GUI:-please answer want to learn GUI programming in python , howshould i proceed.

Chris Angelico

With Windows it *is* "normal". An experienced software developer
once even explained the reason to me. When a single process on Windows
does I/O, then the system essentially falls back to "single tasking".
Or (non-)"cooperative multitasking" at best, depending on how
dissocial the developer of that process is.

What?!

I've supported Windows for quite a few years now (ever since I stopped
being OS/2-exclusive (and will do until I can be Linux-exclusive...
too many people use it for me to drop it). There is nothing
cooperative or single-threaded about Windows multitasking around I/O.

I don't disagree that it absolutely sucks compared to Linux (even OS/2
from the 1990s beats today's Windows in a few areas), but not that
one.

ChrisA

Dave Angel

Re: GUI:please answer want to learn GUI programming in python ,
how should i proceed.

With Windows it *is* "normal". An experienced software developer
once even explained the reason to me. When a single process on Windows
does I/O, then the system essentially falls back to "single tasking".
Or (non-)"cooperative multitasking" at best, depending on how
dissocial the developer of that process is.

If you were told this 20 years ago, perhaps. But Windows hasn't been
running on DOS for a long time. Starting with NT 3.1, that's
nonsense.

Chris Angelico

If you were told this 20 years ago, perhaps. But Windows hasn't been
running on DOS for a long time. Starting with NT 3.1, that's nonsense.

Actually, one thing I might believe is that when one process trips a
page fault and has to be swapped back in, all other processes freeze,
waiting on the memory manager. But I'd want to see some evidence that
that's the case. It's plausible (based on some of the problems I've
seen) but by no means necessarily true.

ChrisA

Martin Schöön

This thread hasn't been close to Python for while now and should
be shut down. But, it is actually kind of interesting since you
debate possible mechanisms behind the behaviour of my Windows box
at work: "Not responding" is happening to me daily for any
application including Microsoft's own Office Suite. I hoped it
would go away when we moved from Vista to W7 but it didn't.

In all fairness, our computers have both corporate and HP crapware
installed so Microsoft may be innocent.

Coming from many years of SUN Solaris experience I may be a bit
spoiled when it comes to robustness :)

Now, let's leave this behind and spend time on Python -- something I
with a formal programming education dating back to 1980 and F77 find
fascinating.

/Martin

wxjmfauth

Le vendredi 20 décembre 2013 18:52:44 UTC+1, Martin Schöön a écrit :
This thread hasn't been close to Python for while now and should

be shut down. But, it is actually kind of interesting since you

debate possible mechanisms behind the behaviour of my Windows box

at work: "Not responding" is happening to me daily for any

application including Microsoft's own Office Suite. I hoped it

would go away when we moved from Vista to W7 but it didn't.

In all fairness, our computers have both corporate and HP crapware

installed so Microsoft may be innocent.

Coming from many years of SUN Solaris experience I may be a bit

spoiled when it comes to robustness :)

Now, let's leave this behind and spend time on Python -- something I

with a formal programming education dating back to 1980 and F77 find

fascinating.

The fact, that a main app window [%] falls in a "Ne répond pas",
("Not responding") state [*] with a mouse pointer becoming a
"waiting pointer" is not so dramatic. As I pointed, despite
this message in the title bar, the app works properly(?).

The fact, that system becomes "unstable" is more critical.
While being in that [*]-state, any attempt to work with
the mouse, eg clicking on an another app window, leads
to a [%] kill and to a msg box "Python has stopped working...".

The Python process can be killed, it does not hurt the system.

I'm observing this with the Qt-derivatives, PySide and PyQt4,
and Python 3.3. Not with Python 3.2.
From where does it come from? No idea. I'm inclined to
think, it's on the Qt side.

Windows 7 pro

jmf

Martin Schöön

Den 2013-12-20 skrev Mark Lawrence said:
You never had the pleasure of working on VMS then? :)
Only very, very little and I have no clear memories of it. It was
back in the days before I learned to save my work every few seconds
just in case because just in case didn't happen to us then.

I took OS stability for granted in those days.

/Martin

Wolfgang Keller

On an actual operating system, the attitude of the developers (do
I'll note that Python core developers do care about memory leaks.

And that's a really good thing.

But unfortunately, these days, it's rather the exception.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

wxjmfauth

Le lundi 23 décembre 2013 18:59:41 UTC+1, Wolfgang Keller a écrit :
And that's a really good thing.

But unfortunately, these days, it's rather the exception.

Memory? Let me laugh!
18

I'm deeply convinced, one will soon see that
technology in CID font.

jmf

Mark Lawrence

Is it a crime to hijack an already-hijacked thread?

ChrisA

Yes, especially when written with our favourite bug ridden pile of garbage.

Perhaps we should write up something for the Python wiki so that
everyone can send double line feeds from any technology, that way
everybody would feel at home as we'd all be in the same boat.

