How best to highlight an an item...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.

    People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    server know which row needs the style.

    Can't think of any normal html/css way of doing this. Not
    particularly keen on a js way ...though I might consider it as it
    is sort of an extra bit of help and not fundamentally bad if
    anyone has it turned off.

    Anyone know of a php way perhaps? Do I have to go to alt.php. or
    alt.js.

    Can't I please just stay here? I like it here in spite of my bad
    treatment.

    I am reminded of that php stuff that I have used to stick in an
    id="current" on some list items depending on the html file being
    accessed. Perhaps it will all be clear by morning. But if anyone
    knows the way to go without blinding me with science... please,
    do spill the beans. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 21, 2007

  2. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    >
    > People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    > ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    > things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    > stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    > was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    > the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    > something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    > help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    > server know which row needs the style.
    >
    > Can't think of any normal html/css way of doing this. Not
    > particularly keen on a js way ...though I might consider it as it
    > is sort of an extra bit of help and not fundamentally bad if
    > anyone has it turned off.
    >
    > Anyone know of a php way perhaps? Do I have to go to alt.php. or
    > alt.js.
    >
    > Can't I please just stay here? I like it here in spite of my bad
    > treatment.
    >
    > I am reminded of that php stuff that I have used to stick in an
    > id="current" on some list items depending on the html file being
    > accessed. Perhaps it will all be clear by morning. But if anyone
    > knows the way to go without blinding me with science... please,
    > do spill the beans. <g>

    I do something similar in a CMS. There is a table of, say, pages. One of
    those pages will be the current one being actioned (deleted, renamed, edited
    or whatever).

    // $arr is an array of rows from the database.
    // $current is the index into this array of the page being actioned.
    for ($i = 0;$i < count($arr);$i++)
    {
    echo '<tr';
    if ($i == $current)
    {
    echo " class='current'";
    }
    // optional if you want rows coloured alternatively. Easier to read.
    else if ($i % 2)
    {
    echo "class='odd'";
    }
    echo ">\r\n";
    // echo a <td> for each field in the row
    echo "</tr>\r\n";
    }

    Flavour 'current' and 'odd' to taste, probably using background colour.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 21, 2007

  3. dorayme

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 21 Aug, 09:12, dorayme <> wrote:

    > Can't think of any normal html/css way of doing this. Not
    > particularly keen on a js way

    No reliable :hover outside of <a>, so you're stuck with either JS or
    both. Both works fine. It's hardly a crucial feature, so a graceful JS
    degradation shoudl be OK too.

    Use standard JS rollover code to flip the class on the row. You should
    be easily able to integrate this with your CSS rules for the :hover
    selector too. Make sure that the JS doesn't wipe out any previous
    class settings though, such as an even/odd indicator for a striped
    table.

    > Anyone know of a php way perhaps?

    Nope. It's an asynchronous client-side event, you're going to have to
    cope with it client-side.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 21, 2007
  4. dorayme

    mbstevens Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    >
    > People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    > ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    > things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    > stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    > was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    > the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    > something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    > help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    > server know which row needs the style.

    You might modify one of these demos of meyers
    to make an arrow appear at the
    beginning (and/or end) of each row as it is hovered:

    http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
    http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    mbstevens, Aug 21, 2007
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    > >
    > > People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    > > ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    > > things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    > > stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    > > was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    > > the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    > > something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    > > help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    > > server know which row needs the style.

    > You might modify one of these demos of meyers
    > to make an arrow appear at the
    > beginning (and/or end) of each row as it is hovered:
    >
    > http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
    > http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    Hi mb, hovering effects are nothing I want here.

    It is like this: a company clerk somewhere in the world will be
    looking at some url in some paperwork where he needs to go to
    download something. The thing he needs will be in a row of a
    table on a web page that I produce. He can easily scroll the
    table and find it (all rational alpha numerical order), but it
    would be nice if it jumped out at him in case he has had a heavy
    night. The css is the easy bit. The harder bit is getting the
    style to apply to the bit he wants when he clicks the url.

    Sure, the url will have a #... tacked on and this gets the item
    on the browser window. Very helpful. But the clerk has had a
    _very_ heavy night and a bit more help for him would be nice.

    I think rf has a route, I do not have a data base though. But I
    will keep his code (thanks rf, if I have understood you?) for
    future or mull over it a while.

    There are many other ways I can work things but it would be nice
    to get or make some script I could stick on the page in the head
    to cause row 473 at url#473 to stand out. AD says it cannot be
    done server-side. JS will do, I guess, for this. So now to think
    about or find a js script to do the job. If anyone knows a
    specific url to any js that would help, I would appreciate it.

    About the actual styling I favour more than just background
    colour, I rather fancy a lot more padding, that would grab the
    clerk's attention.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 21, 2007
  6. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    > I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    >
    > People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    > ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    > things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    > stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    > was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    > the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    > something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    > help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    > server know which row needs the style.

    [snip]

    http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php

    --
    BootNic Tuesday August 21, 2007 6:42 PM
    Humor is an affirmation of dignity, a declaration of man's

    BootNic, Aug 21, 2007
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9993BE5C92C05BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
    BootNic <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    > >
    > > People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    > > ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    > > things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    > > stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    > > was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    > > the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    > > something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    > > help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    > > server know which row needs the style.

    > [snip]
    > > I am reminded of that php stuff that I have used to stick in an
    > > id="current" on some list items depending on the html file being
    > > accessed. Perhaps it will all be clear by morning. But if anyone
    > > knows the way to go without blinding me with science... please,
    > > do spill the beans. <g>

    > http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php

    This looks very promising to me. I need to study it further.
    After breakfast. My quick test just now was:

    I clicked on one of your blue links at top. This got me an
    address I wanted to see in the url bar. I got

    <http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php?row=1#j-kl
    o70001>

    I notice that to get a different row I need to change both the
    "row=..." and of course, the end number 7000... in the url bar.
    This does the trick of directing a complete outsider to the table
    with a particular row highlighted. This might well do me! Thanks
    for this. I am almost sure to use it. Will let you know how it
    goes.

    (Hey BootNic, because the php is not linked and named, how can I
    name it in your honour as with a previous bit of js you made a
    while back? I will have to sprinkle some comments about in the
    html <g>)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 22, 2007
  8. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    dorayme <> wrote: news:doraymeRidThis-
    :

    > In article <Xns9993BE5C92C05BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
    > BootNic <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >> http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php

    > This looks very promising to me. I need to study it further.
    > After breakfast. My quick test just now was:
    >
    > I clicked on one of your blue links at top. This got me an
    > address I wanted to see in the url bar. I got
    >
    > <http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php?row=1#j-kl
    > o70001>
    >
    > I notice that to get a different row I need to change both the
    > "row=..." and of course, the end number 7000... in the url bar.
    > This does the trick of directing a complete outsider to the table
    > with a particular row highlighted. This might well do me! Thanks
    > for this. I am almost sure to use it. Will let you know how it
    > goes.

    If you are pulling this out of a data base perhaps the id and row should
    be based on the uniqueId, and not the row count as in my very simple
    example. Same basic ideal, just matching it to something a bit more
    dependable.

    > (Hey BootNic, because the php is not linked and named, how can I
    > name it in your honour as with a previous bit of js you made a
    > while back? I will have to sprinkle some comments about in the
    > html <g>)

    You are giving me more credit then I deserve. This is nothing new at all.
    However if you like, I would not object to:

    <!--
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/3b08e1e59843
    a49d
    -->

    --
    BootNic Tuesday August 21, 2007 8:52 PM
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists

    BootNic, Aug 22, 2007
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9993D45563043BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
    BootNic <> wrote:

    > > <http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php?row=1#j-kl
    > > o70001>
    > >
    > > I notice that to get a different row I need to change both the
    > > "row=..." and of course, the end number 7000... in the url bar.
    > > This does the trick of directing a complete outsider to the table
    > > with a particular row highlighted. This might well do me! Thanks
    > > for this. I am almost sure to use it. Will let you know how it
    > > goes.

    > If you are pulling this out of a data base perhaps the id and row should
    > be based on the uniqueId, and not the row count as in my very simple
    > example. Same basic ideal, just matching it to something a bit more
    > dependable.

