Happy Java developer miserable with SQL

lyallex

Hi

I have had the luxury of a DBA to write all the complicated SQL stuff
for the past few years, all I had to do was deal with the ResultSets.
Now I'm on my own and I'm stuck.

Can anyone point me to a group, list or site where I can get some help
with (MySQL) queries. Somewhere where they don't shout at the
inexperienced but keen to learn.

Thanks
Duncan

Ishwor Gurung

lyallex said:
Hi

I have had the luxury of a DBA to write all the complicated SQL stuff
for the past few years, all I had to do was deal with the ResultSets.
Now I'm on my own and I'm stuck.

I think if it's JDBC, it'll be fine in here IMO.
Can anyone point me to a group, list or site where I can get some help
with (MySQL) queries. Somewhere where they don't shout at the
inexperienced but keen to learn.

a.c.d.sql?

Mark Space

lyallex said:
Can anyone point me to a group, list or site where I can get some help
with (MySQL) queries. Somewhere where they don't shout at the
inexperienced but keen to learn.

Most database vendors also sell books, offer courses, etc. Check your
vendor's web site. They may also have a tech help email list.

Books and info on SQL abound. Just start doing Google searches.

SQL is not that hard. Hang in there.

Lew

Mark said:
SQL is not that hard. Hang in there.

No, but it has subtleties and is at least as hard to master as Java. Harder,
if you're used to thinking in languages like Java. The key to SQL is
understanding sets and logic operations.

You will also never grok SQL properly if you aren't well grounded in
relational theory.

Actually, I guess SQL is that hard.

lyallex

Mark said:
Most database vendors also sell books, offer courses, etc. Check your
vendor's web site. They may also have a tech help email list.

Books and info on SQL abound. Just start doing Google searches.

SQL is not that hard. Hang in there.

Well, thanks for your thoughts, actually I have the book, I'm on the
list, I've tried the site and I've got the T-Shirt.

As a developer with 8 years Java experience, a degree in Computer
Science and a reasonable understanding of relational theory I find SQL
blooming hard at times.

If you find it easy would you like to try and answer my question ?
I'd be most grateful ;-)

Cheers
Duncan

Mark Space

lyallex said:
Well, thanks for your thoughts, actually I have the book, I'm on the
list, I've tried the site and I've got the T-Shirt.

As a developer with 8 years Java experience, a degree in Computer
Science and a reasonable understanding of relational theory I find SQL
blooming hard at times.

If you find it easy would you like to try and answer my question ?
I'd be most grateful ;-)

Ah, well *basic* SQL is not that hard. One can certainly wind oneself
into intractable situations though. ^_^

Seriously, you say your on your vendor's help list, but you can't get
answers there? You must truly be in a pickle.

There's at least two SQL news groups, mySQL and postgre. Both of which
can be found by search the news group list for "SQL". Have you tried
those? If your question doesn't involve vendor specific extensions, I
bet you could get an answer there.

bugbear

lyallex said:
Hi

I have had the luxury of a DBA to write all the complicated SQL stuff
for the past few years, all I had to do was deal with the ResultSets.
Now I'm on my own and I'm stuck.

Can anyone point me to a group, list or site where I can get some help
with (MySQL) queries. Somewhere where they don't shout at the
inexperienced but keen to learn.

Probably best to work though a couple of tutorials
before asking questions.

BugBear

TobiMc3

Can anyone point me to a group, list or site where I can get some help
with (MySQL) queries. Somewhere where they don't shout at the
inexperienced but keen to learn.

I like using TOAD, because you can drag and drop tables to create a
query, and it will automatically create the relationships between the
tables if there are PK/FK relationships.
I use TOAD for Oracle, and it appears there is a freeware version for
MySQL.

http://revlabs.tempdomainname.com/toadsoft/toadmysql/Overview.htm

I'm not sure if this version has the same drag and drop visual tool
that the licensed version does that I use-so you may want to research
that before downloading.

Tobi