HELP! Again. I seem to have some padding I can't get rid of and a PHP problem.

Mike Barnard

Mike said:
Here's one from another script I sometimes use:
[snip]
<pants> got a pointer to it please? I have now looked at a few and
they're all old, table designed non workers.

Sure - but it doesn't claim to be a non-spam thing. That is, I don't
think it can be used to send spam elsewhere, but they can still use it
to spam you :)

It's not my own script, just in case you were thinking that - I found
it online, and it was the one that looked best for my purposes.

Instruction is here:
http://www.jemjabella.co.uk/stuff/mail_form.php
and on that page is a link to a free download too:
http://www.jemjabella.co.uk/stuff/mail_form.txt

Since I'm no expert myself though, I think it would be good if the
more savvy PHP scripters in the group could give it a quick look to
check for obvious problems.

I have been talking to Xcalibre, my hosting supplier, and unofficially
they reccomended I Google for NMS Formmail.

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/faq_nms.html

It's a CGI script in Perl aparently, but used a lot. My only doubt is
the date. The last update was 4 years ago.

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

Still, I'll look at it tomorrow. Today I must finish off editing the
text for one of the pages.

Thanks to all.

Ben C

Well, I learned my new thing for today. :)

Many people first learn about how collation depends on locale when they
type:

$ rm [A-Z]*

to delete all the nasty uppercase files while leaving the nice lowercase
ones they've just spent hours editing alone.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike said:
I have been talking to Xcalibre, my hosting supplier, and unofficially
they reccomended I Google for NMS Formmail.

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/faq_nms.html

Ewww. (My turn.) I would much rather see you use that short and
concise PHP script than the Formmail script.

Really.

I wrote my own 'contact us' form years ago, after trying to read and
grok the Matt's and the NMS scripts. As I recall they are about 28KB
each? My script is quite a bit like the jemjabella script. A mere
hundred lines...

Chris F.A. Johnson

Els said:
Which special chars are between Z and a then? Noob here - I just thought
it would either go AaBbCc.. or ABC...XYZabc...xyz ?

There are six characters between 'Z' and 'a': [\]^_`

Those are not included in the collating sequence when the locale
uses case-insensitive matching:

$ pr1 A b c d e f G h '^' '[' ']' '\' | LC_COLLATE= grep '[A-z]'
^
[
]
\
$ pr1 A b f G h '^' '[' ']' '\' | LC_COLLATE=en_us grep '[A-z]'

Neredbojias

You should have captured IP addresses - then compare them to IP
addresses in the group's posts ;-)

No no no! I won't do that; I consider it an invasion of privacy. Nor will
I do it for a paying client, either. No reading/capturing of IP addresses.

(Well, if Bill Gates came to me and said, "I'll give you a coupla bil
to...", I could have a change of heart.)

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
(Well, if Bill Gates came to me and said, "I'll give you a coupla bil
to...", I could have a change of heart.)

In other words you will sell your soul for 10 pieces of 1 billion dollar
blocks of silver. Shame on you!

Neredbojias

In other words you will sell your soul for 10 pieces of 1 billion dollar
blocks of silver. Shame on you!

Not my soul, just my integrity. I can always get that back.

Toby A Inkster

Michael said:
2) The ereg_* functions are dead and will be removed in PHP6. The preg_*
(PCRE) functions are the way to go and much more powerful and efficient.

True, but ereg will still be around as an optional extension, and I'd
wager that most shared hosts will have it installed for fear of breaking
scripts if they don't.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 1 day, 20:42.]

Best... News... Story... Ever!
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/23/hypnotist/