Dan Stromberg

There are many ways to build a GUI with Python. Some of the more
popular toolkits are Tk (tkinter), wxWidgets (wxpython), and GTK.
Explore those and see which one you like; I personally quite like GTK,
and the others have their fans too. There are GUI builders for each of
the above (I think; definitely wx and GTK do), or you can build
everything directly in code (my preferred style). Play around with it
and see what you like!

I also like GTK. I thought it would be relevant to point out that
pygtk only works on Python 2.x; gi.repository.Gtk works on 2.x and
3.x.

Terry Reedy

Le lundi 23 décembre 2013 18:59:41 UTC+1, Wolfgang Keller a écrit :
[me]
I'll note that Python core developers do care about memory leaks.
And that's a really good thing.
Memory? Let me laugh!
[snip repeated (for about the 5th time) posting of single character
memory sizes]

Jim, since I know you are smart enough to know the different between a
small fixed size and a continuous leak, I can only think that the
purpose of your repeated post was to get similarly a inane response from
a couple of other people. That is the definition of trolling. It is
disrespectful of others and in my opinion is a violation of the Python
Code of Conduct, which *does* apply to python-list. Please desist.

Mark Lawrence

Le lundi 23 décembre 2013 18:59:41 UTC+1, Wolfgang Keller a écrit :
[me]
I'll note that Python core developers do care about memory leaks.
And that's a really good thing.
Memory? Let me laugh!
[snip repeated (for about the 5th time) posting of single character
memory sizes]

Jim, since I know you are smart enough to know the different between a
small fixed size and a continuous leak, I can only think that the
purpose of your repeated post was to get similarly a inane response from
a couple of other people. That is the definition of trolling. It is
disrespectful of others and in my opinion is a violation of the Python
Code of Conduct, which *does* apply to python-list. Please desist.

Thanks for this Terry. I was sorely tempted earlier to say something
but managed to keep control of myself. Now I'll be keeping quiet and
let Jim speak for himself.

wxjmfauth

Le lundi 23 décembre 2013 21:53:13 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :
Le lundi 23 décembre 2013 18:59:41 UTC+1, Wolfgang Keller a écrit :
[me]
I'll note that Python core developers do care about memory leaks.
And that's a really good thing.

Memory? Let me laugh!

[snip repeated (for about the 5th time) posting of single character

memory sizes]

Jim, since I know you are smart enough to know the different between a

small fixed size and a continuous leak, I can only think that the

purpose of your repeated post was to get similarly a inane response from

a couple of other people. That is the definition of trolling. It is

disrespectful of others and in my opinion is a violation of the Python

Code of Conduct, which *does* apply to python-list. Please desist.

This is gui related.

This code point could have been a grapheme of
a korean glyph (Hangul script) used to to
populate a text widget of a gui toolkit.

jmf

Mark Lawrence

On 24/12/2013 10:22, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

<sorry folks>

[once again snip double spaced google crap]
This is gui related.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pull_the_other_one,_it's_got_bells_on

This isn't adding anything. It might even be trolling.

There is nothing trolling about it. How "Joseph McCarthy" can expect us
to believe that he's talking about Guis when Terry has snipped this
18

leaving only this

Memory? Let me laugh!

is anybody's guess hence my link.

I will repeat, for perhaps the fourth time, that while JM continues his
malicious attacks on the Python core developers via the nonsense that he
writes about PEP 393 and the FSR, I will continue to attack him until he
either shuts up or is shut up, or provides the evidence to support his
claims. As the latter can never happen (he's had ample opportunity to
do so, but strangely never replies to any requests to do just that), it
will have to be the former by definition.

Ned Batchelder

[...]

I agree that JM's complaints are baseless and silly. But they are not
attacks on people. Criticizing the product is not criticizing the authors.

You should stop attacking him. The best way to reduce the noise from JM
is to ignore him. Your "defense" of the core developers is at least as
distracting and detracting from this list's purpose as JM's baseless
criticisms.

The first step with a troll is to ignore them.

Joshua Landau

Le lundi 23 décembre 2013 18:59:41 UTC+1, Wolfgang Keller a écrit :
[me]

I'll note that Python core developers do care about memory leaks.

And that's a really good thing.
Memory? Let me laugh!

[snip repeated (for about the 5th time) posting of single character memory
sizes]

Jim, since I know you are smart enough to know the different between a small
fixed size and a continuous leak, I can only think that the purpose of your
repeated post was to get similarly a inane response from a couple of other
people. That is the definition of trolling. It is disrespectful of others
and in my opinion is a violation of the Python Code of Conduct, which *does*
apply to python-list. Please desist.

Agreed;
It's also a shame that it's so easy for such diversions to snowball so
often, and thus derail so many threads. Sometimes I feel that we have
so much trolling on this list because we're easy targets.

Nonetheless, I join in to ask jmf to stop posting these threads as
they do cause harm to the community. If you do not, I would rather
some form of moderating be applied.

A thanks to everyone who hasn't been so easily caught up in this malarky.