Help With IDEA & J2EE

Godofredo

Hi, folks!
Please forgive any misspelling, or grammar mistakes, English is not my
mother tongue.

I'm somehow a rookie in Java; I started using Java last February. When
the time came, I chose JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Everything was
fine, till I went to develop J2EE applications. Then, I have a few
questions:
1. Has IDEA any way to mimic what NetBeans does, where you can develop
the entire J2EE application and deploy it, and so on, with a few
clicks?
2. Where can I get a DETAILED step by step tutorial in how to develop
J2EE apps using IDEA? I mean DETAILED because IDEA help is "step by
step", but nothing works exactly as they say.

As to now, I'm using IDEA 6.0, SDK 6, J2EE SDK 4 & 5 (Sun Application
Server 8.1 & 9.1), and I have to code in Idea and deploy the
application "outside".

Please, be kind and lend a hand here. I'm tired of my fellows
programmers mocking at my decision of IDEA and making wisecracks about
switching to NetBeans.

Best wishes

Alex G.

Daniel Dyer

Hi, folks!
Please forgive any misspelling, or grammar mistakes, English is not my
mother tongue.

I'm somehow a rookie in Java; I started using Java last February. When
the time came, I chose JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Everything was
fine, till I went to develop J2EE applications. Then, I have a few
questions:
1. Has IDEA any way to mimic what NetBeans does, where you can develop
the entire J2EE application and deploy it, and so on, with a few
clicks?

I believe so, but it's probably better to use Ant for this stuff,
especially if other people on your team are using NetBeans (i.e. make them
use Ant too), otherwise you'll never have identical set-ups.

You have to set up your IDEA modules as the right types, i.e. "Web
Module", "EJB Module" and "JavaEE Application Module" instead of having
them all as the default "Java Module".
2. Where can I get a DETAILED step by step tutorial in how to develop
J2EE apps using IDEA? I mean DETAILED because IDEA help is "step by
step", but nothing works exactly as they say.

I don't know, did you try JetBrains' site?
As to now, I'm using IDEA 6.0, SDK 6, J2EE SDK 4 & 5 (Sun Application
Server 8.1 & 9.1), and I have to code in Idea and deploy the
application "outside".

Please, be kind and lend a hand here. I'm tired of my fellows
programmers mocking at my decision of IDEA and making wisecracks about
switching to NetBeans.

IDEA has advantages over NetBeans. However, Sun uses NetBeans in all of
its examples so you may find more information about configuring it than
IDEA.

Dan.