Help:How to do the version control of ASP.Net application?

Hongbo

Hi,

I have a web site built in ASP.Net 1.1 running on production server. It's the version 1.0.
Now I need to build the version 2.0 for this web site. The version 2.0 will be built based
on the code of version 1.0.

Since it take some time to have the version 2.0 ready for production, the code of version 1.0
needs to be kept somewhere for possible bug fix. At this point, the only feasible idea I have is:
1) create a new project for version 2.0 on machine A with same project name and copy code of
version 1.0 over.
2) keep the code of version 1.0 on machine B.
3) when there are bugs found on version 1.0 on production server, fix the bug in the code on
machine B and post new code to production server, then make the same change in the
code on machine A so that the version 2.0 will contain these bug fixes.

The reason I need to keep the code of version 1.0 on another machine is that new code in
version 2.0 may be not finished and untested when bug occurs on production server. I cannot
fix the bug on machine A and post the new DLL containing unfinished and untested code to
production server.

Even this idea will work, but I don't like it since I have to do the same job on both machines.

I use Visual Studio 2003 and C# for this web site.

Would you please tell me are there better ways I can do this?

Thank you

hb

JustinBlat

Hongbo,
for this kind of task, you're going to need a source control
application. Most of these apps support versioning control, along with
code diff and merge capabilities. Some examples are Sourcegear Vault,
Subversion (free) , or if you're willing to go to VS.NET 2005, Team
System.

Happy Coding!

Hongbo

Thank you!