Hiding/Changing status in IFrame.

Ashish Taralekar

Hi,
I am using IFrame to load a webpage into it. When the page is
getting loaded into the IFrame the status bar shows the actual link of
that webpage i.e. "Waiting for http://www.abc.com/processing.html".
So, I want to hide this status message or change it to something else.
I tried using window.status = ' '; and window.defaultStatus = ' '; but
nothing worked as required.
The above code (window.status = ' ';) works fine if you access the
Processing.html page without IFrame i.e. it is showing the status
message as blank.

What could be the solution to get this done?

Regards,
Ashish.

Stevo

Ashish said:
Hi,
I am using IFrame to load a webpage into it. When the page is
getting loaded into the IFrame the status bar shows the actual link of
that webpage i.e. "Waiting for http://www.abc.com/processing.html".
So, I want to hide this status message or change it to something else.
I tried using window.status = ' '; and window.defaultStatus = ' '; but
nothing worked as required.
The above code (window.status = ' ';) works fine if you access the
Processing.html page without IFrame i.e. it is showing the status
message as blank.

What could be the solution to get this done?

Regards,
Ashish.

You can pretty much forget about changing the window.status these days.
Since IE7 and Firefox 2 you could no longer change the status bar
string. Your code will continue to work just fine on <= IE6 and <
Firefox 2. Considering those two browsers alone constitute 90% of
browsers, it's not worth pursuing.

A user can (if they want to) enable status updating from JavaScript, but
by default it's not enabled.

I can't remember whether Safari and/or Chrome allow it to be changed
because I gave up trying to change it.

Ashish Taralekar

You can pretty much forget about changing the window.status these days.
Since IE7 and Firefox 2 you could no longer change the status bar
string. Your code will continue to work just fine on <= IE6 and <
Firefox 2. Considering those two browsers alone constitute 90% of
browsers, it's not worth pursuing.

A user can (if they want to) enable status updating from JavaScript, but
by default it's not enabled.

I can't remember whether Safari and/or Chrome allow it to be changed
because I gave up trying to change it.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I tried it on IE6, Safari and it is changing the status message.
Actually, on IE6 the status message changed only when the page gets
completely rendered into IFrame.
But, isn't there any workaround to do for browsers > IE6 and Firefox?

Thanks,
~Ashish.

Gregor Kofler

Am Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:48:03 -0700 schrieb Ashish Taralekar:
Yes, I tried it on IE6, Safari and it is changing the status message.
Actually, on IE6 the status message changed only when the page gets
completely rendered into IFrame.
But, isn't there any workaround to do for browsers > IE6 and Firefox?
Nope. Because this (security-)feature would otherwise be useless.

Gregor

Stevo

Gregor said:
Am Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:48:03 -0700 schrieb Ashish Taralekar:

Nope. Because this (security-)feature would otherwise be useless.

Gregor

As I said in my first reply (but as I re-read it I can see it's
ambiguous) - it can only be enabled by the user (in the browser options)
if they specifically want to see the status changes. An example of why
this makes sense is if you want to use the status bar yourself as a
means of letting your code show you (only) some debug info via the
status bar.

If you want to alter the status bar for all users to "hide" some info
that you don't want to be there, then as Gregor said, you're trying to
workaround what the browser developers have deliberately tried to stop
you doing.

An obvious example is some malicious code that tries to make a
particular link look like it goes somewhere more friendly than the nasty
place it really goes to (although there's an easier way of doing that
anyway).