    I left out of my previous message some queries about this matter.
    Just thought I would first look at your script more closely.
    Ideally, I would like to id each row <tr id="..."> because it
    would be nice not to have to ask my client to put text with
    row="..." in as part of their code. It is desirable to make the
    code for the product exactly the same as this id. I have nothing
    to do with my client's database. I just want to make sure that
    they have a unique address for each product in my table, there is
    one product per row and each row can have an id. This way there
    is a simple rule for the client to make a unique url for any
    product whatsoever, namely:

    Put # followed by the code onto a base url.

    Whereas with your scheme, I have to tell them the exact appendage
    for each product, or they have to look to see the row it is on
    (There are other categorization issues I have left out for
    simplicity, the rows will be broken up and there will probably
    end up being more than one table).

    So, I will have to look at this more closely.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 22, 2007
  10. dorayme

    mbstevens Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > It is like this: a company clerk somewhere in the world will be
    > looking at some url in some paperwork where he needs to go to
    > download something. The thing he needs will be in a row of a
    > table on a web page that I produce. He can easily scroll the
    > table and find it (all rational alpha numerical order), but it
    > would be nice if it jumped out at him in case he has had a heavy
    > night. The css is the easy bit. The harder bit is getting the
    > style to apply to the bit he wants when he clicks the url.

    OK, I _think_ I see what you're trying to do now.
    What server side languages do you have available?

    If the visitor has a CGI link like, e.g., "x.com?450,"
    then you can change not only the page's content, but
    the generated page's CSS given the stuff after the question
    mark (in this case, 450).

    If you don't have a data base, as you say, that is too bad. But if
    the number of possible generated pages is not really huge, you can
    easily keep CSS highlighting information in, e.g., a "450.template" file along with
    the particular content for that generated page. Then you use the
    information in that file as a template for the generated page.

    Whether this is practicable depends on how many possible pages there are
    and how you calculate the content. Even if you had SQL or such available,
    the general practice of storing specialized CSS with specialized content
    should work. If the number and size of changes on possible pages is quite
    small, you can even store it inside the program itself in an associative
    array.

    mbstevens, Aug 22, 2007
  11. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > It is like this: a company clerk somewhere in the world will be
    > > looking at some url in some paperwork where he needs to go to
    > > download something. The thing he needs will be in a row of a
    > > table on a web page that I produce. He can easily scroll the
    > > table and find it (all rational alpha numerical order), but it
    > > would be nice if it jumped out at him in case he has had a heavy
    > > night. The css is the easy bit. The harder bit is getting the
    > > style to apply to the bit he wants when he clicks the url.

    > OK, I _think_ I see what you're trying to do now.
    > What server side languages do you have available?

    I have php. Probably cgi ...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 22, 2007
  12. dorayme wrote:
    > I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    >
    > People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    > ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    > things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    > stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    > was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    > the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    > something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    > help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    > server know which row needs the style.
    >
    > Can't think of any normal html/css way of doing this. Not
    > particularly keen on a js way ...though I might consider it as it
    > is sort of an extra bit of help and not fundamentally bad if
    > anyone has it turned off.
    >
    > Anyone know of a php way perhaps? Do I have to go to alt.php. or
    > alt.js.
    >
    > Can't I please just stay here? I like it here in spite of my bad
    > treatment.
    >
    > I am reminded of that php stuff that I have used to stick in an
    > id="current" on some list items depending on the html file being
    > accessed. Perhaps it will all be clear by morning. But if anyone
    > knows the way to go without blinding me with science... please,
    > do spill the beans. <g>

    I'd say this is best done server-side, that's where the code is
    received to begin with. You simply need to output a different css style
    for the desired row as you output the rows. Like:

    $desired_row = isset($_GET['row']) ? $_GET['row'] : false;
    if ($desired_row === false)
    { // do error checking, etc
    }

    //and then in your output code

    for($loop = 0; $loop<=$num_rows; $loop++)
    if ($loop == $desired_row)
    {
    //output an id, class for this row - define this class in the main
    html/css file
    // echo the row

    outside of that you need to ask in a PHP group... no need for js, etc.

    Norm

    Norman Peelman, Aug 22, 2007
  13. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <Xns9993D45563043BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
    > BootNic <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > I left out of my previous message some queries about this matter.
    > Just thought I would first look at your script more closely.
    > Ideally, I would like to id each row <tr id="..."> because it
    > would be nice not to have to ask my client to put text with
    > row="..." in as part of their code. It is desirable to make the
    > code for the product exactly the same as this id. I have nothing
    > to do with my client's database. I just want to make sure that
    > they have a unique address for each product in my table, there is
    > one product per row and each row can have an id. This way there
    > is a simple rule for the client to make a unique url for any
    > product whatsoever, namely:

    Can be done with id if that is what is desired. The basic ideal remains.

