HELP: Displaying a directory as HTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by AE, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. AE

    AE Guest

    Hi there.

    I would like to organize some directories on my hard disk, I have to
    use generic names that not always give me an idea of what the file
    contains. What I would like to do is to have an index to display the
    contents of each file.

    the first option we thought was to use a simple .txt file since it's
    easy to open and to edit.

    Then someone suggested to use an html file in order to display both
    name of the file and its description without having to open an extra
    file. The problem about this is that we want to keep it simple when
    updating the index.

    What would you recommend us to use?
    I think the HTML idea is a good one if we get to update the
    descriptions easily.

    what do we need for this?
    - an HTML file?
    - an INI file?
    - some javascript?

    the description should be updatable by just by clicking and typing, I
    dont want people to deal with HTML code...

    any ideas on how to solve this?

    AE, Feb 2, 2006

  2. AE wrote:
    > I would like to organize some directories on my hard disk, I have to
    > use generic names that not always give me an idea of what the file
    > contains. What I would like to do is to have an index to display the
    > contents of each file.

    How are people going to view the directories? With a web browser? With a
    file manager? Will they be going through a web server? Accessing the file
    system directly? Using some other network protocol? Are you using Linux?
    BSD? Mac? Windows? For both the server and the clients?

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Feb 2, 2006

  3. AE

    AE Guest

    File access will be thru window XP's explorer. No web server will be
    involved. This problem is for a single computer, but since it has many
    users they all need to know what's going on on each directory.

    It will be way easier to explain this with images....it's a shame you
    can't attach anything in here.

    AE, Feb 2, 2006
  4. AE wrote:

    Are you replaying to something? http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

    > File access will be thru window XP's explorer. No web server will be
    > involved. This problem is for a single computer, but since it has many
    > users they all need to know what's going on on each directory.

    I seem to recall something about being able to fiddle around with HTML
    templates for the standard directory view when IE 4 first came out. I
    haven't heard anything about that in years though. I wouldn't be surprised
    if it was ripped out for Windows 2000.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Feb 2, 2006