greetings

Richard Heathfield

Christopher Benson-Manica said:

either I am right a lot more than
I really expect or I've been plonked for some reason, as I get few

You are right a lot more than you really expect.

I used to wonder about that, too. Sometimes I just seemed to be posting
into a vacuum. (It doesn't help that so few people bother to
acknowledge the help one gives them.)

Just keep plugging away. Someone's bound to notice eventually.

<snip>

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
I don't know if you consider my "clueful", but I am using Google. The
reason for this is that I don't have access to any "normal" servers,
as my company restricts traffic to HTTP and FTP. I guess more people
have this problem, so you might filter out some good posts by
killfiling Google.

Thanks for the response. And of course you're right.

The problem remains, though - so I'll just have to find some other way
to solve it.

Nick Keighley

CBFalconer said:
[...] realize that google is not Usenet, it is just a
(relatively poor) interface to the Usenet system.

I really am getting very close to killfiling articles originating from
Grougle servers. Apart from user15939 or whatever he calls himself, are
there actually *any* clueful people here who post through Grougle?

I post through google. To which the obvious retort is "...and who told
you
you were clueful?"

Nick Keighley

I am not willing to even look at, less much read, that impressive reading
list.

more fool you. You don't think the Welcome message and the FAQ are
even worth a glance? All of them are worth a look.
If there is some poor soul who does, I wonder, is there is even one of them
that warns him that one of the main goals of many responders is to show
what a witty fellow with a delightful sense of humor the responder is?

well, they'll tell you what off-topic is. They'll tell you why
void main() is wrong. Insome cases the "wutty" reponses are triggered
by the fact that many posters don't make the slightest attempt to
research their question before they post or learn basic nettiquet
(sp?)
newcomer can *not* distinguish many such attempts from serious answers.
Bottom line: turn your nonsense detector up to maximum sensitivity. And hope
for the best.

My guess, without reading, there is no such warning

don't guess, read em.

No, I havn't read all of them. But I have read most of them.