    > Put # followed by the code onto a base url.

    How about using / in place of #?

    > Whereas with your scheme, I have to tell them the exact appendage
    > for each product, or they have to look to see the row it is on
    > (There are other categorization issues I have left out for
    > simplicity, the rows will be broken up and there will probably
    > end up being more than one table).

    Not an issue :) Modifications were made see if its a bit more suitable.

    [url} http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php [/url]

    [snip]

    --
    BootNic Wednesday August 22, 2007 9:44 AM
    You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he

    BootNic, Aug 22, 2007
  14. dorayme

    El Kabong Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    >
    > People will be referencing parts of it via links that latch onto
    > ids that will be placed on the <tr>s. But while this will narrow
    > things down for folk, they will still see a whole lot of other
    > stuff depending on the vertical size of their browser window. I
    > was rather hoping there might be a neat way of also highlighting
    > the row concerned, not necessarily literally the row, but
    > something to mark it out as the one to be attended to. Need no
    > help with the actual css, more with how to let the browser or
    > server know which row needs the style.
    >
    > Can't think of any normal html/css way of doing this. Not
    > particularly keen on a js way ...though I might consider it as it
    > is sort of an extra bit of help and not fundamentally bad if
    > anyone has it turned off.
    >
    > Anyone know of a php way perhaps? Do I have to go to alt.php. or
    > alt.js.
    >
    > Can't I please just stay here? I like it here in spite of my bad
    > treatment.
    >
    > I am reminded of that php stuff that I have used to stick in an
    > id="current" on some list items depending on the html file being
    > accessed. Perhaps it will all be clear by morning. But if anyone
    > knows the way to go without blinding me with science... please,
    > do spill the beans. <g>

    I've never done it but according to "CSS Cookbook" by Christopher Schmitt,
    (available at Amazon for $29.69 USD,) you can "use the target pseudo-class
    to define the look of the elements when the user clicks on the anchored
    link."

    (Hope he doesn't mind me quoting him.)

    Here's how I think it would work in your example:

    ..sku th,td:target {
    background-color: #FFFF00;
    color: #00000
    font-weight: 800;
    }

    And then you would include class="sku" in appropriate cell elements... I
    think... maybe.

    If it works for you I may try it myself.

    El

    El Kabong, Aug 23, 2007
  15. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Ji6zi.12779$A57.11995@trnddc04>,
    "El Kabong" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > >I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    > > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    > >

    > I've never done it but according to "CSS Cookbook" by Christopher Schmitt,
    > (available at Amazon for $29.69 USD,) you can "use the target pseudo-class
    > to define the look of the elements when the user clicks on the anchored
    > link."
    >
    > (Hope he doesn't mind me quoting him.)
    >
    > Here's how I think it would work in your example:
    >
    > .sku th,td:target {
    > background-color: #FFFF00;
    > color: #00000
    > font-weight: 800;
    > }
    >
    > And then you would include class="sku" in appropriate cell elements... I
    > think... maybe.
    >
    > If it works for you I may try it myself.

    I wonder if we can do this a little differently El? There will be
    a side-splitting joke in it for you. My instinct tells me this
    will not work.

    Go to http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp and copy the source code. Please
    try out your suggestion on it. (Don't forget to put a semicolon
    after "color: #000". Leave out that font-weight too perhaps) and
    test in different browsers.

    You are the man, you have the book with the secrets. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
  16. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9994630A8EE0BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
    BootNic <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <Xns9993D45563043BootNic@216.168.3.70>,
    > > BootNic <> wrote:

    > > with your scheme, I have to tell them the exact appendage
    > > for each product, or they have to look to see the row it is on
    > > (There are other categorization issues I have left out for
    > > simplicity, the rows will be broken up and there will probably
    > > end up being more than one table).

