Help please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Brian Tozer, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer Guest

    I have a zip Help file which I downloaded.
    I have unzipped it and there is an index.htm file plus several other .htm
    files.
    The index.htm file has internal hyperlinks to locations of the other .htm
    files.
    So far so good.
    However these links are inoperative.
    The details of a typical one are:-

    However the status bar at the page bottom displays:-
    file:///D:/ followed by the path to the .htm file.

    It seems to be the file:/// that is the problem and I am unable to see why
    it is there.
    There is a chap1.htm file in the same folder.
    I have copied them all to another location with no change in the problem.

    Help please.
    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Dec 13, 2003

  2. In article <breba2$rrc$>, says...
    > I have a zip Help file which I downloaded.
    > I have unzipped it and there is an index.htm file plus several other .htm
    > files.
    > The index.htm file has internal hyperlinks to locations of the other .htm
    > files.
    > So far so good.
    > However these links are inoperative.
    > The details of a typical one are:-

    > However the status bar at the page bottom displays:-
    > file:///D:/ followed by the path to the .htm file.
    >
    > It seems to be the file:/// that is the problem and I am unable to see why
    > it is there.
    > There is a chap1.htm file in the same folder.
    > I have copied them all to another location with no change in the problem.

    What did you download? From?

    Nice use of the subject line, BTW.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Brian Tozer

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:breba2$rrc$>
    Brian Tozer said:

    looks like the author of the page was thinking target="_top"

    > However the status bar at the page bottom displays:-
    > file:///D:/ followed by the path to the .htm file.

    thats normal

    > It seems to be the file:/// that is the problem and I am unable to see why
    > it is there.

    thats the path to the file. its normal.

    > There is a chap1.htm file in the same folder.

    good

    > I have copied them all to another location with no change in the problem.

    put the files back in the same folder. i cant reproduce the problem with
    any browser except if the linked file is missing in which case IE
    displays a blank page (other browsers message 404)

    --
    brucie
    13/December/2003 06:44:49 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > Brian Tozer said:

    > looks like the author of the page was thinking target="_top"
    >
    >> However the status bar at the page bottom displays:-
    >> file:///D:/ followed by the path to the .htm file.

    > thats normal
    >
    >> It seems to be the file:/// that is the problem and I am unable to
    >> see why it is there.

    > thats the path to the file. its normal.
    >
    >> There is a chap1.htm file in the same folder.

    > good
    >
    >> I have copied them all to another location with no change in the
    >> problem.

    > put the files back in the same folder. i cant reproduce the problem
    > with any browser except if the linked file is missing in which case IE
    > displays a blank page (other browsers message 404)

    Thanks so much Brucie.
    With your revelation that the prefix file:/// was normal I investigated
    further.
    The files concerned were produced by the installation of a program and were
    nominally a local version of an online FAQ with all the absolute addresses
    changed to relative ones. Correctly as far as I can tell.
    I seem to have got to the bottom of the problem but find the result most
    surprising.
    All the links now work correctly, whereas previously when any were selected
    absolutely nothing happened.
    The solution was to remove the comment from the second line of the source.
    The original source was:-

    <!-- saved from
    url=(0047)http://www.acclaimsoftware.com/manual/index.htm -->

    Copied from the working version:-

    Although the problem has been solved, with your help, I would be very
    interested in any explanation, and comment as to whether this is just an OE6
    bug.

    Thanks again
    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Dec 13, 2003