Hit redirection & HTTP_REFERER

Troy

Hi all,

I have a hit counter that is utilized through a page on our webserver
to track statistics on our clients internally. However, on the
hitcounter page i do a server side re-direct on our server to the new
URL. This does not however pass the HTTP_REFERER variable to our
clients homepage as the user didn't actually click an anchor tag with an
HREF to the specific URL. We *need* to do this - so what we want to do
is still use the internal stats we keep, but some how pass the
HTTP_REFERER info via javascript or something to our clients site? From
my research so far - this does not seem possible. I've even tested with
a META refresh, javascritp document.location.href redirect and so on.
All of them will not pass the HTTP_REFERER unless the user actually
clicks the <a> tag with the exact URL in it. Any insight on this would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joerg Jooss

Troy said:
Hi all,

I have a hit counter that is utilized through a page on our
webserver to track statistics on our clients internally. However, on
the hitcounter page i do a server side re-direct on our server to the
new URL.

There is no such thing as server-side redirect. Redirects are "special" HTTP
your web application's platform. So I guess you're doing a
Server.Transfer()?
This does not however pass the HTTP_REFERER variable to our
clients homepage as the user didn't actually click an anchor tag with
an HREF to the specific URL. We *need* to do this [...]

Then you better start rethinking your approach. Proxies may change this
header as they see fit. Unless you're talking about an intranet solution,
this is completely beyond your control.

Cheers,