    > Not an issue :) Modifications were made see if its a bit more suitable.
    >
    > [url} http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php [/url]

    You might have noticed that I am sorting out other basic issues
    first but I really would like to apply this sort of php as it
    should provide a nice touch. It sure works nice on your example.
    Pardon me for some haphazard comments here but I will come back
    to this issue later:

    Your latest replaces having to add

    row=1#j-klo70001

    to a base url if one wants a unique address with

    id=j-klo70001#j-klo70001

    This a bit longer in fact but easier to operate with for my
    client, they do not need to refer to rows anymore. They know the
    item code (j-klo70001 or whatever) from their end

    For internal linking, either of your schemes is fine.

    I have to work out how to dovetail it to my code.

    In the meantime, my work is accepted and there is now no urgent
    need for the client to do other than refer all people to one
    simple url (of the page) on which is an internal menu. That is
    where your php should be nice for further negotiation of the page.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
  17. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > Your latest replaces having to add
    >
    > row=1#j-klo70001
    >
    > to a base url if one wants a unique address with
    >
    > id=j-klo70001#j-klo70001
    >
    > This a bit longer in fact but easier to operate with for my
    > client, they do not need to refer to rows anymore. They know the
    > item code (j-klo70001 or whatever) from their end

    Its really much shorter and easier then that, the actual link would be
    something like:
    http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php/j-klo70001
    then the php converts and redirects to:
    http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php?id=j-klo70001#j-kl o70001

    [snip]

    --
    BootNic Thursday August 23, 2007 1:19 AM
    Optimism and humor are the grease and glue of life. Without both of

    BootNic, Aug 23, 2007
  18. dorayme

    El Kabong Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Ji6zi.12779$A57.11995@trnddc04>,
    > "El Kabong" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> >I will be soon making up a page with a table of items. There will
    >> > be a fair few rows. All not high, all tabular.
    >> >

    >> I've never done it but according to "CSS Cookbook" by Christopher
    >> Schmitt,
    >> (available at Amazon for $29.69 USD,) you can "use the target
    >> pseudo-class
    >> to define the look of the elements when the user clicks on the anchored
    >> link."
    >>
    >> (Hope he doesn't mind me quoting him.)
    >>
    >> Here's how I think it would work in your example:
    >>
    >> .sku th,td:target {
    >> background-color: #FFFF00;
    >> color: #00000
    >> font-weight: 800;
    >> }
    >>
    >> And then you would include class="sku" in appropriate cell elements... I
    >> think... maybe.
    >>
    >> If it works for you I may try it myself.

    > I wonder if we can do this a little differently El? There will be
    > a side-splitting joke in it for you. My instinct tells me this
    > will not work.
    >
    > Go to http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp and copy the source code. Please
    > try out your suggestion on it. (Don't forget to put a semicolon
    > after "color: #000". Leave out that font-weight too perhaps) and
    > test in different browsers.
    >
    > You are the man, you have the book with the secrets. <g>

    But, but, I was trying to avoid being terminally embarrassed by letting you
    work out the ugliness.

    Oh well, I'll read a little more of the book, maybe.

    :-|

    El

    El Kabong, Aug 23, 2007
  19. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9995DA2A7AEBootNic@216.168.3.70>,
    BootNic <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]

    > Its really much shorter and easier then that, the actual link would be
    > something like:
    > > http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php/j-klo70001 >
    > then the php converts and redirects to:
    > > http://bootnic.atwebpages.com/DataRowSelectExample.php?id=j-klo70001#j-kl > o70001 >

    I have been a bit shy of saying this, I like your idea and now
    that I am well under way to finishing all the basics on the page
    I have been working on (a lot of it involved sorting out artwork
    and zipping the packages up) I am ready for the "enhancement" of
    this highlighting business. But when I came to _actually_ do it,
    I am finding it none too easy. I thought it would be easy given
    your source code and all. My page is .html for a start. The
    server it is going to is set to process any php code, includes
    etc on .html pages. So is my home server.

    What is the very first thing I need to do to adapt it to my page?
    Suppose that <http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp> is a reasonable
    simplified model. What are the steps I need to take please?

    (Please rf, no smart remarks... it is pretty hard to admit my
    fallibility and innocence this publicly. Go ski down some hill...)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 24, 2007
  20. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:51:46
    GMT dorayme scribed:

    > Suppose that <http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp> is a reasonable
    > simplified model. What are the steps I need to take please?

    Hey, that source is rendered reasonably decently! Whatever you did there,
    stick with it.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 24, 2007