    Thanks in advance,
    Samuël van Laere
    the Netherlands
    Samuël van Laere, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:59:15 GMT, Samuël van Laere <>
    declared in alt.html:

    @media screen { .foo {display:none;} }

    > Just in case one like to know what text i like to hide onscreen but not in
    > screenreaders:
    > End of page

    Surely a screen reader is capable of working out where the page ends?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Samuël van Laere

    Spartanicus Guest

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >> I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
    >> screenreaders to read the text.

    >@media screen { .foo {display:none;} }

    Screen readers typically render what is shown on screen. Positioning the
    element off screen is the way to do this.

    >> Just in case one like to know what text i like to hide onscreen but not in
    >> screenreaders:
    >> End of page

    >Surely a screen reader is capable of working out where the page ends?

    Indeed.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:32:38 +0100, Spartanicus <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Screen readers typically render what is shown on screen.

    Ah. Because they just sit on top of another browser (e.g. IE), and use
    its rendering engine. Are there any "true" aural browsers (i.e. with
    their own rendering engine)?

    I have to admit, I have a fairly limited understanding of aural
    browsers. I guess I was being a bit too idealistic.

    Mark Parnell, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Samuël van Laere

    Spartanicus Guest

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >Are there any "true" aural browsers (i.e. with
    >their own rendering engine)?

    Afaik http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/ is so far the only to support
    aural css. I don't know anything about it's rendering engine.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Samuël van Laere

    Deryck Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
    > screenreaders to read the text.
    > I've tried both display: none and visibility: hidden but in both cases
    > Jaws
    > couldn't read the text.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this?

    Is this what you are looking for?....
    ..hidden
    {
    position:absolute;
    left:0px;
    top:-500px;
    width:1px;
    height:1px;
    overflow:hidden;
    } <div class="hidden">This text is hidden.</div>The text is out of the
    viewable area but still gets read by a screen reader. I'm not sure whether
    your definition of screen is the same as the viewable area or not.The above
    was taken from http://www.webaim.org/techniques/articles/hiddentextHTHDeryck
    Deryck, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Thanks for the input all,
    I'll go with Bohman's method described here:
    http://www.webaim.org/techniques/articles/hiddentext
    thanks for the URI Deryck

    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    the Netherlands

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 6, 2004
  8. "Deryck" <> wrote:

    > viewable area but still gets read by a screen reader.

    But, of course, it is in no way hidden to any browser that has CSS
    support disabled, or has no CSS support. This includes search engines.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 6, 2004
  9. .oO(Mark Parnell)

    >On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:59:15 GMT, Samuël van Laere <>
    >declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> I wonder if it is possible to hide text onscreen, while still allowing
    >> screenreaders to read the text.

    >@media screen { .foo {display:none;} }

    ScreenreaderVisibility
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility