    want to use ComboBox but default tk does not contain combobox control.
    How can i use it ? and What is the difference between TCL and TK ??

    thanks...

    lote, Nov 6, 2007

  2. lote

    Ron Fox Guest

    Tcl is a scripting language quite a bit different from ruby,
    tk is a GUI extension to that scripting language that has been
    picked up by other scripting languages as well to serve as their
    own GUI extension (for more on Tcl/Tk directly, see http://www.tcl.tk).

    I could answer this question in Tcl by saying that the tile widget set
    in Tk 8.5beta supports comboboxes, however I doubt that Ruby/Tk is that
    up-to-date with respect to Tk versions.

    Now ComboBox spelled in that way is a BWidget widget (a 'megawidget set'
    that is an add on to Tk). Ruby/Tk at http://rubytk.jurijveresciaka.com/
    says you make this by doing:

    Tk::BWidget::ComboBox.new(root)

    I believe to use this you'll have to get the BWidget extensions
    installed to your Tk installation. See e.g.

    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/143351

    If you can tell me what operating system/distribution you are running on
    I could probably help you figure out how to do that.
    Feel free to contact me off line if you prefer, as this is probably
    wandering a bit off topic for the list (into the realm of Tcl/Tk from
    Ruby).

    Ron Fox

    Ron Fox, Nov 6, 2007

  3. From: Ron Fox <>
    Subject: Re: GUI Combobox
    Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 21:12:04 +0900
    > I could answer this question in Tcl by saying that the tile widget set
    > in Tk 8.5beta supports comboboxes, however I doubt that Ruby/Tk is that
    > up-to-date with respect to Tk versions.

    Current Ruby/Tk (require 'tkextlib/tile') can support many part of
    Tile (Ttk) widgets on Tk8.5beta. But, for complete support, some
    libraries (especially, 'tkextlib/tile/style.rb') need to be updated.

    > Now ComboBox spelled in that way is a BWidget widget (a 'megawidget set'

    See also <ruby source>/ext/tk/sample/tkcombobox.rb. ;-)
    --
    Hidetoshi NAGAI ()

    Hidetoshi NAGAI, Nov 6, 2007