"hello world server/client"

Hughzers

Im new to "Visual Studio" and I recently got a free copy of VS 2010.
Currently im interested in making a client and a server that sends the
string "hello world" from one program to another. It involves linking
libs.

Where I am at the moment:
I cant even compile "hello world" in Visual Studio.
:(

Noob

Hughzers said:
Im new to "Visual Studio" and I recently got a free copy of VS 2010.
Currently im interested in making a client and a server that sends the
string "hello world" from one program to another. It involves linking
libs.

Where I am at the moment:
I cant even compile "hello world" in Visual Studio.

You might get some help in comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

Tom St Denis

Im new to "Visual Studio" and I recently got a free copy of VS 2010.
Currently im interested in making a client and a server that sends the
string "hello world" from one program to another. It involves linking
libs.

Where I am at the moment:
I cant even compile "hello world" in Visual Studio.
:(

In all honesty, if your goal is to become a software developer, learn
to use the compiler from the command line, then with a makefile to do
proper builds before trying to learn Visual Studio.

What you'll learn from using the tools yourself will be infinitely
applicable to any software developers life, whereas what you learn in
visual studio is only useful in [that incarnation] of visual studio...

Tom

Kenny McCormack

Im new to "Visual Studio" and I recently got a free copy of VS 2010.
Currently im interested in making a client and a server that sends the
string "hello world" from one program to another. It involves linking
libs.

Where I am at the moment:
I cant even compile "hello world" in Visual Studio.
:(

In all honesty, if your goal is to become a software developer, learn
to use the compiler from the command line, then with a makefile to do
proper builds before trying to learn Visual Studio.

What you'll learn from using the tools yourself will be infinitely
applicable to any software developers life, whereas what you learn in
visual studio is only useful in [that incarnation] of visual studio...

Many companies today explicitly forbid the use of the command line,
because they *want* us all to become mouse clickers. The idea is that
most people employed in software today do not have the mental ability to
handle to command line, so if *you* use the command line, your stuff
won't be maintainable by the masses.

Tom St Denis

In all honesty, if your goal is to become a software developer, learn
to use the compiler from the command line, then with a makefile to do
proper builds before trying to learn Visual Studio.
What you'll learn from using the tools yourself will be infinitely
applicable to any software developers life, whereas what you learn in
visual studio is only useful in [that incarnation] of visual studio...

Many companies today explicitly forbid the use of the command line,
because they *want* us all to become mouse clickers.  The idea is that
most people employed in software today do not have the mental ability to
handle to command line, so if *you* use the command line, your stuff
won't be maintainable by the masses.

Presumably, and I'm just spit balling here... but you ought to learn
how to develop software BEFORE you're gainfully employed as a
developer.

If you end up in a shop using XYZ, then use XYZ. But that doesn't
mean you can't do whatever you want beforehand...

Tom

Nick Keighley

[/QUOTE]

it does? sounds like some sort of IPC stuff to me.

I found the help quite helpful. Try an MS newsgroup.

I really don't see why. I'm quite happy with VS on Windows.

What you'll learn from using the tools yourself will be infinitely
applicable to any software developers life, whereas what you learn in
visual studio is only useful in [that incarnation] of visual studio...

visual studio doesn't change that much

wow. Never heard of that. Really quite scarey.

on the other hand if the project has chosen to use VS (or whatever)
having one developer going off doing his own things is an unnecessary
pain.

Presumably, and I'm just spit balling here... but you ought to learn
how to develop software BEFORE you're gainfully employed as a
developer.

isn't there a bit of a chicken and egg problem there? Didn't there
used to be this thing called "training"?

Nick Keighley

In all honesty, if your goal is to become a software developer, learn
to use the compiler from the command line, then with a makefile to do
proper builds before trying to learn Visual Studio.
What you'll learn from using the tools yourself will be infinitely
applicable to any software developers life, whereas what you learn in
visual studio is only useful in [that incarnation] of visual studio...

Many companies today explicitly forbid the use of the command line,
because they *want* us all to become mouse clickers.  The idea is that
most people employed in software today do not have the mental ability to
handle to command line, so if *you* use the command line, your stuff
won't be maintainable by the masses

on a mature development a build should just be a click or a single CLI
command. Only a few people need to be intimately familiar with the
build system.