HELP:I should in which newsgroup ??

chunhui_true

I ask some ASCII UTF8 questiones in this group.
someone say this group doesn't about that topic.But in this group I
get more reply then other groups!Or person in this group are more
friendly?:)
I use c\c++ in Linux.My experience is very poor.So I fall across lot
of problems. Could someone tell me I should in which newsgroup to ask
my question?Very thanks!!

Jack Klein

I ask some ASCII UTF8 questiones in this group.
someone say this group doesn't about that topic.But in this group I
get more reply then other groups!Or person in this group are more
friendly?:)

Those people are correct, C does not define any character sets. It
depends greatly on the platform.
I use c\c++ in Linux.My experience is very poor.So I fall across lot
of problems. Could someone tell me I should in which newsgroup to ask
my question?Very thanks!!

Since your question is Linux specific, the very best place to ask for
help is I know for a fact that
there are quite a few friendly people, very experienced with all kinds
of Linux programming issues, there.

Chris Williams

chunhui_true said:
I ask some ASCII UTF8 questiones in this group.
someone say this group doesn't about that topic.But in this group I
get more reply then other groups!Or person in this group are more
friendly?:)
I use c\c++ in Linux.My experience is very poor.So I fall across lot
of problems. Could someone tell me I should in which newsgroup to ask
my question?Very thanks!!

comp.programming is a good general site for any problem which is still
fairly busy and has people answering questions who know what they are
talking about. comp.lang.c is more about the C language _itself_ than
about things _written_ in C. Otherwise there would just be too many
things that could appear here for it to be as useful for C.

However, I still would recommend that you research text encoding and
create your own conversion function. Text encoding is at heart just a
way of saying that anything between 0 and 127 will be these characters,
128 to 255 these, 256 to 3456 these other ones, and so on. The main
issue is that some encodings have a set number of bytes for every
character while others will expand--for instance if the byte is between
0-127 then it is a one byte character, while as if it is 128 or above
it will be a two byte character, so you need to read in the next byte
as well for the character or your parser will get thrown off.

I don't particularly know what the specifics of UTF-8 are, but I
suspect that if you did a bit of research on the internet and tried
looking at the individual bytes of your strings you would be able to
determine why your parser is breaking. Thinking that it isn't a problem
you can solve by yourself is probably the biggest issue that needs to
be solved.

Apologies,
Chris

Martien Verbruggen

I use c\c++ in Linux.My experience is very poor.So I fall across lot
of problems. Could someone tell me I should in which newsgroup to ask
my question?Very thanks!!

You could try alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++

I don't know what the quality of help on that group is.

Martien