Hosed copy of Ruby, Gem, etc.?

Preston Crawford

So I decided to instlal Rails. I needed to install from source since
RHEL included 1.8.1. I did this, installed from source, then gems, then
rails, all after uninstalling the ruby RPM for RHEL. Yet binaries still
remain in the path RHEL used (/usr/bin/rails, /usr/bin/ruby, etc.). Is
there any way to clean this up? The new stuff is in /usr/local/bin.

Preston

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Hey preston-
One way to fix this would be to put /usr/local/bin in your path =20
BEFORE /usr/bin. That way the new ruby will be called instead of the =20
old one. If you don't like that one then just rename the /usr/bin/=20
ruby and friends to /usr/bin/ruby.orig and it will still be there =20
but never will be called by accident.
And in case you are having any othyer difficulties I made this =20
tutorial on installing the whole rails/lighttpd/fcgi stack on RHEL =20
from source so maybe it will be of some use to you.

Install the complete Ruby on Rails and Lighttpd/fastcgi/php Stack =20
from source with the fastcgi dev kit and the pcre's. This has been =20
tested on RHEL4, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu and OSX. It should work on most =20=

Linux Distro's and probably BSD as well(not tested)
Get Ruby1.8.2

wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.p...by-1.8.2.tar.gz
tar xvzf ruby-*
cd ruby-1.8.2
/configure
make
make test
sudo make install

Get Ruby gems

wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.p...gems-0.8.10.tgz
tar xvzf rubygems*
cd rubygems*
sudo ruby setup.rb

Get Rails and a few other gems

sudo gem install rails RedCloth search_generator =20
salted_login_generator production_log_analyzer
answer yes to all dependencies

Get mysql-ruby C bindings (the pure ruby ones suck)

wget http://www.tmtm.org/en/mysql/ruby/mysql-ruby-2.6.tar.gz
tar zxvf mysql-ruby-*
cd mysql-ruby-*
ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
make
sudo make install

download fastcgi developers kit

wget http://fastcgi.com/dist/fcgi.tar.gz
tar xvzf fcgi-2.4.0.tar.gz
cd fcgi*
/configure
make
sudo make install

Get the new non memory leaking ruby-fastcgi bindings

wget http://sugi.nemui.org/pub/ruby/fcgi...gi-0.8.6.tar.gz
tar xzvf ruby-fcgi*
ruby install.rb config --without-ext
ruby install.rb setup
sudo ruby install.rb install

We need the correct pcre .so=92s for lighttpd to work correctly

wget ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/softwar...pcre-5.0.tar.gz
tar xzvf pcre-5.0.tar.gz
cd pcre-*
/configure
make
sudo make install

Get lighttpd

wget http://www.lighttpd.net/download/lighttpd-1.3.14.tar.gz
tar xzvf lighttpd-1.3.13.tar.gz
cd lighttpd-*
/configure
make
sudo make install

Compile php as a fast-cgi binary The main thing here is the following =20=

configure options. You can add whatever else you like to your php =20
binary but these are needed for fast-cgi support.

$ ./configure \
--enable-fastcgi \
--enable-discard-path \
--enable-force-cgi-redirect \

Lighttpd Launcher Script

Here is a link for a sweet enhancement. Put this script in your =20
RAILS_ROOT/script folder and put the lighttpd.conf file in RAILS_ROOT/=20=

config. Now you can launch your rails app by cd=92ing into your =20
RAILS_ROOT for your app and typing:
$ruby script/lighty -p 7500 -e development (or whatever port & env =20
you want to use)

Now you can hit http://localhost:7500/ and you will get your app =20
running on lighttpd no muss no fuss. Very sweet for development. Here =20=

is the link: http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/303 . Name =20
the first ruby script lighty and name the config file lighttpd.conf. =20
Now every time you start your app this way is creates a new =20
lighttpd.conf in /tmp and starts lighttpd up with that file. This way =20=

you can give it command line options as to what port to bind to and =20
others. I=92m using this for development and it is sweet!

Hope that helps-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster