GUI Library preferred by Standard programmers

Frederick Gotham

For those of you who strive to write fully portable, Standard-compliant code:
What's the best library for writing GUI applications?

I've heard good things about wxWidgets. Would it be the preferred choice?

Roland Pibinger

For those of you who strive to write fully portable, Standard-compliant code:
What's the best library for writing GUI applications?

HTML? We live in 2006!

Duane Hebert

Frederick Gotham said:
For those of you who strive to write fully portable, Standard-compliant
code:
What's the best library for writing GUI applications?

I've heard good things about wxWidgets. Would it be the preferred choice?

Qt. Last time I looked at wxWidgets (2+ years) it seemed to use
a lot of old style constructs - macros and such. Qt keeps that
to a minimum.

Phlip

Duane said:
Qt. Last time I looked at wxWidgets (2+ years) it seemed to use a lot of
old style constructs - macros and such. Qt keeps that to a minimum.

By adding 2 new keywords, signals & slots.

Oh, and they are dynamically typed, where the rest of C++ (including
careful macro usage) is statically typed.

Pick your poison.

Duane Hebert

Phlip said:
By adding 2 new keywords, signals & slots.

Oh, and they are dynamically typed, where the rest of C++ (including
careful macro usage) is statically typed.

QDialog doh(this);
doh.exec();
Pick your poison.

Sure.

Roland Pibinger

Qt. Last time I looked at wxWidgets (2+ years) it seemed to use
a lot of old style constructs - macros and such.

If I had time for an experiment I would try wxLua
(http://wxlua.sourceforge.net/). C++ is not a good choice for GUI
programming. Lua (http://www.lua.org/) brings the flexibility of a
scripting language to C++. The combination of Lua and Wx seems
promising although wxLua currently is in "Development Status : 4 -
Beta".

Best wishes,
Roland Pibinger

Roland Pibinger

By adding 2 new keywords, signals & slots.

.... and foreach. So, Qt-C++ isn't C++ any more, just lile C++/CLI.
Oh, and they are dynamically typed, where the rest of C++ (including
careful macro usage) is statically typed.

You mean, the 'rest of C++' does not support polymorphic programming?

Duane Hebert

Roland Pibinger said:
... and foreach. So, Qt-C++ isn't C++ any more, just lile C++/CLI.

Qt has some extensions but unlike some other gui libs,
you don't need to use them.
You mean, the 'rest of C++' does not support polymorphic programming?

Yeah, I didn't get that either. I would prefer that to
extensive use of macros.

Phlip

Roland said:
You mean, the 'rest of C++' does not support polymorphic programming?

Static typing means earlying binding to the base type of a set of
polymorphic types. All types in the set must relate by inheritance (to
provide the vtable or equivalent).

GUIs work best with dynamic typing (and block closures, which Qt doesn't
provide).

Qt provides dynamic typing when the 'signal' keyword does not specify which
base type must satisfy a corresponding 'slot'. Any type with a matching slot
will qualify.

That's not a bad thing, but it is indeed one more inconsistency between raw
C++ and Qt-C++.

Macros, by contrast, and despite their other flaws, can enforce a modest
amount of early typing.

Dmytro

Frederick Gotham напиÑав:
For those of you who strive to write fully portable, Standard-compliant code:
What's the best library for writing GUI applications?

I've heard good things about wxWidgets. Would it be the preferred choice?

What do you think about FOX?

http://www.fox-toolkit.org/

Gernot Frisch

For those of you who strive to write fully portable,
Standard-compliant code:
What's the best library for writing GUI applications?

I've heard good things about wxWidgets. Would it be the preferred
choice?

I wonder if there's any of the x-platform webbrosers, that provide a
slim and clean way of making a C++ program with a HTML/JavaScript GUI
frontend...

Kang Cui

Frederick said:
For those of you who strive to write fully portable, Standard-compliant code:
What's the best library for writing GUI applications?

I've heard good things about wxWidgets. Would it be the preferred choice?

I think SmartWin++ is maybe another choice,I found it at
www.sourceforge.net,and have tried for some time.The framework is
designed in modern c++ style,and support std c++.I hope anyone who
experienced the framework could tell me about his opinion.

Diego Martins

Phlip said:
Lua (like wxPython and the apocryphal wyRuby) provides dynamic typing and -
generally - block closures. GUIs need them.

can we embed Lua in C or C++?

Phlip

Diego said:
can we embed Lua in C or C++?

It happens all the time - that's how most of the game industry works.
Programmers write the engine in C++, with C libraries, and bond to Lua.
Then designers script each game level by authoring monsters in Lua,
associating them with props and triggers, etc.

Python, Perl, Ruby, etc. all enjoy this grace. And the technique
'AlternateHardAndSoftLayers' makes C++ very flexible and easy to work
with. Your high-level logic should be in the softer language.

Frederick Gotham

Frederick Gotham posted:
For those of you who strive to write fully portable, Standard-compliant
code:
What's the best library for writing GUI applications?

I've heard good things about wxWidgets. Would it be the preferred
choice?

I'm looking for the library which interacts best with the C++ Standard
Library.

I think I'm torn between wxWidgets and Qt at the moment.