How Browsers (IE) understand file types.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Roberto, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Roberto

    Roberto Guest

    1) I have the following html code on the server:

    <HTML>
    <BODY>
    <A HREF = http://MyServer/MyDoc.doc> Click here to see the document</A>

    When I click on the link How Internet Explorer understand that it's a Word
    Document and It's necessary open it with Microsoft Word ? Is The extension
    to give the necessary information to Internet Explorer ?
    Where does IE look for the application to use to open the file on the server
    ? On the local registry ?
    I have tried to rename Mydoc.doc in MyDoc.pdf and I have called

    http://MyServer/MyDoc.pdf and the browser has opened Acrobat Reader but the
    binary format is for Microsoft Word.

    Does the Browser User an Http_Header sended automatically ? (for example
    HTTP_FILE_NAME....IF IT EXISTS)

    2)Now I have the following link:

    http://MyServer/ReturnMyDoc.asp

    It returns the binary data of MyDoc.doc file. Now I want to say to the
    browser that the file is called MyDoc.doc (I don't want to use Content Type
    = ms-application/msword) : is there a header to say this to Internet
    Explorer ?

    Thanks Rob.

    Roberto, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Roberto

    Mark Schupp Guest

    The association is in the client system registry. Usually set up when you
    install the application that is intended to view the document. look at .pdf
    and AcroExch.Document under hkey_classes_root for an example.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Hi Rob,

    Thank you Mark for your info. I thought I might expand on it a bit.

    1)
    IE knows which application to run based on the file's file extension (.doc
    or .pdf) along with the content type (ms-application/msword). IE matches
    these up with the local registry to determine which application to launch.

    2)
    Here the file extension is .asp. That means the content type must be used
    for IE to distinguish what application to launch. You wrote that you don't
    want to use content type either. That means IE will not know which
    application to launch.

    Thank you, Mike
    Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

    Mike Moore [MSFT], Oct 15, 2003