    'syntax' error is?

    Evan

    , Jun 20, 2007

  2. Srini Guest

    Try
    INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
    '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661',@ 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')

    Notice the @ sign. "\" is an escape character. You have to use 2 '\'s if you
    dont use the @ sign.

    HTH

    Srini, Jun 20, 2007

    I was using Visual Basic, and did not believe that to be the problem.
    I tried anyway, used the @ symbol. That didn't work, so I tried using
    '\\' instead. Finally, I removed the last field altogether and had
    just:

    INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password) VALUES ('a',
    '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661')

    and the query still failed.

    I'm totally lost now.

    Evan

    On Jun 20, 4:27 pm, "Srini" <> wrote:
    > Try
    > INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
    > '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661',@ 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
    >
    > Notice the @ sign. "\" is an escape character. You have to use 2 '\'s if you
    > dont use the @ sign.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Good day,

    > > I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
    > > handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
    > > database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
    > > say the least.

    > > My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
    > > order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:

    > > INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
    > > '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')

    > > This structure comes fromhttp://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp

    > > Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
    > > syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
    > > 'syntax' error is?

    > > Evan

    , Jun 21, 2007
  4. Hans Kesting Guest

    > Good day,
    >
    > I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
    > handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
    > database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
    > say the least.
    >
    > My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
    > order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:
    >
    > INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
    > '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
    >
    > This structure comes from http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
    >
    > Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
    > syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
    > 'syntax' error is?
    >
    > Evan

    How are you executing this? C# or VB don't know anything about SQL commands.
    You will have to use some sort of SqlCommand to send this sql-statement
    to the database.

    If this is not the problem, show some more code about how you are trying
    to use it.

    Hans Kestin

    Hans Kesting, Jun 21, 2007
  5. Larry Bud Guest

    On Jun 20, 4:12 pm, wrote:
    > Good day,
    >
    > I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
    > handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
    > database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
    > say the least.
    >
    > My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
    > order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:
    >
    > INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
    > '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
    >
    > This structure comes fromhttp://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
    >
    > Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
    > syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
    > 'syntax' error is?

    A few things. First, are you building the insert string? If so, are
    you positive it's building the way you think it is?

    Always try the sql statement in query analyzer to see if your SQL
    statement is valid, or if you're building a poor SQL statement.

    Larry Bud, Jun 22, 2007
  6. Poldie Guest

    On Jun 21, 4:58 am, wrote:
    > I was using Visual Basic, and did not believe that to be the problem.
    > I tried anyway, used the @ symbol. That didn't work, so I tried using
    > '\\' instead. Finally, I removed the last field altogether and had
    > just:
    >
    > INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password) VALUES ('a',
    > '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661')
    >
    > and the query still failed.
    >
    > I'm totally lost now.

    What error are you getting? Have you tried putting username and/or
    password into [square brackets] in case they are reserved words? Is
    the username field large enough for the size of the data you're trying
    to put into it? Is there any validation on the database which is
    rejecting your data for violating constraints, primary key etc?

    Poldie, Jun 22, 2007
  7. It looks to me like it may be a data type exception, if the second column is
    of SQL type uniqueidentifier, which is the same thing as a guid. The format
    looks similar to the uniqueidentifier binary format, which would not have
    single quotes around it. A uniqueidentifier value in a query should only
    have single quotes around it when it is in the string format
    'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx'.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer