Help on table align on left of page vs left hanging indent

Discussion in 'XML' started by =?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Michaud?=, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. Hello guys,

    I was wondering if anybody here had implemented a solution where
    Tables are aligned according to what the hanging indent tells us when
    there is a potential for the table overflowing in the right margin or
    out of the page.

    I did some research a while back and came to the conclusion at that
    time that it wasn't possible to have both (either we align on the
    hanging indent and if there is a potential for a table to be 6.75
    inches wide then we can have a page overflow or we align on the left
    content margin and if the case occurs where we have 6.75 inch tables,
    we're safely covered but table alignment is not entierly intuitive
    from a visual standpoint).

    The best would be to sum up the hanging indent values for me to
    compare against the total width of the table.

    Basically, knowing that a page can contain a table that's 6.75 inches
    wide, I would do:

    If [6.75 - sum(hierarchical hanging indents) > sum(table column
    widths)]
    {
    Align on left of current hanging indent
    }
    else
    {
    Align on left of page to prevent overflow
    }

    The problem is that, from what I understand, the hanging indents are
    dynamically calculated at runtime, which means I can't grab the values
    so that I can send them downwards until a table element is reached
    which means I can't implement the above logic which means I'm stuck
    having to align on the left of the page to prevent potential table/
    page overflows.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards
    Jeff Michaud

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Michaud?=, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Jean-Fran├žois Michaud wrote:
    > I was wondering if anybody here had implemented a solution where
    > Tables are aligned according to what the hanging indent tells us when
    > there is a potential for the table overflowing in the right margin or
    > out of the page.

    In what markup language? If HTML, this is the wrong list. If some other
    markup, you need to be explicit about which, since XML is the base
    syntax for many.

    Joseph Kesselman, Jul 10, 2007

  3. On Jul 10, 7:44 am, Joseph Kesselman <>
    wrote:
    > Jean-Fran├žois Michaud wrote:
    > > I was wondering if anybody here had implemented a solution where
    > > Tables are aligned according to what the hanging indent tells us when
    > > there is a potential for the table overflowing in the right margin or
    > > out of the page.

    > In what markup language? If HTML, this is the wrong list. If some other
    > markup, you need to be explicit about which, since XML is the base
    > syntax for many.
    >
    > --
    > Joe Kesselman / Beware the fury of a patient man. -- John Dryden

    Thanks for answering, but I ended up figuring it out on my own :). And
    to clarify further, I'm referencing XML/XSLT/XSL:FO.

    I had to stop using relative referencing (start-indent and end-indent
    on body-start() and label-end()) to instead use an absolute frame of
    reference (left side of page) which I use to cascade down cumulative
    hierarchical nested indents throught the templates. This allows me to
    have full control over the indent and to know what the degree of the
    indent is (as opposed to not being able to calculate anything if I use
    body-start() and label-end() since those values are generated at
    runtime as opposed to compile time).

    Regards
    Jean-Francois Michaud

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Michaud?=, Jul 16, 2007