Help...URL to Open Article in Frame Within Index Page

Bongolation

Please help me with this simple question for which I've found no answer in any of my texts:

I am writing a simple site that consists of an index page consisting of a header and a frame into which archived articles appear.

I cannot figure out how to write a URL link for export - say, to a Usenet message - that when activated will bring up a specific article within the frame _inside_ the index page.

I usually see links that bring up the article in a whole new frame to itself, with no index page.

Am I expressing this clearly? Please help with any suggestions you may have. I don't clearly see a way to do this with target functions in HTML and I can't remember seeing it actually done, but it's such an obvious goal, I assume there must be a way to do this.

Thanks for any guidance!

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
E-mail: bongo<AT>e-mail.ru - Change the <AT> to @ symbol to reply.
See COMPLETE headers for more info. Headers are good - view them.

-=-

Toby A Inkster

Bongolation said:
I cannot figure out how to write a URL link for export - say, to a
Usenet message - that when activated will bring up a specific article
within the frame _inside_ the index page.

Which server-side scripting languages do you have access to?

Whitecrest

Anonymous- said:
Please help me with this simple question for which I've found no answer in any of my texts:
I am writing a simple site that consists of an index page consisting of a header and a frame
into which archived articles appear.

uh-oh... frames...
I cannot figure out how to write a URL link for export - say, to a Usenet message -
that when activated will bring up a specific article within the frame _inside_ the index page.

Some javascript will do this, check for a parent, then do the
appropriate re-direction.

I don't know the site (You forgot a url) But ask yourself, "do you
really want to do this?" Why do you "need" an index page? Why not just
have the information on the same page as the index? Easy to do with any
server side scripting.

Bongolation

Whitecrest said:
uh-oh... frames...

Yeah, I know. 8-( Unfortunately, I don't know a simple way to
do what I want to do without them (see below).
Some javascript will do this, check for a parent, then do the
appropriate re-direction.

If so, I'm hoping there's boilerplate code I can just glean and
adapt for the task with a minimum of fiddling. If we are
understanding each other correctly, I believe that accomplishes
what I am trying to achieve.
I don't know the site (You forgot a url)

There is no site yet. If I can't do what I'm trying to there's
no point in wasting time to write the site.
But ask yourself, "do you really want to do this?" Why do you
"need" an index page?

The index page, which in this case is merely a header and blankspace
frame for layout format, gives the site - which is a collection of
articles - context and cohesion. Bringing up articles out of the
context of the site is not useful.
Why not just have the information on the same page as the index?

If I understand you correctly, that's what I'm attempting to
accomplish. By putting a frame in the index page with a list of
linked articles in the frame and having the selected articles open
within that frame accomplishes what I'm trying to do. This is a
very common site concept, as far as I can tell. My only real
problem is devising a way to have an exported URL to an article
link to the index page with the article in the frame, as you would
see if you were navigating the site from scratch, rather than have
it link to the bare article displayed alone and out of context of
the site. I see this problem in a lot of sites, but there must be a
work-around.
Easy to do with any server side scripting.

Well, I hope so, though I am not able to code this from scratch.

The site is to be done in a typographic minimalist style, which
relies on textual layout for design effect. I originally thought
that for ease of design and use, each article would be written in
a template that would include the header, thereby transparently
accomplishing my goal above and having each article a free-standing
page, thereby greatly simplifying the task and eliminating the
frames hokey-pokey and the exported URL agonies.

The only problem with this is that the header will be subject to
frequent revision and therefore _every_ page on the site that
contains it will have to be revised also, for continuity.

As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid that problem is to have
an index page with the header and a frame to contain the content.

I do hope that I've made myself clear in expressing what I am
intending; I'm quite exasperated as the server through which this
message is passing has decided to delete linefeeds. I'm trying
to insert hard LFs and the cat has stepped on the keyboard at least
thirty times in the course of this message. Any clarity I've
managed in explaining what I need has been gained at great effort!

Any help and solutions to my site problem are greatly appreciated!