help!!!

Seebs

What more did you want? :)

Well, formal "deprecation" in the language standards sense, as in, "warning,
we will be removing this from future versions of this language". There's a
difference between something like gets() or tempnam(), where some compilers
will refuse to link programs which call them, and something like scanf(),
where I've never heard of a compiler doing anything of the sort.

-s

geremy condra

Correction: <sarcasm> Since when have programmers argued semantics/syntax?

But tabs ARE spaces (specifically 3 of them), in a row ;)

<shudder>

Geremy Condra

Jed Smith

and something like scanf(), where I've never heard of a compiler doing anything of the sort.

By default, MSVC complains hard enough when using scanf() to make you
regret it (I think? been a while).

Steven D'Aprano

That's quite a different statement than "men are more good at it than
women".

But that's not what he said. He said more men are good at programming
than women.

"More men are taller than 6'6" than women"

versus

"Men are more taller than 6'6" than women"

Robert Kern

But that's not what he said. He said more men are good at programming
than women.

I suck at reading, apparently.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Andreas Waldenburger

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:11:37 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:

On 10/11/10 8:44 AM, Jason Swails wrote:

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Andreas Waldenburger

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:51:46 +1300 Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In
message<[email protected]
Emile van Sebille wrote:

Oh come now -- isn't being lazy a primary
programmer's attribute?

I wonder if that’s why more men are good at it than
women...

You may want to think about whether this really was your
intended meaning.

Sure it was -- men are lazy; programmers are primarily lazy;
explains why programmers are predominantly men (for the time
being, at least). Made perfect sense to me.

That's quite a different statement than "men are more good at it
than women".

But that's not what he said. He said more men are good at
programming than women.

I suck at reading, apparently.

[snip]
I was a teacher of Computer Sciences for some
years.... in my case, women were better
programming than men..... but sure, on the IT
industry the percentage of men is a lot more than the one of women.
Why?
Remarks like the above are probably not helping.

/W

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jorge said:
I was a teacher of Computer Sciences for some
years.... in my case, women were better
programming than men..... but sure, on the IT
industry the percentage of men is a lot more than the one of women. Why?

Did you follow up your graduates to see what kind of jobs they ended up
doing?