Help with form processing script

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Norliss, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Norliss

    Norliss Guest

    Hi all

    I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me here as I'm pulling
    my hair out on this one!

    I've done a contact page for a web site I'm doing and simply wanted to
    use a form processing script to be able to e-mail any submission from
    this. However, I cannot for the life of me get one to work.

    I've followed the instructions to the letter for Soupermail, novice.cgi
    and FormMail but I can't get any of them to work. No matter what I do,
    I keep receiving 500 Internal Server errors. My hosting company
    (Nethosted) has told me there is a FormMail clone script already in a
    cgi-sys folder which I can't access and the support guy told me he's
    not sure how to configure it!

    Can anyone recommend me a good proven form script with easy-peasy to
    use instructions (for use on Linux servers) before I end up in an
    asylum?!

    Thanks in advance.
    Norliss, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Norliss <> wrote:

    > I've done a contact page for a web site I'm doing and simply wanted to
    > use a form processing script to be able to e-mail any submission from
    > this. However, I cannot for the life of me get one to work.

    Fine, stop trying. Don't make spam a bigger problem. Announce your E-mail
    address if you want to be contacted. Period. Problem solved.

    (You may need to do set up some E-mail filtering to filter out spam, but that
    problem exists in any case, and you should not disturb people who wish to
    contact you by making your spam filtering problems their problem.)

    > I've followed the instructions to the letter for Soupermail, novice.cgi
    > and FormMail but I can't get any of them to work.

    You didn't read carefully, or you didn't read the right docs, or you are
    trying to set up a CGI script without knowing the basics of it. Start with a
    tutorial on it _when_ you later on perhaps have some _real_ use for
    scripting.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Norliss

    Tha RagMan Guest

    On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 10:41:02 +0000, Norliss <>
    wrote:
    >I've done a contact page for a web site I'm doing and simply wanted to
    >use a form processing script to be able to e-mail any submission from
    >this. However, I cannot for the life of me get one to work.

    The two most common problems I find with folks trying to set up their
    FormMail is they fail to ftp their *.cgi or *.pl script in ASCII text
    format (Binary won't work) and/or they fail to set the proper
    permissions for their scripts. Either or both of these will kill the
    deal.
    Tha RagMan
    Tha RagMan, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Norliss

    mbstevens Guest

    Tha RagMan wrote:

    > The two most common problems I find with folks trying to set up their
    > FormMail is they fail to ftp their *.cgi or *.pl script in ASCII text
    > format (Binary won't work) and/or they fail to set the proper
    > permissions for their scripts. Either or both of these will kill the
    > deal.

    The other thing I often see is that the location of perl on their own
    machine is different than the one on the server. They forget to change
    the shebang line, and the script won't work.
    mbstevens, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Norliss

    Chris Beall Guest

    Norliss wrote:

    > Hi all

    (snip)
    > I've followed the instructions to the letter for Soupermail, novice.cgi
    > and FormMail but I can't get any of them to work. No matter what I do, I
    > keep receiving 500 Internal Server errors.

    (snip)

    Norliss,

    Rather than starting with something complex, you need to establish that
    you have gone through the correct steps to invoke and run a Perl program
    from your server. Try uploading the following (untested... and note
    that the DOCTYPE must appear on a single line) code as hello.pl, then
    try to link to it. If you still get a server 500 error, there's
    something basic about the upload or invocation of Perl that you need to
    look at. Once that is fixed, you can move on to the more interesting
    problems associated with actually getting the server to send out mail.

    Chris Beall

    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
    print <<'ENDPART1';
    <head>

    <title>Perl test page</title>

    </head>

    <h1>Perl test page</h1>
    within a web browser.&nbsp;
    If this message appears, the test was successful.

    ENDPART1
    exit ;
    Chris Beall, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Norliss

    Norliss Guest

    On 2005-12-04 10:41:02 +0000, Norliss <> said:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me here as I'm pulling
    > my hair out on this one!

    Thanks for all your input guys.

    In the end it was a very helpful bloke at Nethosted that helped me
    solve the problem. I had been CHModding the scripts before uploading
    them, not when they were on the server. Laughable I'm sure to those of
    you with experience....

    All's well that end's well.

    Thanks
    Norliss, Dec 4, 2005