include virtual in virtual directory?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by rockdale, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. rockdale

    rockdale Guest

    Hi, all:

    Hope somebody can solve this problem for me.

    We are migrating 3 asp website into IIS 6.0 on a server 2003. we do
    not want to create 3 website since we do not want to acquire different
    ports or ip for these websites. SO we create 3 virtual directory under
    the default website, but we got problems because the asp pages include
    common code in other asp files and the original developer using
    include virtual to include the common code asp files.

    The error I got is :

    HTTP 500.100 - Internal server error: ASP error.
    Internet Information Services

    Error Type:
    Active Server Pages, ASP 0126 (0x80004005)
    The include file '/top.asp' was not found.
    /website_test/index.asp, line 1

    Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR
    1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR
    3.5.21022)

    The source code in the index.asp is <!-- #INCLUDE VIRTUAL="/top.asp" --

    and the top.asp is under the same directory with index.asp.

    -----------------------------------

    If I create website then it works fine, the top.asp is found and the
    page shows properly.

    I know one way is the change all include virtual to include file, but
    that's too much workload considering the I am not original developer
    and they have the include virtual everywhere.

    I kind know why this error occurred, it is because I create the
    virtual directory, so the include virtual="/top.asp" should changed to
    include virtual="/website_test/top.asp" since the wwwroot is not the
    root anymore. or my understanding is wrong.

    Anybody can give me a hand?

    Thanks in advance
    -rockdale
    rockdale, Sep 3, 2008

  2. rockdale

    Evertjan. Guest

    rockdale wrote on 03 sep 2008 in

    > Hi, all:
    >
    > Hope somebody can solve this problem for me.
    >
    > We are migrating 3 asp website into IIS 6.0 on a server 2003. we do
    > not want to create 3 website since we do not want to acquire different
    > ports or ip for these websites. SO we create 3 virtual directory under
    > the default website, but we got problems because the asp pages include
    > common code in other asp files and the original developer using
    > include virtual to include the common code asp files.
    >
    > The error I got is :
    >
    > HTTP 500.100 - Internal server error: ASP error.
    > Internet Information Services

    > ---------
    >
    > Technical Information (for support personnel)
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Active Server Pages, ASP 0126 (0x80004005)
    > The include file '/top.asp' was not found.
    > /website_test/index.asp, line 1
    >
    > Browser Type:
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR
    > 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR
    > 3.5.21022)
    >

    > The source code in the index.asp is <!-- #INCLUDE VIRTUAL="/top.asp"
    > --
    >>

    > and the top.asp is under the same directory with index.asp.
    >
    > -----------------------------------
    >
    > If I create website then it works fine, the top.asp is found and the
    > page shows properly.
    >
    > I know one way is the change all include virtual to include file, but
    > that's too much workload considering the I am not original developer
    > and they have the include virtual everywhere.
    >
    > I kind know why this error occurred, it is because I create the
    > virtual directory, so the include virtual="/top.asp" should changed to
    > include virtual="/website_test/top.asp" since the wwwroot is not the
    > root anymore. or my understanding is wrong.
    >
    > Anybody can give me a hand?

    methinks:

    Just copy the top.asp to the several places where the virtual includes
    expect them.

    Or, if top.asp would be changed regularly,
    have an include to the "master" top.asp in the other top.asp-s.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Sep 3, 2008

  3. "rockdale" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, all:
    >
    > Hope somebody can solve this problem for me.
    >
    > We are migrating 3 asp website into IIS 6.0 on a server 2003. we do
    > not want to create 3 website since we do not want to acquire different
    > ports or ip for these websites. SO we create 3 virtual directory under
    > the default website, but we got problems because the asp pages include
    > common code in other asp files and the original developer using
    > include virtual to include the common code asp files.
    >
    > The error I got is :
    >
    > HTTP 500.100 - Internal server error: ASP error.
    > Internet Information Services

    > Technical Information (for support personnel)
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Active Server Pages, ASP 0126 (0x80004005)
    > The include file '/top.asp' was not found.
    > /website_test/index.asp, line 1
    >
    > Browser Type:
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR
    > 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR
    > 3.5.21022)
    >

    > The source code in the index.asp is <!-- #INCLUDE VIRTUAL="/top.asp" --
    >>

    > and the top.asp is under the same directory with index.asp.
    >
    > -----------------------------------
    >
    > If I create website then it works fine, the top.asp is found and the
    > page shows properly.
    >
    > I know one way is the change all include virtual to include file, but
    > that's too much workload considering the I am not original developer
    > and they have the include virtual everywhere.
    >
    > I kind know why this error occurred, it is because I create the
    > virtual directory, so the include virtual="/top.asp" should changed to
    > include virtual="/website_test/top.asp" since the wwwroot is not the
    > root anymore. or my understanding is wrong.
    >
    > Anybody can give me a hand?

    Are you aware that IIS can differentiate between websites based on the host
    header alone? IOW, multiple websites can be served on the same IP address
    through the same port.

    You might find it is a lot easier to create three separate web sites and add
    three new hostnames to your DNS. Then assign each of the fully quailified
    host names to each of the web sites.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Sep 4, 2008
  4. rockdale

    rockdale Guest

    > Are you aware that IIS can differentiate between websites based on the host
    > header alone? IOW, multiple websites can be served on the same IP address
    > through the same port.

    I did not know about. I thought we need to assign either different IP
    address or open different port for each website.
    Can you be more specific or point me to related web resources?

    Again, thanks a lot.
    -rockdale
    rockdale, Sep 4, 2008