Help on a good C Decompiler

Roberto Rasto

I'm looking for a C Decompiler.
I don't looking for a perfect C decompiler, beacuse I only need to
understand the logic of the program do decompile, but the program is not so
little.
I tried RecStudio that normally works fine, but it hang on the
decompilation.

Can someone help me to find a good decompiler?

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

David T. Ashley

Roberto Rasto said:
I'm looking for a C Decompiler.
I don't looking for a perfect C decompiler, beacuse I only need to
understand the logic of the program do decompile, but the program is not
so little.
I tried RecStudio that normally works fine, but it hang on the
decompilation.

Can someone help me to find a good decompiler?

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

This and the things it links to may be of some interest to you.

http://www.backerstreet.com/rec/rec.htm

It is good that you've lowered your standards and don't want a "perfect"
decompiler; because theoretically such a thing can't exist. Each source
program has a unique machine-language representation under a certain
compiler, but the reverse isn't true.

I've never tried such a tool, but it should be possible to get function
boundaries (although perhaps not the names), calling hierarchy, parameter
numbers and types, local variables, loops and control flow, and a few other
things.

saf

Roberto said:
I'm looking for a C Decompiler.
I don't looking for a perfect C decompiler, beacuse I only need to
understand the logic of the program do decompile, but the program is not so
little.
I tried RecStudio that normally works fine, but it hang on the
decompilation.

Can someone help me to find a good decompiler?

gdb of GNU.

Flash Gordon

saf wrote, On 08/06/07 12:55:
gdb of GNU.

Why cross-post to a C++ group (comp.lang.c++) when it has nothing to do
with C++? I've removed it from this post.

Also gdb is NOT a decompiler it is a debugger. To show the source it
reads the source file as well as debugging information.

As to the OPs question, can the OP recreate a cow from a pile of burgers?

Decompiling cannot give you the original source and often it also cannot
give you anything useful, especially if (as is usually the case) the
code was passed through an optimiser.

In any case, tools are not topical on comp.lang.c, we only discus the
language itself, so I'm setting follow-ups to exclude it.