Have you seen this situation?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Hai Nguyen, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Hai Nguyen

    Hai Nguyen Guest

    Hi everyone

    My web project runs on machine (local host) successfully. I deployed it on
    development server and I met a lot of troubles. I need your solutions for
    these

    1> What is the best way to maintain my application?
    Here what I did and I don't think this is a good way.
    Everytime I want to implement my project, I copy files or ftp files from
    the server back to my machine, fix it on my machine and deploy it back to
    the server. This is troublesome since application involves a lot of people
    and some code are hardcoded in the web.config to meet expectations of the
    path of server. It's really hard for me maintain this large scale web
    application

    2> What I saw on machine does not act exactly what I saw when I run on
    development server

    I have validation checks for textboxes which require user to fill in. It
    will report an error message and expect user to fill it out before can move
    next. After everytime, an instruction is satisfied it will update database.
    When testing on my local machine it does not allow to procceed to the next
    page if instruction is not satisfied. On my server, it just keeps letting
    user goes through and ingore all the validation checks

    3> I would like to know what is the best way to start learning how to use
    Web Application Test? I tried to practice on the tool. However I still have
    no clue how to use it. Any instruction on this would be so helpful for me to
    stimulate testing scenarios for the project.

    Thanks for everyone
    Hai Nguyen, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Hai Nguyen

    Hermit Dave Guest

    "Hai Nguyen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > My web project runs on machine (local host) successfully. I deployed it on
    > development server and I met a lot of troubles. I need your solutions for
    > these
    >
    > 1> What is the best way to maintain my application?
    > Here what I did and I don't think this is a good way.
    > Everytime I want to implement my project, I copy files or ftp files from
    > the server back to my machine, fix it on my machine and deploy it back to
    > the server. This is troublesome since application involves a lot of people
    > and some code are hardcoded in the web.config to meet expectations of the
    > path of server. It's really hard for me maintain this large scale web
    > application

    Most preferred method is xcopy deployment but as you say the site is large.
    but unless you have a physical access to the server thats your best bet. if
    however you have physical access to the server, try packing the application
    using windows installer.

    > 2> What I saw on machine does not act exactly what I saw when I run on
    > development server
    >
    > I have validation checks for textboxes which require user to fill in. It
    > will report an error message and expect user to fill it out before can
    > move
    > next. After everytime, an instruction is satisfied it will update
    > database.
    > When testing on my local machine it does not allow to procceed to the next
    > page if instruction is not satisfied. On my server, it just keeps letting
    > user goes through and ingore all the validation checks

    in the web root you will find a directory call "aspnet_client". that is the
    directory that has validation scripts. That is normally there in a properly
    configure web root. if your production box doesnt have it then the
    validation controls wont work ( i deleted mine cause i did not know it
    then... got it working when i uploaded them)

    > 3> I would like to know what is the best way to start learning how to use
    > Web Application Test? I tried to practice on the tool. However I still
    > have
    > no clue how to use it. Any instruction on this would be so helpful for me
    > stimulate testing scenarios for the project.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...t/itsolutions/intranet/downloads/webstres.asp

    here's your tutorial

    Hermit Dave, Feb 4, 2004