Help please

Brian Tozer

I have a zip Help file which I downloaded.
I have unzipped it and there is an index.htm file plus several other .htm
files.
The index.htm file has internal hyperlinks to locations of the other .htm
files.
So far so good.
However these links are inoperative.
The details of a typical one are:-

However the status bar at the page bottom displays:-
file:///D:/ followed by the path to the .htm file.

It seems to be the file:/// that is the problem and I am unable to see why
it is there.
There is a chap1.htm file in the same folder.
I have copied them all to another location with no change in the problem.

Help please.
Brian Tozer

Hywel Jenkins

I have a zip Help file which I downloaded.
I have unzipped it and there is an index.htm file plus several other .htm
files.
The index.htm file has internal hyperlinks to locations of the other .htm
files.
So far so good.
However these links are inoperative.
The details of a typical one are:-

However the status bar at the page bottom displays:-
file:///D:/ followed by the path to the .htm file.

It seems to be the file:/// that is the problem and I am unable to see why
it is there.
There is a chap1.htm file in the same folder.
I have copied them all to another location with no change in the problem.

What did you download? From?

Nice use of the subject line, BTW.

brucie

looks like the author of the page was thinking target="_top"
However the status bar at the page bottom displays:-
file:///D:/ followed by the path to the .htm file.

thats normal
It seems to be the file:/// that is the problem and I am unable to see why
it is there.

thats the path to the file. its normal.
There is a chap1.htm file in the same folder.
good

I have copied them all to another location with no change in the problem.

put the files back in the same folder. i cant reproduce the problem with
any browser except if the linked file is missing in which case IE
displays a blank page (other browsers message 404)

Brian Tozer

brucie said:
Brian Tozer said:

looks like the author of the page was thinking target="_top"

thats normal

thats the path to the file. its normal.

put the files back in the same folder. i cant reproduce the problem
with any browser except if the linked file is missing in which case IE
displays a blank page (other browsers message 404)

Thanks so much Brucie.
With your revelation that the prefix file:/// was normal I investigated
further.
The files concerned were produced by the installation of a program and were
nominally a local version of an online FAQ with all the absolute addresses
changed to relative ones. Correctly as far as I can tell.
I seem to have got to the bottom of the problem but find the result most
surprising.
All the links now work correctly, whereas previously when any were selected
absolutely nothing happened.
The solution was to remove the comment from the second line of the source.
The original source was:-

<!-- saved from
url=(0047)http://www.acclaimsoftware.com/manual/index.htm -->

Copied from the working version:-

Although the problem has been solved, with your help, I would be very
interested in any explanation, and comment as to whether this is just an OE6
bug.

Thanks again
Brian Tozer