Greenhorn Alarm

Ole Weigelt

Hi everybody,

I hope somebody can climb down to me or at least tell me where I can find
the approproate information. Unfortunately the MS website only tells you
what happy people can do with the nice applications we build with .NET and
not exactly what we need to get there.

Until now, I use VB6 and now I'm thinking of switching to .NET

I would like to write an application (preferrably in VB.net) that uses a web
site as interface so that the application can also be used through the
internet. Buttons to click, values to enter, results to see, everything in
the browser.

1. Do I have to install IIS on the host machine?
2. Does this machine have to host a server OS?
3. Do such applications run on W2K or only on higher OSes?
4. Anything else (except for programmer's capabilities) that should be
considered?

Thanks for any help

Ole

Oliver Wong

Ole Weigelt said:
I would like to write an application (preferrably in VB.net) that uses a
web
site as interface so that the application can also be used through the
internet.

When you say "can ALSO be used through the Internet", I hope you don't
mean that the same process running in memory can be controlled both via a
local GUI and via Internet connections at the same time, as that is
relatively difficult to program (essentially you'd have to implement a web
server yourself).

- Oliver

Ole Weigelt

When you say "can ALSO be used through the Internet", I hope you don't
mean that the same process running in memory can be controlled both via a
local GUI and via Internet connections at the same time, as that is
relatively difficult to program (essentially you'd have to implement a web
server yourself).

No, I was thinking of the same computer using the browser locally. The
'also' should only express the difference to another GUI.

Sorry for the confusion

(implementing my own web server was a task i am trying to avoid by this
question...)

Thanks, Oliver

darrenkopp