Help with invoking standard mail app in windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Astan Chee, Dec 18, 2009.

  1. Astan Chee

    Astan Chee Guest

    Hi,
    I'm trying to launch standard mail app in windows and after looking
    around most look like this:

    import urllib, webbrowser, win32api
    def mailto_url(to=None,subject=None,body=None,cc=None):
    """
    encodes the content as a mailto link as described on
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2368.html
    """
    url = "mailto: " + urllib.quote(to.strip(),"@,")
    sep = "?"
    if cc:
    url+= sep + "cc=" + urllib.quote(cc,"@,")
    sep = "&"
    if subject:
    url+= sep + "subject=" + urllib.quote(subject,"")
    sep = "&"
    if body:
    # Also note that line breaks in the body of a message MUST be
    # encoded with "%0D%0A". (RFC 2368)
    body="\r\n".join(body.splitlines())
    url+= sep + "body=" + urllib.quote(body,"")
    sep = "&"
    return url

    url = mailto_url(txtTo,txtSubject,body,txtCC)
    # win32api.ShellExecute(0,'open',url,None,None,0)
    webbrowser.open(url,new=1)
    # os.startfile(url)

    all of these are having "WindowsError : [Error 5] Access is denied"
    errors. I'm using windows xp and python 2.5. I have outlook 2007
    installed as a default mail client. Clicking on any mailto links in html
    brings up the normal write mail from the mail client. Any ideas why this
    is happening or how do I debug what access is being denied?
    Thanks for any help
    Astan

    Astan Chee, Dec 18, 2009