history+readline+ncurses

tphipps1

A betteranalogywould be an old-fashioned (not self-service) store,
where you have to ask the clerk to get your items. You go into the
store and see clearly on the shelf what you want; you know it is there,
you know they could sell it to you; in fact, you may even have seen them
sell it to other (presumably, privileged) people. But, when you ask for
it, they say "Nope, we don't have it. We never have and never will.
Furthermore, you can probably get it at 'XYZ' store, which is 3 miles
away".

Somehow, the advice seems a little less than well-intentioned.

The situation is more like: "I'm afraid we don't stock what you want
here. But I know that our other store down the road, our
comp.unix.programming branch, definitely has it in stock as we speak.
Of course, we could order it in specially, but the other store is only
5 minutes down the road - why don't you pop in there yourself, and
you'll be able to pick it up this morning? Have a nice day! Happy
holidays!" (well, maybe not the last bit).

Kenny McCormack

The situation is more like: "I'm afraid we don't stock what you want
here. But I know that our other store down the road, our
comp.unix.programming branch, definitely has it in stock as we speak.
Of course, we could order it in specially, but the other store is only
5 minutes down the road - why don't you pop in there yourself, and
you'll be able to pick it up this morning? Have a nice day! Happy
holidays!" (well, maybe not the last bit).

No. It's not.

The stores are explicitly *not* branches of a common company.

Old Wolf

A better analogy would be an old-fashioned (not self-service) store,
where you have to ask the clerk to get your items. You go into the
store and see clearly on the shelf what you want; you know it is there,
you know they could sell it to you; in fact, you may even have seen them
sell it to other (presumably, privileged) people. But, when you ask for
it, they say "Nope, we don't have it. We never have and never will.
Furthermore, you can probably get it at 'XYZ' store, which is 3 miles
away".

Somehow, the advice seems a little less than well-intentioned.

You get what you pay for.

Dave Vandervies

Thomas Dickey wrote, On 10/02/07 19:13:

Are you suggesting that students are not polite or that they do not have
to follow accepted conventions on news groups? I know a few students who
would consider such suggestions to be wrong and possibly insulting.

"possibly"?

dave

Flash Gordon

Dave Vandervies wrote, On 20/02/07 22:47:
"possibly"?

I would have to ask them for conformation. Different people have
different levels at which they consider something insulting.

Keith Thompson

Flash Gordon said:
Dave Vandervies wrote, On 20/02/07 22:47:

I would have to ask them for conformation. Different people have
different levels at which they consider something insulting.

Hey, I resent that!

(You see?)