a minutes - it would be good to not create another short-term
chart but just zoom-in.

Those files are on one unix server and the charts will be displayed on
another unix server so the X-Window protocol is going to be used.

Any suggestions ?

Best regards
przemol

BJörn Lindqvist

2009/6/22 said:
Hello,

I have thousends of files with logs from monitoring system. Each file
has some important data (numbers). I'd like to create charts using those
numbers. Could you please suggest library which will allow creating
such charts ? The preferred chart is line chart.

Besides is there any library which allow me to zoom in/out of such chart ?
Sometimes I need to create chart using long-term data (a few months) but
then observe a minutes - it would be good to not create another short-term
chart but just zoom-in.

Those files are on one unix server and the charts will be displayed on
another unix server so the X-Window protocol is going to be used.

Try Google Charts. It is quite excellent for easily creating simple
charts. There is also Gnuplot which is more advanced and complicated.
Both tools have python bindings.

przemolicc

BJörn Lindqvist said:
Try Google Charts. It is quite excellent for easily creating simple
charts. There is also Gnuplot which is more advanced and complicated.
Both tools have python bindings.

By the way: do I need any access to internet while using this library ?

Regards
przemol

Terry Reedy

By the way: do I need any access to internet while using this library ?

http://code.google.com/apis/chart/basics.html

GoogleCharts are generated by Google in response to a url call to
Google. They are intended for embedding in a web page with the url being
part of an image element. While interesting for that, they may not be
what you want for your app The largest size is well less than full screen.

Paul Simon

I suggest you look at matplotlib. It's a bit of a learning curve but will
do whatever you need. I have a similar requirement and found that gnuplot
did not work for me. The plots are impressive.

Paul Simon

Lie Ryan

BJörn Lindqvist said:
Try Google Charts. It is quite excellent for easily creating simple
charts. There is also Gnuplot which is more advanced and complicated.
Both tools have python bindings.

I've used Quickplot (http://quickplot.sourceforge.net/) for similar
purpose. It's not the most elegant solution since the chart viewer is
external, not embedded to your program, but it works, zooming and all.

You simply need to create a program that convert the log file into list
of points and pipe it to quickplot or save it into a file and point
quickplot to it (look at the command line options).

The chart navigation is a bit unusual, but is efficient to work with
once you get used to it.

cgoldberg

I suggest you look at matplotlib.

+1
Another vote Matplotlib. It has impressive graphing/plotting
capabilities and is used as a Python module/library.

Description from site:
"matplotlib is a python 2D plotting library which produces publication
quality figures in a variety of hardcopy formats and interactive
environments across platforms. matplotlib can be used in python
scripts, the python and ipython shell (ala matlab or mathematica), web
application servers, and six graphical user interface toolkits."

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

-Corey Goldberg