Help with focus() after validation

Dan

This function validates a price field on my form. It fires with onchange.
If the validation fails, I want the focus to return to the same field so
that the user can correct it. The way it is working now, the focus moves
to whichever field is clicked upon exiting this field. The behavior is the
same in ie,ns and opera. This is probably simple, but I don't understand
why this doesn't work Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

function confirm_customer_unit_price(fieldname,fieldlabel,fieldindex)
{
// fieldname: the name of the element
// fieldlabel: text to be displayed in alert box
// fieldindex: row number of the element

// get the value in the field
var thevalue=document.form1[fieldname].value
// do the actual validation in another function. this works fine
var valid=isSignedFloat(thevalue)

if (valid)
// if the value is ok, write to an array where I do some more processing
later
{customerprice[fieldindex]=thevalue
return true;}
else
{
// value is not ok. show the alert.
alert(fieldlabel +' is not valid');
// write a zero to the array, because I cant use the value that was
submitted
customerprice[fieldindex]=0
// return the focust to the offending field
document.form1[fieldname].focus();
//I also tried this, but it doesn't work either
document.getElementById(fieldname).focus();
return true

kaeli said:
// return the focust to the offending field
document.form1[fieldname].focus();

document.form1.fieldname.focus();

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

in this function, fieldname is a variable. many different text fields use
this for validation. without the [] notation the script thinks I have a
field named 'fieldname' and I get the an error something like "fieldname is
null or not an object.

kaeli

And on the day Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:00:30 GMT,
(e-mail address removed) enlightened us with <Ogxnb.50056$Tr4.106035
@attbi_s03>...
This function validates a price field on my form. It fires with onchange.
If the validation fails, I want the focus to return to the same field so
that the user can correct it. The way it is working now, the focus moves
to whichever field is clicked upon exiting this field. The behavior is the
same in ie,ns and opera. This is probably simple, but I don't understand
why this doesn't work Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, and I showed you your error.

Change
document.form1[fieldname].focus();

document.form1.fieldname.focus();

~kaeli~
Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions
and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone and you
are God.