Help! 301 redirect not working.

JB

Ok, I have an old web page where I want the entire page to redirect to a new
one.

The old one is (some content edited)

http://intergate.ca/personal/name/index.htm

The new web page is:

http://www.newpage.com

I have made an .htaccess file using notepad, making sure it's not saved as a
..txt file.

Notepad has wordwrap off.

In the file I have:

redirect 301 / http://www.newpage.com

I have uploaded it to the root directory of the old site using CuteFTP in
ascii transfer mode.

Now when I access http://intergate.ca/personal/name/index.htm

It wants to go here:

http://www.newpage.compersonal/name/index.htm

That is the exact URL that I get above, except for "newpage" and "name" have
been changed.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

JB

Harlan Messinger

JB said:
[...]

JB wrote:
[top-posting corrected]
> Thanks, but now I get this:
>
> http://www.newpage.com/personal/name/
>
> Which is pretty much what I figured would happen after adding the "/" :)
>
> I can't get rid of that stupid directory name from my old site, being joined
> with the new.

Sorry, I misunderstood. OK, you want to replace

http://intergate.ca/persona/name/index.htm

with

http://www.newpage.com/index.htm

which amounts to changing

/persona/name/

http://www.newpage.com/

So

redirect 301 /persona/name/ http://www.newpage.com/

JB

That worked, thanks!

It works if I type in http://intergate.ca/personal/name

Can I make it so it will also work when typing in:

http://intergate.ca/personal/name/index.htm

If I type in the later, I get:

http://www.newpage.com/index.htmlindex.htm

So it's adding the index.htm.

If it's too complicating, I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks again,

JB

JB wrote:
[top-posting corrected]
as

Thanks, but now I get this:

http://www.newpage.com/personal/name/

Which is pretty much what I figured would happen after adding the "/" :)

I can't get rid of that stupid directory name from my old site, being joined
with the new.

Sorry, I misunderstood. OK, you want to replace

http://intergate.ca/persona/name/index.htm

with

http://www.newpage.com/index.htm

which amounts to changing

/persona/name/

http://www.newpage.com/

So

redirect 301 /persona/name/ http://www.newpage.com/

JB

Never mind, I got it to work. I had http://www.newpage.com/index.html since
the index file was on newpage was .html. I just changed it to .htm and
changed the.htaccess file back to http://www.newpage.com/

Now I just have one last question for you or anyone else...I'm hoping my new
site will gradually spider on Yahoo since the old was there. Should I delete
all the old files from my old site, or wait a bit?

Many thanks again,

JB

That worked, thanks!

It works if I type in http://intergate.ca/personal/name

Can I make it so it will also work when typing in:

http://intergate.ca/personal/name/index.htm

If I type in the later, I get:

http://www.newpage.com/index.htmlindex.htm

So it's adding the index.htm.

If it's too complicating, I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks again,

JB

JB wrote:
[top-posting corrected]
JB wrote:
[...]

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

JB said:
Never mind, I got it to work. I had
http://www.newpage.com/index.html since the index file was on newpage
was .html. I just changed it to .htm and changed the.htaccess file
back to http://www.newpage.com/

Now I just have one last question for you or anyone else...I'm hoping
my new site will gradually spider on Yahoo since the old was there.
Should I delete all the old files from my old site, or wait a bit?

Now that you're redirecting the site, you can safely delete all files
except from the .htaccess file from your old website location. All URLs
at the old location will be redirected, regardless of whether the files
there exist or not, and neither of the old files will be read. Spiders
will also be redirected to the new site.