how am I killed IIS?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tarun Mistry, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Tarun Mistry

    Tarun Mistry Guest

    Hi everyone, I am somehow managing to kill IIS, please help (running ASP.NET
    2.0).

    I have a page (PAGE) with a dynamically loaded control (DLC1), this control
    itself has a further dynamically loaded control with in (DCL2).

    My submit button is on DLC1, my form contents are in DCL2.

    When the page is submitted, I catch the button click in DLC1 and try to
    process the incoming post data, however, at this point DLC2 is not longer
    generated as i dont need it, i just need the post data. Im unsure if this is
    causing the crash, however on submitting, nothnig happens, finally IIS locks
    up and needs to be restarted with the cryptic error:

    EventType clr20r3, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.0, P3 3e8000e6, P4
    appdemonstrator1, P5 1.0.2248.37490, P6 44021465, P7 5f, P8 0, P9
    system.stackoverflowexception, P10 NIL.

    Any help really appreciated , any ideas guys?

    Thanks!

    Tarun Mistry, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Tarun,
    A stackoverflow exception usually indicates some sort of infinitely
    recursive operation that is occurring. We don't know exactly what your code
    does, but if you look it over very carefully, you should be able to find the
    boo-boo and fix it so this doesn't happen. A control could be created, which
    attempts to create itself, etc. etc. ad-infinitum. That's just a simplified
    example.
    --Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Tarun Mistry

    Tarun Mistry Guest

    OH DEAR GOD THE PAIN!!!!

    Can you see the problem with the following property?? :( God so many hours
    of grief!! :)

    Indeed... infinite recursion, but not where i thought it would be!

    public string Labname
    {
    get{return this.Labname;}
    set{this.labname = value;}
    }

    For those who dont see the error, the get clause is return Labname (capital
    L) and not labname, in effect it was calling itself forever!

    THE PAIN! :D
    Thank god it is over!
    Taz

    Tarun Mistry, Feb 26, 2006
  4. God?

    Edwin Knoppert, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Tarun,
    I knew you'd find it. Don't feel bad, I myself have done this.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Feb 27, 2006
  6. I'll second that: I've done this so many times that whenever I get a
    stackoverflow exception I immediately go to my properties. Add it to
    your list of "things to be paranoid about".

    Flinky Wisty Pomm, Feb 27, 2006
  7. Tarun Mistry

    Tarun Mistry Guest

    > I'll second that: I've done this so many times that whenever I get a
    > stackoverflow exception I immediately go to my properties. Add it to
    > your list of "things to be paranoid about".

    It is indeed added :)

    Thanks all,
    Taz

    Tarun Mistry, Feb 27, 2006