HELP! - Session Start, Session End

Dan Colgan

Hi, I am thoroughly fed up. I have been trying for a few weeks to get
an understanding of when events for session and application fire and why
they don't for me.

I am understanding the Application_End situation and that it is not
necessarily going to fire because of the multiple users that come and
go... however!!!!!!

From all I've read the Session event should fire after the timeout for
that particular user's session has expired (20 min default). I cannot
ever get this event to occur. I have an example of writing to a log
file when the session starts and it does this consistently. However it
is also supposed to write an event when the session ends (I've set mine
to timeout at 5 minutes). It never writes this event out.

What the he** am I doing wrong.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Hi, I am thoroughly fed up. I have been trying for a few weeks to get
an understanding of when events for session and application fire and why
they don't for me.

I am understanding the Application_End situation and that it is not
necessarily going to fire because of the multiple users that come and
go... however!!!!!!

From all I've read the Session event should fire after the timeout for
that particular user's session has expired (20 min default). I cannot
ever get this event to occur. I have an example of writing to a log
file when the session starts and it does this consistently. However it
is also supposed to write an event when the session ends (I've set mine
to timeout at 5 minutes). It never writes this event out.

What the he** am I doing wrong.

What session management method are you using? I believe Session_End only
fires for inproc - it certainly doesn't fire if you're using SQL Server...

Aidy

Also what are you doing in the event code? It could be your code is
throwing an error or you are accessing the Request object or something like
that.