Hiding browser's menu and toolbar

Andy Lim

Hi all,

In my recent asp.net (2.0) project, I want to give a desktop-application
look and feel to my users.
I think I'll do it by hiding the browser's default menu & toolbar right from
the default page (i.e: default.aspx), which also serve as my login page. And
it should have cross-browsers capability.

Can anyone give me some examples on how to do it?

Many thanks in advance,
Andy

Tim Mackey

just as long as you remember that lots of users will hate you for it. for
example, me, as a programmer, i can understand why another programmer such
as you would want to provide a nice desktop like environment, with
right-click context menus and a complete navigation system. but you have to
remember it still is on the web and that means some people will want to go
back, forward, add to favourites, view source, use their google toolbar
'find on this page' stuff, highlight words etc.

the nasty trick you require is here: (at least the best i could find)
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...read/thread/4925979267025f8b/bf15c5a6bd2b62ca
you will need to do some type of window.open in javascript, because you
can't change the current window. i think if you really really want this,
you will have to run your site in a popup window.

tim

Mark Rae

In my recent asp.net (2.0) project, I want to give a desktop-application
look and feel to my users.
I think I'll do it by hiding the browser's default menu & toolbar right
from the default page (i.e: default.aspx), which also serve as my login
page. And it should have cross-browsers capability.

That will only serve to really irritate your users...

If ever I'm forced to use a site which does that, the first thing I do is
hit F11 to restore everything...

Andy Lim

Hi,

I see your points, guys.

In this particular project, I'll be dealing with novice users. But they
might familiar in working with a desktop appl before. So, my sole intention
of doing so is nothing more than to make a smooth transition between these 2
worlds in regard of convenience.

Anyway, thanks to share your opinion.

Regards,
Andy