Having a form problem with emailing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dennis M, Oct 17, 2009.

  1. Dennis M

    Dennis M Guest

    Hi all, I just bought a Bible-searching site from a developer on eBay. It
    uses a mysql file to search the entire Bible, and I have that up and
    running fine. However, one of its features allows you to "mail a chapter of
    the Bible to a friend" and on my site when you go to a particular Bible
    chapter and try to mail it, the chapter isn't inside the value="" tag on
    the form, however it is in that tag when you go to the original developer's
    Bible site and try to mail a chapter from there. I was wondering what's
    gone wrong here, I only had to do some simple modifications to the files
    due to the difference in the site names and hopefully it's a pretty easy
    fix.

    My site is Superbiblesite.info, and the original site is
    Ebiblesearcher.com. You can try to email yourself a chapter from both of
    those sites and do a view source to see what I'm talking about.

    Thanks in advance for any help!
     
    Dennis M, Oct 17, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dennis M

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, lid (Dennis M) wrote:
    >Hi all, I just bought a Bible-searching site from a developer on eBay. It
    >uses a mysql file to search the entire Bible, and I have that up and
    >running fine. However, one of its features allows you to "mail a chapter of
    >the Bible to a friend" and on my site when you go to a particular Bible
    >chapter and try to mail it, the chapter isn't inside the value="" tag on
    >the form,


    The problem has nothing at all to do with HTML -- it's in the script you're
    using to generate that page.

    > however it is in that tag when you go to the original developer's
    >Bible site and try to mail a chapter from there. I was wondering what's
    >gone wrong here, I only had to do some simple modifications to the files
    >due to the difference in the site names and hopefully it's a pretty easy
    >fix.
    >
    >My site is Superbiblesite.info, and the original site is
    >Ebiblesearcher.com. You can try to email yourself a chapter from both of
    >those sites and do a view source to see what I'm talking about.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help!


    I hope you didn't pay very much for this site, considering the grammar errors
    it contains...
     
    Doug Miller, Oct 17, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dennis M

    Dennis M Guest

    In article <hbde37$h1n$-september.org>,
    (Doug Miller) wrote:

    >In article <>,

    lid (Dennis M) wrote:
    >>Hi all, I just bought a Bible-searching site from a developer on eBay. It
    >>uses a mysql file to search the entire Bible, and I have that up and
    >>running fine. However, one of its features allows you to "mail a chapter of
    >>the Bible to a friend" and on my site when you go to a particular Bible
    >>chapter and try to mail it, the chapter isn't inside the value="" tag on
    >>the form,

    >
    >The problem has nothing at all to do with HTML -- it's in the script you're
    >using to generate that page.
    >
    >> however it is in that tag when you go to the original developer's
    >>Bible site and try to mail a chapter from there. I was wondering what's
    >>gone wrong here, I only had to do some simple modifications to the files
    >>due to the difference in the site names and hopefully it's a pretty easy
    >>fix.
    >>
    >>My site is Superbiblesite.info, and the original site is
    >>Ebiblesearcher.com. You can try to email yourself a chapter from both of
    >>those sites and do a view source to see what I'm talking about.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any help!

    >
    >I hope you didn't pay very much for this site, considering the grammar errors
    >it contains...


    Well that was a big help.
     
    Dennis M, Oct 18, 2009
    #3
  4. Dennis M

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    lid (Dennis M) wrote:

    > In article <hbde37$h1n$-september.org>,
    > (Doug Miller) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,

    > lid (Dennis M) wrote:
    > >>Hi all, I just bought a Bible-searching site from a developer on eBay. It
    > >>uses a mysql file to search the entire Bible, and I have that up and
    > >>running fine. However, one of its features allows you to "mail a chapter of
    > >>the Bible to a friend" and on my site when you go to a particular Bible
    > >>chapter and try to mail it, the chapter isn't inside the value="" tag on
    > >>the form,

    > >
    > >The problem has nothing at all to do with HTML -- it's in the script you're
    > >using to generate that page.
    > >
    > >> however it is in that tag when you go to the original developer's
    > >>Bible site and try to mail a chapter from there. I was wondering what's
    > >>gone wrong here, I only had to do some simple modifications to the files
    > >>due to the difference in the site names and hopefully it's a pretty easy
    > >>fix.
    > >>
    > >>My site is Superbiblesite.info, and the original site is
    > >>Ebiblesearcher.com. You can try to email yourself a chapter from both of
    > >>those sites and do a view source to see what I'm talking about.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks in advance for any help!

    > >
    > >I hope you didn't pay very much for this site, considering the grammar
    > >errors
    > >it contains...

    >
    > Well that was a big help.


    It was a Sunday example of non-Christian charity. Perhaps an angry
    atheist? <g>

    Look at your

    <form name="form1" method="post" action="biblemail2.php">

    and now see what is on your server to handle this. Perhaps go to a php
    usenet group for more advice.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Oct 18, 2009
    #4
  5. Dennis M

    Peter Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > Hi all, I just bought a Bible-searching site from a developer on eBay. It
    > uses a mysql file to search the entire Bible, and I have that up and
    > running fine. However, one of its features allows you to "mail a chapter of
    > the Bible to a friend" and on my site when you go to a particular Bible
    > chapter and try to mail it, the chapter isn't inside the value="" tag on
    > the form, however it is in that tag when you go to the original developer's
    > Bible site and try to mail a chapter from there. I was wondering what's
    > gone wrong here, I only had to do some simple modifications to the files
    > due to the difference in the site names and hopefully it's a pretty easy
    > fix.
    >
    > My site is Superbiblesite.info, and the original site is
    > Ebiblesearcher.com. You can try to email yourself a chapter from both of
    > those sites and do a view source to see what I'm talking about.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >

    As Doug and dorayme have stated, this is not an html problem, but a php
    and mysql one. Php being the server-side code that is used to generate
    the web page. What data it requires to generate the web page will be
    stored in the mysql database. What you are going to have to do is look
    at the bible.php script to see how that accesses the database in order
    to generate the html page and display the chapter. That should give you
    a starting point of where to look in the database and how to go about
    editing your biblemail.php to add the same info to the value tag of your
    mail form.

    However, any further discussion of this problem should be taken to
    either a php or sql group.

    --
    Pete Ives
    Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email
     
    Peter, Oct 18, 2009
    #5
  6. Dennis M

    Dennis M Guest

    In article <>, Peter
    <> wrote:

    >As Doug and dorayme have stated, this is not an html problem, but a php
    >and mysql one. Php being the server-side code that is used to generate
    >the web page. What data it requires to generate the web page will be
    >stored in the mysql database. What you are going to have to do is look
    >at the bible.php script to see how that accesses the database in order
    >to generate the html page and display the chapter. That should give you
    >a starting point of where to look in the database and how to go about
    >editing your biblemail.php to add the same info to the value tag of your
    >mail form.
    >
    >However, any further discussion of this problem should be taken to
    >either a php or sql group.


    Good advice, thank you.
     
    Dennis M, Oct 18, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark Rodseth

    .NET emailing problem

    Mark Rodseth, Apr 21, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    410
  2. John

    Emailing form

    John, Oct 6, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    389
    David P. Donahue
    Oct 6, 2004
  3. barlin
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    491
    Dave Kelly
    Aug 4, 2007
  4. Carlos

    emailing form

    Carlos, Oct 19, 2007, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    343
    Carlos
    Oct 19, 2007
  5. Rob

    Emailing Form Results in HTML

    Rob, Jul 10, 2007, in forum: ASP General
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    177
    Daniel Crichton
    Jul 11, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page