Have to Be A Virtual Directory?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Chan, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Chan

    Chan Guest

    I have a project named NET. It has .aspx and one .asmx files. This NET
    is a virtual directory and application in IIS:
    - All .aspx and one .asmx and their .vb files are located at the root
    level of NET.
    - Win2K with SP4.
    - .Net Framework 1.1.4322
    - .NET Studio 2003

    I can do the followings without using WSDL.exe and VBC.exe at command
    line:
    - use http://localhost/NET/WebService.asmx to test it.
    - run a .aspx as client to call WebService's members.

    To deploy the .asmx service to a different box WITHOUT .NET Studio
    2003 ONLY, following steps were carried out:
    <1> run WSDL at command line exactly as
    wsdl /l:VB /out:WebService.vb http://localhost/NET/WebService.asmx
    /n:NET
    <2> run VBC at command line exactly as
    vbc /t:library /out:WebService.dll WebService.vb /r:syste.dll
    /r:system.web.services.dll
    put the generated .dll into \NET\bin
    <3> copy my WebService.* from local \NET directory to remote \NET
    directory.
    <4> copy WebService.dll from local \NET\bin to remote \NET\bin
    directory.

    So far, no problem. But can not even test the service using
    http://<RemoteServerName>/NET/WebService.asmx

    Here is the actual error returned
    -------------------------------------
    Parser Error Message: Could not create type 'NET.WebService'.
    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ WebService Language="vb" Codebehind="WebService.asmx.vb"
    Class="NET.WebService" %>
    -------------------------------------

    If the same problem with .aspx, it can be resolved by simply "Build"
    the solution in .NET Studio 2003.

    I then read Framework doc, titled "Ddploying XML Web Services", it
    said a virtual directory & app is needed for the web service, then the
    bin under it. Still failed with the same error.

    So, I don't think an individual virtual directory & app is needed. And
    I don't think "localhost" in the wsdl kills it.

    Is there any expert?

    Thanks.
    Chan, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Chan

    Jan Tielens Guest

    Why are you re-compiling the webservice proxy?

    My guess is that it has something to do with the compiled assembly. Do you
    have set your version numbers in the assembly.info file (e.g. 1.0.0.0
    instead of 1.*)?

    --
    Greetz

    Jan Tielens
    ________________________________

    Jan Tielens, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Chan

    H Chan Guest

    Re-compiling?

    If you meant the "Build", that's the way .NET Studio works to "Run".

    If you meant wsdl.exe, that's what's the online doc said. First wsdl,
    then vbc to generate the .dll and others.

    Chan, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Chan

    Guogang Guest

    My guess is that you have not enabled "Application" for your directory after
    XCopy deployment.

    Open property dialog of your directory in IIS manager, under "Application
    Settings", if there is a "Create" button, click the button will solve your
    problem.

    Guogang, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Chan

    Chan Guest

    It's an application besides a virtual directory.
    Chan, Jan 19, 2004